The Gustavus study away applications for 2016-17 programs will be available soon in the StudioAbroad online system.
Review the following information carefully before starting your application.
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: [Updated application deadline information will be available soon.]
- APPLICATION PROCESS: - Apply on StudioAbroad. For more information about the StudioAbroad search engine and application system, read the StudioAbroad help page, or contact CICE at 507-933-7545 or via email.
- ELIGIBILITY: For eligibility requirements, please click here.
To start your application:
- Go to StudioAbroad:
- click on Programs,
- search for and find your desired program,
- click on the program title link,
- and then click on the Apply Now button on the right hand side.
- Log in with your regular Gustavus log-in credentials when prompted.
If you have problems with the Studio Abroad system contact Rachel Sherman Johnson, Enrollment and Logistics Coordinator, at ext 7510.
Two-Tiered Application Process
Your StudioAbroad application is for study away admission by Gustavus Adolphus College. With the exception of Gustavus faculty-led and departmental programs, the Gustavus application is only the first step. You will be given instructions about applying to your specific host university or program provider after you have received Gustavus admission.
You should review your specific program's application procedures, requirements and deadlines prior to applying for Gustavus approval via StudioAbroad. However, you should not begin your program provider application process until you have received Gustavus approval for study away participation.
Early Deadlines. Note that some program providers have very early deadline for fall and academic-year programs, so early application for Gustavus approval is absolutely necessary. Be prepared to turn around and submit your provider application quickly upon Gustavus approval.
Due to budgetary and other concerns, there are a limited number of study away spots open in each semester. In addition, spring semester has historically been more popular than fall semester (which means that competition for fall semester study away places may be less intense).
We are typically able to accommodate every student who wishes to study away, but it is important that you understand there is a possibility your application to study away will not be approved (or you may be waitlisted) because of these limitations. A waiting list may apply to both fall and spring semesters, depending on the total number of applications received.
Priority, Selection, and Approval Criteria:
- Fall Semester Priorities: Gustavus Semester in India: Justice, Peace and Sustainable Communities, and Gustavus Entrepreneurship in India program applications will receive priority approvals over all other applications.
- Spring Semester Priorities: Gustavus Semester in Malaysia: Living Diversity, and Gustavus Semester in Sweden will also receive priority over all other applications.
- Exchange Programs: Exchanges with Uppsala, Linnaeus, or Mora, Sweden; UIC, Zhuhai, China; USM Penang, Malaysia; Kansai Gaidai, Hirakata City, Japan or Hosei, Tokyo, Japan, will be given priority processing and approval for both fall and spring semesters. Note that there may be some limits on the number of exchange program spots available in any given exchange program, depending on the exchange balance.
- Other academic-year (AY) program applications will be given priority over semester program applications.
- For other programs, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, but program acceptances will not be possible until the application deadline (except for programs with earlier deadlines for the provider's application).
- For all applicants, the entirety of your application will be very important - essay, faculty recommendations, GPA, etc., will be considered. Please make sure to follow the application instructions carefully. In particular, please ensure that both faculty recommendations are from faculty that have taught you in a full academic course or are from your academic advisor. For students applying to a program with a language requirement, at least one of your recommendations must be from a language faculty member who has taught you. Please also take seriously the essay prompts and make sure to proofread your essay for content, grammar, and typographical errors. Given the potential for competition for slots, all elements of your application will be reviewed carefully.
- Approximately half of the total study away slots will be held for the spring semester programs and distributed after the spring semester application deadline.
- Students who are on academic or disciplinary probation or censure are eligible to apply for study away if they believe that their status will change prior to program departure, but such students may not receive priority placement.
- All other things being equal, seniority in class standing (senior, junior, etc.) will be taken into account.
- If you have already started your application for spring semester and would like to switch to fall semester, please email Rachel Sherman Johnson. She can make the switch internally and you do not need to withdraw this application and start a new one.
Rachel Sherman Johnson, Enrollment and Logistics Coordinator, x. 7510.