Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct Procedures
These documents shall be known collectively as Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct Procedures.
When used in Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct Procedures:
- "Institution" and "College" mean Gustavus Adolphus College and, collectively, those responsible for its control and operation.
- "Student" includes all persons taking courses at the Institution, both full-time and part-time.
- "Instructor" means any person hired by the Institution to conduct classroom activities. In certain situations a person may be both a Student in some respects and an Instructor in others. A person’s status shall be determined by reference to the surrounding facts.
- "Legal compulsion" means a conduct or legislative order that requires some action by the person to whom it is directed.
- "Organization" means a number of Students who have complied with the formal requirements of Institutional recognition as provided in Section VII, A and B.
- "Group" means a number of Students who have not complied with the formal requirements for becoming an Organization.
- "Student Media" means any Organization whose primary purpose is to publish or broadcast any publication or program on campus.
- "Shall" is used in the imperative sense.
- "May" is used in the permissive sense.
- "Appropriate Student Conduct Authority" shall be defined as any or all of the following: the Dean of Students, the Provost, the Associate Provosts, the Associate and Assistant Deans of Students, designated administrators, the College Student Conduct Board, the College Appeals Board, and the President of the College.
- "Hearing" means an opportunity, before an Appropriate Student Conduct Authority, for the presentation by both the complainant and the respondent of information relevant to the charges being adjudicated; for questions by the complainant, the respondent, or the Appropriate Student Conduct Authority; for the presentation of witnesses; and for the further presentation and review of other relevant information.
- "Appeal" means a written request made by either the complainant or the respondent for the review of a conduct decision.
- "Business Day" means a day when the administrative offices of the College are open for business.
- "Adviser" is defined as an individual who has agreed to assist the respondent or a complainant during a conduct hearing.
The adviser can be recommended and provided by the College or a student can seek out his or her own adviser from on or off campus. The role of the Adviser shall be limited to advising the respondent or complainant. The Adviser may not appear in lieu of the respondent or complainant or speak on his/her behalf, nor may the Adviser address the hearing board/officer.
- All other terms shall be interpreted by the Appropriate Student Conduct Authority.
- "Dean of Students" refers to the College's senior student affairs officer or his/her designee.