Finances and Insurance

International - Read all information below.

Domestic - Read through Insurance Information below.

There are a number of ways for you to have access to funds while studying off-campus: ATM debit card, Visa or other credit card, Traveler's Checks, and exchanging U.S. currency into foreign currency prior to departure. Of these options, we recommend that you carry an ATM debit card, and a Visa or other credit card. The usefulness of Traveler's Checks is increasingly limited now that ATMs are widely available and credit cards are accepted at many destinations. Do some research on your destination before you go to find out whether debit and credit cards can be widely used (whether you are going to a domestic or an international location).

Remember these important procedures:

  • Keep your PIN number in a safe place and not in the same safe area as where you store your credit/debit card.
  • Make sure to contact your credit/debit card companies for information regarding additional charges and/or fees applied to your account for using an ATM machine and/or for converting the foreign currency into dollars for billing purposes.
  • If you are traveling outside the U.S., you must contact your credit/debit card company and inform them of the dates and the specific places you will be visiting during your absence from the U.S. If you fail to do this, an automatic safety mechanism may be activated which may prohibit you from using your card.
  • Make sure you record and keep in a safe place the telephone contact number for your credit/debit card in order to report a lost or stolen card. This step will be critical if you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of losing your card.
  • You may also need to make a number of other calls should you lose other personal information such as your social security card. In this instance, go to the Social Security Administration website for instructions on how to replace your social security card.

Most students work closely with family members back home to replenish credit lines in credit/debit cards. We strongly suggest you discuss this issue with members of your family who will provide this support for you.

One of the aspects that will contribute to your growth and self confidence while traveling internationally is to master the currency conversions. Stay away from exchange booths that offer this service of changing US currency into local currency. The rates are never as good as at a bank or by using your debit/credit card.

Insurance Information

All Gustavus students are required to have and maintain their regular U.S. based health insurance for the entire duration of their study away program. Students need to submit this insurance information on the Gustavus Release, Waiver and Medical Authorization Form. Students studying on domestic programs are covered under their own health insurance.

Students may also want to consider purchasing travel related insurance that may cover delays, cancellations, lost baggage, etc.

Insurance for International Travelers

EIIA Foreign Travel Insurance Coverage

All students on credit bearing off-campus international programs are covered under the college emergency-accident insurance plan through EIIA (Educational and Institutional Insurance and Administrators, Inc).. This coverage includes (per person) $100,000 Accident and Sickness Medical Expense (with a $250 deductible; $1500 limit for pre-existing conditions); $200,000 Accidental Death and Dismemberment Coverage; $200,000 Emergency Medical Evacuation; and $100,000 Repatriation Coverage. Be aware that the insurance provider, not Gustavus, makes all decisions regarding what would actually be covered under this policy.

In addition, EIIA's Travel Assist program will provide assistance in legal matters, emergency cash, lost baggage, lost passport and other general assistance.

Remember, this insurance only covers medical emergencies and evacuation (which is extremely rare). Your regular health insurance is what you will rely on for routine medical services (treatment of an illness such as stomach upset or a cold for example). In this instance, most medical providers abroad now insist on being paid in cash. Make sure you get a receipt as this is what you will need to submit to your personal health insurance company for reimbursement. A small number of you will also have medical insurance provided by your host institution and/or program provider. You should already be aware of this if it is included in your required fees for your program.

HTH Worldwide Primary Health Insurance

Students and accompanying faculty members on Gustavus-run semester or short-term international programs, and other semester and year-long students who choose to add this coverage, are covered under Gustavus Adolphus College insurance with HTH Worldwide, policy #HM-3103-A-09. (Students and faculty on Gustavus-run programs are automatically enrolled. Other students must contact CICE if you wish to purchase this insurance.) This insurance will serve as primary health insurance in the host country and will provide medical benefits for injury and sickness and includes coverage for pre-existing conditions and prescription drugs.

Once you are enrolled under this coverage, you are contacted by HTH and provided with a login to access your insurance card as well as the wealth of information on their website. Coverage begins the day you leave for your off-campus study program and continues until the final date of your program.

Students may also want to consider purchasing travel related insurance that may cover delays, cancellations, lost baggage, etc.

<< Previous Next >>