Use Your Home to Make an Impact
How It WorksWith a retained life estate, you deed a personal residence or farm to Gustavus Adolphus College now. You retain the right to occupy the home for life and continue to pay real estate taxes, maintenance fees and insurance on the property. In addition, you can later decide to rent your home or make improvements to it. After your lifetime—and the lifetime of your spouse or another person you choose to retain rights to live in the home—the ownership of the property transfers to us.
Give My Home, But Live There for Life
Transfer the future interest in your property via the deed
Receive an income tax deduction and remain in your home for life
Gustavus Adolphus College
How You Benefit
- You get the satisfaction of using your home to make a significant gift to Gustavus Adolphus College while retaining the right to live there for life.
- You qualify for a sizable income tax deduction in the year the gift is made. The amount of your tax deduction is based, in part, on your age and the value of the property.
- You can immediately deduct the amount of your gift up to 30 percent of your adjusted gross income and carry over any unused deduction for up to five additional years.
- The gift isn't subject to capital gains tax.
- The property gift eliminates federal estate tax as long as the life estate was created for you and/or your spouse.
- If at any point you no longer wish to occupy the property, you can rent it to provide you with an additional source of income. Or, you can give Gustavus Adolphus College the right to use the property for the rest of your life. This will provide you with yet another tax deduction.
Please contact Jackie Peterson at 507-933-7543 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have about this way to support Gustavus Adolphus College.
|Learn more about using real estate to support Gustavus Adolphus College.|