A Blog or Weblog is a type of website where entries are made (such as in a journal or diary), displayed in a reverse chronological order.
Blogs, among other things, can effectively serve in place of printed, e-mailed, and web-based newsletters. Additionally, due to the extensive RSS support built into most blogging platforms, content from blogs can easily be syndicated onto multiple websites.
The instructions below assume you already have a blog at Gustavus. If you would like to start a new blog, contact Web Services.
- First, you'll want to go to the webpage that your blog is on. For example, you point your web browser to the admin page for your blog (e.g. if your blog was located at http://blogname.blog.gustavus.edu/ then your admin page will be located at https://blogname.blog.gustavus.edu/wp-admin/)
- Log in using your Gustavus username and password.
- This should bring up the dashboard, which gives you information about the blog. On the left is your blog admin navigation. Move your mouse over "Posts" and click on the downward-pointing arrow that appears, to reveal the Posts options.
- Click on "Add New."
- This should bring up the post composition page. If you are familiar with Microsoft Word, it is pretty straightforward from here. The title (most important part of the post) goes in the box at the top and the body goes in the big box below that. On the right, you can add tags and put it in a category.
- When you are happy with your post, click on the button on the right labeled "Publish."
- Sit back and relax while your post is automatically sent to your blog's page, all of your subscribers, the main blog page, the oncampus page, and many other pages across the Gustavus website.
These videos can help you understand more about publishing on your blog:
- Writing and Publishing a Post
- Saving and Returning to Draft Posts Pages
- Embedding Photos, Video, and Audio Into Your Posts
- Adding Categories and Tags to Your Posts
15 hours ago by CJ Siewert from Blogs at Gustavus
18 hours ago by CJ Siewert from Blogs at Gustavus
18 hours ago by Trent Jackson from Blogs at Gustavus