Advising for Study Away
The Center for International and Cultural Education has several advising services to help you understand how study away programs work and how to select a good study program for you.
Note: While in-person advising is not a required step for many of the study away programs, we encourage you to make judicious use of the staff members who are here to support you. For those programs in which advising is required, the application process will include an advising step.
Get the Info You Need.
On your own:
- Think about the kind of program you want (see Selecting a Program).
- Research programs using StudioAbroad, the online system for program brochures, applications, and paperwork.
Peer Advisors. Every year, returning study away students serve in this role, meeting with Gustavus students to review the many program options, explain the application procedures, and guide students through the resources and options available to them. The peer advisors take first-visit appointments on a drop-in basis during scheduled Drop-In Advising hours (which change each semester). They also schedule follow-up meetings as needed with students who have additional advising needs that the Peer Advisors can easily meet.
Study Away Program Coordinator. In addition to the Peer Advisors, the CICE has a full-time Study Away Program Coordinator who works with all students planning to study away on one of Gustavus' approved programs. The coordinator is available to meet with students to answer program-specific questions or to help students make a decision between two or more appealing programs. Schedule one-on-one program advising by visiting the reception area in 110 Carlson International Center or by calling 507-933-7545.
Quick questions. Email your peer advisor (if you have already had peer advising) or the Study Away program advisor assigned to the region that interests you:
- For Asia, Oceania, Sub-Saharan Africa, and U.S. programs: Rachel Sherman Johnson
- For Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, and North Africa: Bryan Messerly
- For study away nursing clinicals in all locations: Rachel Sherman Johnson
- For study away student teaching placements in all locations: Bryan Messerly
Considering a J-Term program or semester program led by a Gustavus professor? You may contact the faculty leader of your course with questions, too. They will refer any questions that they cannot answer to a CICE staff member.