Location & What to Bring
Summer Coaching Institute
GAC-SSI is located on the beautiful campus of Gustavus Adolphus College, located in St. Peter, Minn., 65 miles southwest of the Twin Cities on Highway 169. We offer a free shuttle to and from the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport.
The camp offers a carefully supervised introduction to college life. Students live in college residence halls, eat in the nationally ranked campus-dining center, and attend sessions in college buildings. Students will utilize the Gustavus library, an excellent and extensive resource for researching public address speeches and interpretation events. The structure, opportunities, and adult supervision available at Gustavus make it a first choice for concerned parents.
What to Bring
Thank you for enrolling in the Gustavus Adolphus College Summer Speech Institute. We are getting excited to work with you in hopes of shaping you into an elite competitor.
In order to facilitate your planning, I thought it would be good to share with you some important logistical information. First, you are free to check in anytime between 1:00 and 3:30 pm on Saturday, July 20th. Please enter campus via College Avenue where you will find signs clearly indicating the direction to the Jackson Campus Center. You will find parking lots located directly in front of the Jackson Campus Center. Please report to the lower level of the Jackson Campus Center to obtain your room key, housing assignment, and institute mementoes. Once you have checked in, a GAC-SSI faculty member will escort you to Uhler Hall. Our first official function will begin at 4 pm. Saturday’s schedule will be as follows:
- 1:00-3:30 pm: Registration and Final Payment
- 4:00-5:00 pm: GAC-SSI Orientation
- 5:00-6:15 pm: Supper (Jackson Campus Center)
- 6:30-7:30 pm: Getting to know ya activities
- 7:30-8:15 pm: Warm-ups
- 8:30-9:30 pm: Skills Workshop
- 9:30-10:00 pm: Ice Cream Treats
Second, when packing, you will want to consider bringing the following:
- If you already have an idea(s) for topics and/or literature, please bring it with you! This will enable you to get a quicker start and reduce your stress level. If this is not feasible, we will help you locate literature and topics. Starting July 1st, our web site will contain an updated list of books and selections. While this list is not an exhaustive list, it will give you an idea of what our script library has to offer. You can also search our library to see if we have a specific selection not found on the list.
- Professional tournament attire for the “GAC-SSI Tournament” and Banquet – We recommend men bring dress shoes, dress socks, suit or dress pants with sport coat, dress shirt, and tie. We recommend women bring dress shoes (no open toed shoes), nylons, and dress suit with pants or skirt.
- Casual summer attire is appropriate for Saturday-Friday. The academic buildings utilized during the day are air-conditioned and can be a bit chilly. Please plan accordingly.
- Laptop (If you own a laptop, you will have access to our wireless network, but not the printers. It is not a requirement to bring a computer, as you will have access to computer labs. Having a laptop will provide you with more flexibility.)
- Storytellers/Extemp Readers - bring your book
- Extempers - bring a tub for filing research
- USB Stick/Jump drive
- Fan (Your dorm room is not air conditioned!)
- Alarm Clock
- Blanket (Sheets will be provided.)
- Cash for snacks or a trip to the Gustavus Bookstore
- Notebook and writing utensils
- Desk lamp
Third, your parent(s), family, and friends are invited to attend Saturday’s banquet to be held at 6:00 in the Jackson Campus Center. Please be ready to provide the name(s) of the person(s) who will be attending the banquet. The cost is $12 per person attending and payment is due at the time of registration. Your parent(s), family, and friends are also invited to attend the institute tournament. During the banquet, we will award the students placing first and second in the institute tournament with an $8,000 ($2,000 each year over four years) Gustavus Forensics Scholarship.
Fourth, we have assigned a staff member to take high quality pictures for the week. We will load roughly 1,000 pictures onto a 4GB flash drive for you to take home at the conclusion of the institute. The cost is $20. You will also have the opportunity to purchase a pride (group) photo and institute photo featuring all staff and students. These photos will not be on the flash drive. The cost per photo is $5. These items need to be ordered at the time of registration We will also have an institute store featuring water bottles, bags, sweatshirts, t-shirts, flash drives, snacks, etc. that you may purchase during the week.
Fifth, the GAC-SSI schedule and faculty biographies are accessible via www.gustavus.edu/ssi. We have assembled a nationally recognized staff comprised of collegiate competitors/coaches and area high school coaches. In addition to the regular GAC-SSI faculty, several area coaches throughout the week will critique you. You should walk away from GAC-SSI with a plethora of ideas and areas for improvement.
Sixth, the medical and release forms need to be completed and presented at the time of registration. Failure to complete these forms will result in your not being able to partake in the institute and loss of down payment. You can download the forms via our website — www.gustavus.edu/ssi.
Seventh, the Champions Extension will take place, July 28-30, for an additional $300. The Champions Extension will enable you to engage in specialized, intensive coaching and additional polishing. If you wish to participate in the Champions Extension and did not note this on your registration form or via e-mail, please let me know via email by July 7th.
Eighth, your remaining tuition balance is due on Saturday, July 20th when you register on campus. We accept checks, cash, and credit card. Credit card transactions will inquire a $15 processing fee.
Ninth, your parent(s)/coach is invited to attend a free college admission process session offered by our Admission Office, Saturday, July 2y from 5-6 pm in Beck Academic Hall. This session will provide a thorough overview of the college admission process and tips for getting into the college(s) that best fit you.
Finally, while we will have fun dedicating an entire week to forensics, our goal is for you to leave GAC-SSI with one event tournament ready, giving you a leg up on the competition. Be prepared to have fun, work diligently in order to maximize the opportunities afforded to you throughout the week, and never be tired. Positive attitudes make us happy!
Needed at the time of registration:
- final payment
- medical and release forms
- order for extra banquet tickets - $12 each
- order for flash drive with camp photos - $20
- order for camp group photo and pride photo - $5 each
Should you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I look forward to seeing you on July 20th.