Emergency Planning 101
Your Evacuation BoxYou can easily organize a lockable evacuation box or small waterproof suitcase—something that is easily transportable. Keep the box in one central location, preferably somewhere you can easily grab it.
Important records you will need for your evacuation box include:
- Birth certificates and passports
- A marriage license and/or divorce decree
- Social Security cards
- Powers of attorney
- Insurance policies
- Property deeds
- A list of current financial accounts and copies of credit cards
- Contact information for your attorney, insurance agent, bank, financial advisor, doctor, friends and family
- Sufficient cash to get you through a few days
|Not sure where your important documents are located to begin with? Our free guide can help.|
Keep It Current
Make sure at least one other trusted individual knows the location of your evacuation box and how to access its contents. Because it's only good if it's up-to-date, be sure to revisit your evacuation box each year, or when major changes occur.
When updating and organizing your important documents, we hope you'll consider including a gift to Gustavus Adolphus College in your estate plans. If you have questions about giving, please contact Laurie L. Dietrich '80, at no obligation, at 507-933-6043 or email@example.com.