Employee iOS Setup
Use this article to setup a Gustavus-owned employee iPhone, iPod or iPad. This will setup the device automatically to work on the Gustavus network.
- 1 Initial Setup
- 2 Register Device on Network
- 3 Enroll and name iPad using Apple Configurator
- 4 Apply Apple Configurator Settings
- 5 Install and Configure Profile
- 6 Gustavus LDAP Contacts
- 7 Gustavus Email
- 8 Google Calendar Configuration
- 9 Passcode
- 10 Set Calendars to Sync
- 11 Connecting to a Computer
- 12 Syncing
All newer iOS devices with iOS 5 or greater will have a quick setup that will walk you through setup of several settings. If the setup has been completed you can skip this section. All of these settings can be reconfigured after completing the setup.
- Start by connecting the iPod Touch to a Mac with Apple Configurator and starting the Initial Setup.
- Select English and tap the arrow in the top right
- Select United States as the country and tap the next button in the top right corner of the screen.
- Enable location services and tap the next button.
- Select the GACmobile network, type in the password and tap next.
- Make sure that Set up as new iPod Touch is selected and tap next.
- Skip creating an Apple ID. The button is in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions
- Select Don't Send in the Diagnostics & Usage screen and tap next.
- Finally, tap the Start Using iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch button.
Register Device on Network
To make sure the device works on the Gustavus wireless network you will need to register it
- Make sure the device is connected to GACsecure by going to Settings / Wi-Fi
- Tap on Settings then General then About and find the Wi-Fi Address.
- Use the Wi-Fi Address to register the device in GReg for the user who is receiving the device on the wireless VLAN.
- Note the name GReg gives the device - it will be used later on. In this example GReg named this iPad hpotter-29.
Enroll and name iPad using Apple Configurator
Prior to deploying settings to iOS devices the iPad needs to be named and enrolled into Skyrim - our device management server. This can be done easily using Apple Configurator.
1. Open Apple Configurator on the Apple Configurator laptop and connect the device (the laptop is usually on Dan Z.'s desk, behind the iMac).
2. Make sure Prepare is selected (highlighted in blue in the top bar of Apple Configurator).
3. In the Name: field enter the name given to the device by GReg. In this example hpotter-29.
4. Make sure Number sequentially starting at 1 is unchecked.
5. Make sure the Supervision: slider is Off.
6. Select When update is available from the Update iOS: drop down menu.
7. Make sure Erase before installing is unchecked.
8. From the Restore: drop down menu select Don't Restore Backup.
9. Click Prepare to apply the name.
10. After you have prepared the device click the Install Profiles button.
11. Wait for Apple Configurator to recognize the device is connected and click Next
12. Select the Auto-Join Devices Enrollment profile and click Next
13. On the iPad an Install Profile popup will appear. Tap install and follow the on screen instructions to install the profile. Ignore the warnings the appear when installing this profile.
Apply Apple Configurator Settings
Gustavus uses Apple Configurator to apply settings for Gustavus Google Calendar, email,LDAP contacts, WiFi, and Passcode. Refer to the image below for a guide to settings.
- Make sure Prepare is selected.
- Change the Name: field to match the devices name in Greg.
- Make sure Number sequentially starting at 1 is unchecked.
- Make sure the Supervision: slider is Off.
- Select No Change from the iOS: drop down menu.
- Make sure Erase all contents and settings is unchecked.
- From the Restore: drop down menu select Don't Restore Backup.
- Click the Install Profiles button.
9. Wait for Apple Configurator to recognize the device is connected and click Next
10. Select the Gustavus Settings - Personal profile and click Next
11. On the iPad an Install Profile popup will appear. Tap install and follow the on screen instructions to install the profile. Ignore the warnings the appear when installing this profile.
Install and Configure Profile
After settings are applied to the device you will need to walk the user through the installation of the profile. This will tailor the settings for the users Google Calendar and Gustavus Email and let them select a passcode for their device.
Gustavus LDAP Contacts
Both the username and password fields are left blank in this part of the setup. Just tap the next button for both fields.
There are five fields that need to be filled to configure Gustavus Email. Use the photos below as a guide when filling out this information.
- Enter the users full name in the first field. This will be the name that recipients of email messages from the user will see.
- Enter the users full email address.
- Enter the users username.
- Have the user enter their password.
- Enter the users username.
Google Calendar Configuration
There are three fields that need to be configured to setup Google Calendar.
- In the first field enter the users full Gustavus email address as shown in the bottom left image.
- In the second field enter the users Gustavus email password
Important once the passcode is set if someone tries to access their iPad unsuccessfully 10 times the iPad will wipe itself.
- Have the user select a passcode. This passcode is separate from their Gustavus password and does not sync with their Gustavus password.
- Have the user confirm their passcode in the next field.
Set Calendars to Sync
By default your device will automatically synchronize your main Gustavus Google Calendar. To sync other Google calendars that are shared with you:
- Open Safari from the main menu of the iPhone, iPod or iPad
- Navigate to https://www.google.com/calendar/syncselect
- Have the user enter their full Gustavus email address and password and sign in.
- Click sign in again which will redirect to the Gustavus single sign on page. Have the user enter their Gustavus username and password.
- Select all calendar present and click save. It's easy to toggle on and off with calendars in the Calendars iPad App.
Connecting to a Computer
If you are connecting this device to a computer, it will try to synchronize the device with iTunes. You are already synchronizing your email, contacts and calendars wirelessly, so be sure to not sync them with your computer. This will alleviate any problems with duplicate content.
If you have completed this setup all your Gustavus contacts, calendars and email should be synchronized automatically.