Employee New Computer
- 1 What's New!
- 2 Frequently Used Gustavus Websites
- 3 Information for New Employees
- 4 Information for Current Employees
- 5 Additional Information
Who do I call for help?
Technology support is provided to all members of the Gustavus community through the Technology Helpline, located on the first floor of Olin Hall. The Technology Helpline is a group of student employees led by full-time User Services staff. Helpline employees are trained and dedicated to serving the hardware, software, and networking needs of the campus community. Please contact us with your technology questions or concerns.
- Phone: 507-933-6111
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wiki Help: gustavus.edu/gts
- Twitter: Follow us @gtshelpline or twitter.com/gtshelpline
- Submit a Request or Check Status: gustavus.edu/gts
- Live Support: gustavus.edu/gts click on Live Support
Frequently Used Applications
- E-mail - Thunderbird (Windows) and Mail.app (OSX)
- Web Browser - Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Firefox (Windows) and Safari and Firefox (OSX)
- Productivity Suite - Microsoft Office 2016 (Windows) and Microsoft Office 2016 and iWork (OSX)
- Adobe - Adobe CS6 Suite (Windows/OSX)
For a full list of software used, please see Software.
Gustavus uses CrashPlan for it's back up solution for all current employees. Code42 CrashPlan (formally CrashPlan PROe) is a cloud based backup software that is available to all current active Gustavus Employees. It can be used to backup up to 5 college owned devices per employee.
For more information on CrashPlan, please see:CrashPlan.
Every effort will be made to set up the initial back up on your computer, please note - it is the user's responsibility to make sure your data is being backed up. If you have any questions regarding your backup please contact the Technology Helpline at 507-933-6111.
Frequently Used Gustavus Websites
- Technology Services self help website: gustavus.edu/gts
- Gustavus People Search (Gribly): gustavus.edu/search
- WebAdvisor is the online advising system used by students, faculty and staff: gustavus.edu/go/webadvisor.
- Moodle is our Content Management System. For help with Moodle, visit: Moodle Information. To log into Moodle visit: moodle.gac.edu.
- Your Gustavus account includes access to Google Calendar and Docs, to log in visit: google.gac.edu.
- Edit your Gustavus Profile information: gustavus.edu/profile/edit
Information for New Employees
Gustavus Technology Services (GTS) would like to welcome you to Gustavus!
Generally new employees are issued a new software setup specifically for you. Occasionally a department will request files to be transferred to the computer from a previous user to help with work history.
Information for Current Employees
Your computer’s hard drive has been backed up and will be stored on our secure backup server for two months. We have also physically removed your old hard drive, and will keep it for two months. Your data has been migrated to your new machine. Please notify us within two months if you are missing data. All hard drives are securely erased after two months.
Newly delivered computers (after July 2016) will have hard drive encryption enabled on them. This means that if your laptop is stolen or lost, the only users that will have access to the data on your computer is you or GTS.
You may need to re-install specialized and unique software that is not part of our standard software set.
Windows users can check Software Center for available programs.
Macintosh users can check Managed Software Update for available programs.
Good Computing Habits
Make all accounts on your computer are password protected. Make them complicated by mixing letters, numbers, and symbols. Please see http://gustavus.edu/gts/Password
Backing Up Data
Please be aware of the backup that we have setup on your office computer, if you experience any problems or see any errors, please contact the Technology Helpline (507-933-6111 or email@example.com).
Beware of Phishing
Phishing is attempting to gain personal or financial information about a user by masquerading as a trustworthy source. Gustavus users have experienced many types of Phishing, including some sent through email. Please note that Gustavus will never ask you via email, phone or any other type of communication to verify your password.
Spam is unsolicited e-mail. It is often commercial in nature and may contain viruses or other malware. Gustavus offers server-side spam control through a program called SpamAssassin. The spam filtering settings page offers a web-based interface to configure these settings for your e-mail account.
Don’t open attachments without knowing what the file is, even from people who you know.