- 1 Setting up Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or 10.8 Mountain Lion IMAP
- 2 Setting up Mail On iPhone
- 3 Sending attachments
- 4 Filtering
- 5 Signatures
- 6 Subscribing to folders
- 7 Configuring Directory Services (LDAP)
- 8 Known Problems
- 9 Contact us
Setting up Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or 10.8 Mountain Lion IMAP
Open up Mail by clicking on its icon in the dock. You can also open it by double-clicking its icon in the applications folder. If this is your first time opening Mail, it will ask you to set up your Mail account and in this case you can skip to step 4. Otherwise, follow steps 1-3 to add a new account.
1. Go to the upper left corner of your screen and click on Mail > Preferences.
2. In the new window click on "Accounts."
3. In the bottom left of that window click on the "+" symbol.
4. The first window to come up will ask for your Full Name, Gustavus (or other) email address, and your password. Click Continue.
5. Next window, select IMAP as the account type and complete the rest of the information as shown below, substituting your own name and Gustavus username. You can give the account any description you want, "IMAP Account" is the default. Complete your login and incoming mail server information as below, substituting your Gustavus username and password for how it is shown here. Click continue.
6. In the next window fill in your authentication and outgoing mail server information as below, once again substituting your username and password for what is shown here. Make sure you click "Use Authentication." Click continue.
7. You should now be presented with a summary of what you have done. Click continue after you have made sure all the information is correct. Your Mail should open once you have continued.
8. There are still some settings left to change. If your account preferences window is not up, please follow the first two steps to find it again. It should now look something like the image below.
9. You should now be back at the accounts screen. Here, click on the "Advanced" bar on the upper right and make sure all your settings are as shown below. Once you have completed this, you can close out of the settings screen and Mail should be completely configured for Gustavus e-mail.
If you have any further problems please call the helpline at x6111.
Editing an existing account
Open up Mail by going to the dock, and clicking on its icon. You can also open it by double-clicking its icon in the applications folder.
1. The first step is to go to the upper left corner of your screen and click on Mail > Preferences.
2. In the new window click on "Accounts" the window should now look something like the image below. If any of your settings are different, change them to match what is below, substituting your own username and password.
3. To make sure your outgoing settings are correct, in the outgoing server settings section towards the bottom, click on the drop down menu and select "Edit SMTP Server List... ."
4. On the new pop up window, navigate to the Advanced tab. Make sure the Server port setting is set to Use Default Ports and make sure Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is selected. When finished, click "Ok."
5. You should now be back at the accounts screen, within that screen click on the advanced bar on the upper right, and make sure all your settings are as shown below. Once you have completed this, you can close out of the settings screen and Mail should be completely configured for Gustavus email.
6. If you have any further problems please call the helpline at x6111.
Setting up Mail On iPhone
Read the full article.
Windows computers may not receive your attachments correctly. To ensure everybody receives your e-mail attachments, you need to follow these steps.
- Open up Apple Mail
- From your menu bar, select Edit > Attachments.
- Ensure that "Always send Windows friendly attachments" is selected.
Apple uses the term Rules for filtering your mail.
To manage your signatures, you need to bring up the signatures management dialog:
- When you are in Mac Mail, click on Mail > Preferences.
- Click on Signatures on the Preferences toolbar.
- To create a new signature, click the (+) in the signatures management dialog.
- In order to access your new signature from the drop-down menu when creating a new message, click on the new signature and drag it to any accounts you want to be able to use it. In most cases, you will click and drag it to IMAP account.
- To edit an existing signature, select the signature you want to edit and change the text in the box to the right of it.
- To edit the name of the signature, double-click Signature #1, etc, and rename it.
Subscribing to folders
All folders should be subscribed to automatically. If necessary, close Mail.app and open it up again.
Configuring Directory Services (LDAP)
OS X Yosemite
- Launch the Contacts app
- Go to the Contacts menu, and then click Add Account
- Choose Other contacts account...
- Choose LDAP in the drop down menu.
- Fill in the following settings:
Deleted messages reappear
There is a known issue with the way Mac Mail handles IMAP accounts. Whenever there is any type of mail server troubles or hiccups, messages come back to your Inbox. There is nothing we/you can do to prevent this. Your only option would be to switch e-mail clients, such as Mozilla Thunderbird.
Attachments don't show up properly
Sometimes if attachment don't show up properly in Mac Mail, but they show up fine on a different Mac Mail installed on a home computer, try rebuilding the inbox by going to the mailbox menu and then click rebuild.