Google Calendar Syncing
Before attempting to sync your Google Calendar with a mobile device, please do the following:
- From a computer on the campus network, visit the Gustavus Homepage.
- Click on the Log in button in the upper right hand corner.
- After logging in click on your name next to the Log out button in the upper right hand corner.
- Under the Password section select - Sync password.
- Follow the prompts.
iOS Devices (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad)
- Open the Settings application.
- Open "Mail, Contacts, Calendars".
- Open "Add Account"
- Open "Gmail"
Enter in the Your Account Information:
- In the Name field enter your name.
- In the Email field enter your full Gustavus email address as shown in the image below.
- In the Password field enter your Gustavus email password.
- In the Description field enter a descriptive name of this calendar such as "Gustavus Google Calendar" as shown below.
- Tap Next at the top of your screen.
- You may be prompted with a message that reads "Cannot Get Mail: The user name or password for "imap.gmail.com" is incorrect."
- If this happens, tap OK and tap Next again.
- This will prompt you with another message reading "This account may not be able to send or receive emails. Are you sure you want to save?" Since this is a calendar set up, tap Save.
- Turn off Mail, Contacts, and Notes.
- Turn on Calendars.
- Tap Save.
Your Gustavus Google Calendar should now be configured for your iOS device. You can select which calendars to display through the Calendar app on your iOS device.
The easiest way to sync Google calendar with your Android device is to use the native Google Apps installed on the device (mail, contacts, calendar). To use your Gustavus google calendar, please follow these steps:
- Open the Accounts & sync settings screen on the device
- Choose Add account
- Choose Google
- Choose Sign in when prompted
- Sign in with your full Gustavus email and email password
- Select which services you would like to sync.
Windows Mobile Devices
Google has a program called Google Sync which will sync up to five calendars wirelessly with your Windows Mobile Device.
Apple's iCal is a great calendaring program built into Mac OSX. It integrates with programs that are built into Mac OSX such as Mail.app, Spotlight and Address Book. However, here at Gustavus, the majority of the campus uses Google Calendar (using the Google Apps for Education) to schedule events. By using CalDAV, this program and this service will work together. To use this service, you must have Mac OS X 10.5 or higher installed.
If you would like to solely use Google Calendar, and are currently using Apple iCal, it would be best to export your current iCal calendars and import them into Google Calendar as a first step.
Mac OS 10.6 or higher
- Open Calendar (iCal if you have OS X Version 10.6), go to Preferences and choose the Accounts tab.
- Click the + button to add an account.
- Select 'Google' under the Account Type
- Type in your Gustavus username and password
- When your finished, select the create button
For more trouble shooting questions, please see the Google Help page.
If you would like to sync your Google calendar with your Moodle class calendar, follow these steps:
- Log into the Gustavus Moodle server.
- Click on the "Go to calendar..." link located in the Upcoming Events block.
- Click on the "Export calendar" button in the center of the window.
- Select the options of your choice, and then click on the "Get calendar URL" button.
- Select and copy the URL that is given for iCalendar export.
- Now go to your Google Calendar and click on the Add > Add by URL link.
- Paste your Moodle calendar URL into the Public Calendar Address: field and click the Add button.
Your Moodle calendar should now sync with your Google Calendar based on the options you selected.