Welcome to the Student Life Division professional development page.This page is a resource for those within the divisionand as a way to share the work we do with other colleagues at Gustavus.
If you are interested in contributing to the blog, please contact Charlie.
On this page you will find:
- The division's professional development schedule for the year.
- A section for recognition of the great work we do!
- The professional development committee roster & contact information
September 24, 2013 - Three Big Ideas (Presenter: Professional Development Committee)
- Resources: Three Big Ideas Video
October 10, 2013 - Generation Y
- Resources: Beginner's Guide to Twitter
October 24, 2013 - The International Student Experience (Presenter: Jeff Anderson)
- Resources: Barnga information
November 20, 2013 - Intuitive Eating (Presenter: Erin Gonzalez, RD LD)
- Resources: TBD
- Resources: The Step Up! Program website contains information, resources and training tools.
- Resource: Jill Fischer's presentation on re-entry from Study Abroad.
- Resource: Information about the transfer admission process at Gustavus.
February 27, 2014 - Diversity & Inclusion (Presenter: Dr. Eddie Moore, Jr)
This section is to give a shout-out to someone in our division for the work they do that earns Gustavus and/or our division some recognition. If you have suggestions, please email to email@example.com.
Congratulations to Alisa Dean for receiving a $600 research grant from the Upper Midwest Region of the Association of College & University Housing Officers! Alisa will continue work in the area of gender neutral housing.
- Congratulations to Kate Knutson (and all the Faculty/Administrators in Residence!) for receiving the Innovations in Student Development Award from the Minnesota College Personnel Association at their annual conference on November 4, 2013. Kate's work with our first-year experience program earned her the recognition.
George Elliot presented two sessions at the North Central College Health Association annual conference in Minneapolis on Nov 14-15, 2013. She presented "Nutrition Basics: What Every College Should Know" and "Supporting Eating Disorder Recovery on Campus."
Patty Dawson & Kelli Miller presented (with Jill VanOsdol, Kristen Nelson and Sara Sletten) a session called "Building a Campus Sexual Assault Response Team: What Does it Take?" at the North Central College Health Association annual conference in Minneapolis on Nov 14, 2013.
Alisa Dean & Kyle Haiman presented a session called "When It Hits Home: Helping Students Through Experiences that Echo Your Own Life Experience" on Oct 23, 2013 at the UMR-ACUHO conference in St. Louis.
Kyle Haiman presented a session called "Social Media Usage: How Does Your Institution Compare?" on Oct 24, 2013 at the UMR-ACUHO conference in St. Louis.
- Charlie Potts, Alisa Dean & Kevin Bruins presented a session called "All's FAIR in Living & Learning: Rethinking Faculty in Residence" on Oct 24, 2013 at the UMR-ACUHO conference in St. Louis.
- Heather Dale, Director of Health Service and FAIR for the Sophomore Year Experience, was quoted in the Minnesota Private College's October newsletter for her work with sophomores at Gustavus.
- Tricia Frederick, Assistant Director of Peer Education & Chemical Health, was quoted in the St. Peter Herald's story "St. Peter police and educators tackle underage drinking" on Monday, November 11, 2013.
Contact the committee by email with suggestions, ideas or questions!
Kyle Haiman, Assistant Director of Residential Life
Caitlin Herby, Area Coordinator in Residential Life
Pearl Leonard-Rock, Director of Multicultural Student Programs & the Diversity Center
Charlie Potts, Assistant Dean of Students & Director of Residential Life
Lisa Rinehart, Director of the Counseling Center
Brittany Salsman, Assistant Director of Campus Activities
Jordan Zahrte, Area Coordinator in Residential Life
Graphic courtesy of http://bvsd.org/