Application & Fees
Semester in Sweden
Application Deadline is March 1, 2014 for the Spring 2015 semester program. A minimum enrollment is needed in order for the program to run. After the deadline, call for space-availability information. An application fee of $65 is required. Official college transcripts and two faculty recommendations are required. Students must apply via StudioAbroad, the Gustavus application and forms management system. Applications will be reviewed as a group after the March 1 deadline and an interview will be required. Students will be notified of their acceptance by late March.
Participation is limited, so early application is recommended.
Gustavus Semester in Sweden is open to all Gustavus students with a 2.75 cumulative GPA and in good standing at the college. The program may be of particular interest to the following students:
- Interested in issues of global climate change and specific environmental issues in Sweden.
- Seeking to better understand their Swedish heritage.
- Want to experience and learn about the indigenous people of Sweden and current immigration issues.
- Interested in an affordable off-campus study experience (cost estimated to be only slightly more than being on campus.)
- Desire to complete several of the Gustavus area requirements in one semester.
- Involved in fall activities for whom studying off-campus during spring is the only option.
- Interested in learning a little Swedish.
NO PRIOR SWEDISH LANGUAGE STUDY IS REQUIRED. Freshmen who will be sophomores at the time of participating are particularly encouraged to apply.
Students will pay their regular Gustavus tuition for spring term, plus a program fee, with a total cost estimated to be about the same as it costs to be on campus. The tuition and program fee will include international airfare, in-country transportation, course instruction, housing and three meals per day (with the exception of the spring break period), excursions, entrance fees, Swedish residence permit, and orientation, among other items. Items not covered include personal spending money, passport costs, spring break expenses, non-program related travel, etc.
Deposit and Financial Aid
Upon acceptance into the program, a $350 deposit will be required to hold a participant’s slot. This deposit will be applied to the final program fee. Generally, all Gustavus financial aid (scholarships, grants, institutional aid and loans) will apply to off-campus study, with the exception of work-study. Check with the Gustavus Financial Aid Office for complete details.