June 16–22, 2013
Gustavus Adolphus College and the Department of Music are proud to offer its first annual Summer Music Strings Institute (SMSI) on the campus of Gustavus June 16–22, 2013. The SMSI is intended for talented high school students (entering their freshman, sophomore, junior and senior years for the fall of 2013) who are seeking an intense musical experience focusing on orchestral and solo performances. The institute will provide instruction and performances with dedicated and gifted faculty members, practice partners with current Gustavus Adolphus College music students, solo and orchestral performance opportunities, and instruction in music theory and ear training.
- Five days of rigorous rehearsal and practice.
- Side-by-side rehearsals with faculty during orchestra.
- A solo performance of a piece from every student attending.
- The establishment of effective practice habits through individual daily instruction with top—notch faculty.
- Understanding the role of music in a liberal arts college setting.