Advising for Study Away
The Center for International and Cultural Education has several advising and first-step services to help you understand how study away programs work and how to select a good study away program for you.
Note: While in-person advising is not a required step for many of the study away programs, we encourage you to make judicious use of the staff members who are here to support you. For those programs in which advising is required, the application process will include an advising step.
Peer Advisors. Every year, returning study abroad students serve as in this role, meeting with Gustavus students to review the many program options, explain the application procedures, and guide students through the resources and options available to them. The peer advisors take individual appointments through a sign-up system. Schedule a meeting with a peer advisor by signing up on their clipboard located at the reception desk of the CICE, in the Carlson International Center (next to Olin Hall.)
Study Away Program Coordinator. In addition to the Peer Advisors, the CICE has a full-time Study Away Program Coordinator who works with all students planning to study away on one of Gustavus' approved programs. The coordinator is available to meet with students to answer program-specific questions or to help students make a decision between a two or more appealing programs. Schedule one-on-one program advising by visiting the reception area in 110 Carlson or by calling 507-933-7547.
Here are the steps to follow to get the information you need.
On your own:
- Think about the kind of program you want (see Selecting a Program).
- Research programs using StudioAbroad, the online system for program brochures, applications, and paperwork.
- Peer advising. If you are at the beginning of your program search, or you want to learn more about Gustavus' approved programs and to narrow your options, meet with a Study Abroad Peer Advisor. Sign-up sheets are available in the CICE (110 Carlson).
- One-on-one advising: After meeting with a peer advisor, if you still have questions, schedule one-on-one program advising by visiting the reception area in 110 Carlson, or by calling 507-933-7547.
- Quick questions: Email your peer advisor (if you have already had peer advising), or the Study Away Program Coordinator. [As of August 2015, the Study Away Program Coordinator position is vacant and a search is underway, In the mean time, contact Rachel Sherman Johnson or Roger Adkins.]
- Considering a J-Term program or semester program led by a Gustavus professor? You may contact the faculty leader of your course with questions, too. They will refer any questions that they cannot answer to a CICE staff member.