EudoraConverter requires the NNdbase.txt file from the user's machine, which can be found by following these steps (on the user's machine):
- Load Eudora
- Go to Help > About Eudora
- The line that begins 'Data:' is the directory that the NNdbase.txt file is contained in. Have the user e-mail this file to firstname.lastname@example.org or, if you are there getting the file, copy this file to a flash drive or e-mail it yourself.
- Run the executable file.
- Input the path to the NNdbase.txt file. You can leave it blank to default to NNDbase.txt in the current directory.
- After this, enter a name for the output file, or leave it blank. If it is left blank, the file will be called addrExport.tab.
Note: Please be sure to add the extension .ldif to your output file, as this are the only extension Thunderbird will recognize.
Note: Whatever you name the output file will be what Thunderbird will name the address book after it has been imported.
Important Note: You may need to download the Thunderbird extension that allows local addresses (without the @gac.edu part) since many faculty have gotten used to that and their address books are full of local addresses. Get it Here.
Importing the new Address Book
- Take the .ldif file that was the output of the script to the user
- Open Thunderbird, then the Address Book
- On the tools menu, select 'Import...'
- Choose 'Address Books', then 'Text File (LDIF, .tab. .csv, .txt)'
- Change the 'Files of type' dropdown box to be 'LDIF (.ldif)'
- Browse to and select the file. Thunderbird will then import the file and it should be available as a new Address Book on the left-hand side.
- Latest version is 2.0 as of 5/15/07
- EudoraConverter Latest Version
E-mail questions, comments, and concerns to Benn Sundsrud.
- Mailing lists are now properly handled
- Switched format to LDIF, which is much more sane than tab-delimited.
- Code is completely re-written (and much shorter and cleaner), so corner-case bugs may crop up (if so, contact me)
- Input file no longer required to be in same directory
- Some prompt cleanup
- Initial release