Summer Coaching Institute
July 21–27, 2013
Gustavus Adolphus College and its nationally recognized speech team are proud to offer the fourth annual Summer Coaching Institute for high school coaches to be held on the Gustavus campus, Saint Peter, MN, July 21-July 27, 2013. The coaching institute will run in conjunction with the Gustavus Summer Speech Institute. If you are new to the activity or have extensive coaching experience, the Gustavus Coaching Institute offers you the opportunity to hone your craft and to develop the expertise and confidence necessary to coach your students to compete at the highest level. Forty high school coaches from around the state attended the first three coaching institutes.
Coaching Institute Goals
- Expand theoretical knowledge in oral interpretation, public address, and limited preparation events
- Locate quality literature and public address topics
- Work one on one with experienced high school coaches
- Develop fundraising and recruiting strategies
- Address challenges facing new coaches and the activity
In addition to theoretical lectures, everyone will learn vocal warm-ups, tournament etiquette, competitive ethics, and the values of excellence, preparation, revision, and embracing competition.