Semester and Year-Long Programs
The Gustavus Application for approval to study off campus during 2014-15 is now availalbe via StudioAbroad. You can SEARCH and APPLY through StudioAbroad.
Review the following information CAREFULLY before starting your StudioAbroad Application.
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 1 for Gustavus Approval to study off-campus for FALL or SPRING of 2014-15. Approval is requested through your StudioAbroad application.
- APPLICATION PROCESS: - Apply via StudioAbroad. For more information about the StudioAbroad search engine and application system, read the StudioAbroad help page, or contact CICE at 507-933-7545 or via email at StudioAbroad@gustavus.edu. See detailed instructions below.
- ELIGIBILITY: For eligibility requirements, please click here.
To start your application for Gustavus Approval for a FALL 2013, SPRING 2014 or ACADEMIC YEAR 2013-14 Gustavus Approved program:
Go to StudioAbroad:
click on Programs,
search for and find your desired program,
click on the program title link,
and then click on the Apply Now button on the right hand side.
Log in with your regular Gustavus login credentials when prompted.
If you have questions about the application or procedures for
applying, stop by the CICE or contact or meet with a CICE Peer
Advisor (advising schedules are located at the front desk of our
If you have problems with the StudioAbroad system contact the Study Abroad Advisor, Jill Fischer at ext 7546.
If you need to set up an advising appointment with Jill Fischer, Study Abroad Advisor, you must SIGN UP on her advising schedule located at the front desk of our office.
Reminder that applications for Gustavus approval for 2014-15 for all terms (fall 2014, spring 2015, academic year 2014-15) are due by March 1, 2014. Students applying for fall or academic year programs are encouraged to submit and complete their applications prior to February 15 (or earlier if your provider deadline is early.)
Students applying for fall term programs will be given priority for approval.
Two-Tiered* Application Process:
Your StudioAbroad application is for GUSTAVUS APPROVAL to study off-campus only. With the exception of Gustavus faculty-led programs in India, Malaysia, and Sweden, you are NOT applying to your specific program. You will be given instructions about applying to your program provider after you have received Gustavus approval.
You should review your specific program's application procedures, requirements and deadlines prior to applying for Gustavus approval via StudioAbroad. However, you should not begin your program provider application process until after you have received Gustavus approval to study away.
Note that some program providers' fall and academic year programs have application deadlines of March 1 or earlier, so early application for Gustavus approval is absolutely necessary. Be prepared to turn around and submit your provider application quickly upon Gustavus approval. Please try to apply for Gustavus approval by February or earlier.
*For Gustavus faculty-led programs in India, Malaysia, and Sweden, and Global Business India, your StudioAbroad application is the only application you need to submit. We encourage early application for these programs, but all applications will be held until the application deadline and will be reviewed as a group at that time; there is no early admission for these programs.
Prior to applying for Gustavus approval to study off-campus, you must know what program you plan to apply to. In addition, your program choice must be an approved Gustavus program. Only approved Gustavus programs will be available through the StudioAbroad system. All programs in StudioAbroad and on the 2014-15 Semester and Year-Long Programs Brochure are approved.
COST ESTIMATE INFORMATION:
The Approved Programs Brochure lists general cost estimates. These are estimates and costs may be higher. Read "Understanding Program Fees" for more information or speak to the Study Abroad Advisor of the CICE FInance Manager if you have questions.
- If you have application or StudioAbroad questions or are at the beginning stages of your study abroad program search and have general questions about studying abroad please set up a time to see one of our Peer Advisors. The Peer Advisors will be able to tell you about the process of off-campus study at Gustavus, review the approved list with you, and help you to narrow down your options. You can sign up for a time to meet with a peer advisor at the front desk of the Center for International and Cultural Education.
- If you would like general information about off-campus study opportunities, application procedures or StudioAbroad, you may attend one of our Study Abroad Questions sessions. These are held occasionally in the Carlson International Center Community Room or the Campus Center. Watch the calendar for location and times or contact CICE at x7545.
- If you have a couple of specific programs in mind and have more specific program questions, you may set up a time to see Jill Fischer, Study Abroad Advisor. Please sign up for a time to meet with the Study Abroad Advisor at the front desk of the Center for International and Cultural Education.
- See more information under Advising Services.
APPLICATION CHECKLIST - SEMESTER AND YEAR-LONG PROGRAMS (applies to most programs)
- APPLY for a passport as soon as possible (if needed). If you already have a passport, make
sure it will be valid for up to six months after your intended return date and that you have
available visa pages. If you do not NOT have a passport or if you passport will be expiring before, during or within six months of your expected return from abroad APPLY FOR or RENEW YOUR PASSPORT IMMEDIATELY! You will need a valid passport for a visa or residence permit (your destintation country will determine if you need a visa or residence permit for study). Passport number CHANGE upon renewal so you are not able to apply for a visa or residence permit with an expired or soon to be expired passport.
- COMPLETE your Gustavus Application on StudioAbroad. Follow all instructions on StudioAbroad
and make sure to submit ALL items per the StudioAbroad instructions, including (but not limited to):
- Gustavus Application - online via StudioAbroad
- $65 Gustavus Application Fee and Receipt of Payment Form (return to CICE or pay by credit card)
- Essay - online via StudioAbroad. (Additional essays required for Gustavus Semester in Sweden, Semester in Malaysia and Semester in India programs.)
- Two (2) recommendations from member of the FACULTY - online via StudioAbroad. (These must be from faculty who have taught you in class and are familiar with your academic background.) Recommendations are requested and submitted electronically via StudioAbroad. It is most appropriate for you to FIRST speak with your desired faculty recommenders to see if they are willing to complete a recommendation for you. After that, you can send them the recommendation request via StudioAbroad. SEE FULL INSTRUCTIONS on StudioAbroad.
- One (1) official college transcript. Have this sent to CICE.
- NOTE: Gustavus Semester in Sweden, Semester in Malaysia, and Semester in India programs may have additional requirements. Refer to the StudioAbroad application for complete details.
- DISCUSS course requirements and substitutions with your academic advisor and MAKE SURE this program is a good fit for your academic goals. Review your 4-year plan.
- CHECK your account on StudioAbroad regularly. You will be notified of your approval and all follow-up information via this system.
- MEET with the Study Abroad Advisor if you have specific questions about your program or the application process. To schedule a meeting with the Advisor, stop by the CICE and sign up on the advising schedule located at the front desk.
*NOTE: If the program provider's specific application deadline is PRIOR to MARCH 1, you must still complete the Gustavus Application first and be approved for off-campus study before you apply to the specific program. In these cases, plan to submit your Gustavus application well PRIOR to your program provider's specific deadline (by February 1 or earlier as necessary).
Gustavus Applications are accepted on a rolling basis via StudioAbroad.