Statement of Student Responsibilities
Every community has certain regulations and traditions, which each member is expected to abide by and uphold. A college community, even more than others, depends upon the integrity, self-discipline, and mature judgment of each of its members. Only in such a community of responsible citizens can an atmosphere be established which will support liberal arts education. As a community of faith and learning, a college of the church strives to meet the highest claims of truth and commitment.
By accepting admission to Gustavus Adolphus College, each Student agrees to live by the standards of this community, found in the College Catalog and the Gustavus Guide. The College reserves the right to dismiss any Student whose conduct is detrimental to its welfare or whose attitude is antagonistic to the spirit of its ideals. The Student who fails to support the standards of the College loses his or her right to continue in attendance and may forfeit fees paid, according to established refund policies.
Gustavus Students, Groups, and Organizations agree:
- to be honest and truthful in their dealings with other members of the Gustavus community. Dishonesty such as intentionally providing false information to the College or alteration of College documents constitutes grounds for charges within the College student conduct system.
- to protect the rights of self and others, and to promote the well-being of all members of the community. Misconduct such as infringement on the rights of others; actions which endanger the health or safety of others; self-imperiling behavior, hazing; racial, religious, ethnic or other forms of harassment; unwanted or forced sexual intimacy; and physical assault constitutes grounds for charges within the College student conduct system. Sexual harassment complaints are addressed according to the College’s “Policy against Harassment” outlined separately in the Gustavus Guide. Sexual misconduct complaints are addressed according to the College’s “Student Sexual Misconduct Policy” outlined separately in the Gustavus Guide.
- to respect College property and the property of others. Failure to respect property, such as misuse, damage, or theft, constitutes grounds for charges within the College student conduct system.
- to abstain from the use of illegal substances and to use legal substances responsibly.
- to promote an orderly community life which supports teaching and learning in all its aspects. Disorderly conduct; interference with instruction, research, administration, or residential life; or continuing disruptive or inconsiderate behavior constitutes grounds for charges within the College student conduct system.
- to preserve the security and/or privacy of areas to which they are not permitted access. Misconduct such as unlawful entry or trespass and unauthorized use or possession of keys to College facilities constitutes grounds for charges within the College student conduct system. Refusal of a fellow Student or visitor to leave a Student’s room shall constitute trespass.
- to comply with rules, procedures, and policies established by the College or which the College is obligated to uphold.
- to comply with College officials carrying out their duties and with disciplinary measures administered by the College.
- to be responsible for their guests.