Welcome Home and Back to Gustavus!
Culture shock is the expected confrontation with the unfamiliar; re-entry shock is the unexpected confrontation with the familiar.
Dr. Michael Paige, Maximizing Study Abroad, p. 143
All of us at the Center for International and Cultural Education (CICE) extend our warmest greetings to you as you venture home from what we hope was an incredible and enriching semester or January. We look forward to seeing you on-campus and hearing your stories. Please feel free to stop by the office and share with us.
In the mean time as you re-adjust, here are some resources to help you transition smoothly back to life at home. Or to help you utilize your experience in the job world.
- Minnesota Study Abroad Returnee Conference - next conference - FALL 2014 - Details TBD
- Gustavus Study Away Returnees Facebook Group
- On-campus resources
- Online resources
- Reverse culture shock
- Resume and cover letter resources
- Going abroad again
- Engaging Study Abroad (website for processing your experience)
- Framing Your Experience for (potential) Employers presentation
- Careers In Education Abroad
- Life After Study Abroad magazine
- For more re-entry readings and resources click here.
Faculty / Administrator / Staff resource - Understanding Your Study Abroad Returnee