Arrival & What to Bring
Summer Institute of Nursing
Thank you for enrolling in the Gustavus Adolphus College Summer Institute of Nursing. We are getting excited to have you come to Gustavus Adolphus College and explore the profession of nursing!
Arrival and First Day
In order to facilitate your planning, I thought it would be good to share with you some important logistical information.
First, you are free to check in anytime between 3:00-5:00 pm on Sunday, June 21, 2015. Gustavus Adolphus College is located at 800 College Avenue West, St. Peter, Minnesota 56082. Please enter campus via College Avenue and proceed to the Jackson Campus Center. You will find parking lots located directly in front of the Jackson Campus Center.
Please report to the lower level of the Jackson Campus Center to obtain your room key and housing assignment. Once you have checked in, a Summer Institute staff or faculty member will escort you to the International Center Dorm.
Our first official function will begin at 5:00 pm. Sunday’s schedule will be as follows:
- 3:00-5:00 pm:Registration and Final Payment
- 5:00-5:30 pm:Orientation
- 5:30-6:30 pm:Supper (Jackson Campus Center)
- 6:30-10:00 pm:Getting to know you (and the campus) activities
- 10:00-11:00 pm:Quiet time, lights out!
When packing, you will want to consider bringing the following:
- Professional attire for site visit - We recommend men bring dress shoes, casual dress pants, and a casual dress shirt. We recommend women bring close-toed shoes, casual dress pants and dress shirt.
- Casual summer attire is appropriate for the remainder of Sunday-Thursday. The academic buildings utilized during the day are air-conditioned and can be a bit chilly. Please plan accordingly.
- One pair of clean, close-toed pair of shoes is required for site visits.
Other suggested items to pack:
- Alarm Clock
- Pillow (sheets will be provided)
- Bath and Pool Towel
- Cash for snacks or a trip to the Gustavus Bookmark store
- Camera, if desired
- Sunscreen/Bug Spray
- Fitness Attire (gym shorts, shirt, tennis shoes- as we will be doing some fitness activities)
Departure and Closing Banquet
Your parent(s), family, and friends are invited to attend Thursday’s (6/25/15) closing banquet to be held at 4:30pm in the Jackson Campus Center. The banquet will include a welcome from college faculty and staff, as well as a slideshow and certificate presentation. Please be ready to provide the name(s) of the person(s) who will be attending the banquet when you check-in June 21. The cost is $15 per person attending (excluding student) and payment is due at the time of registration on June 21.
Schedule and Staff
The Summer Institute of Nursing schedule and faculty biographies are accessible gustavus.edu/camps/nursing.
Form to Complete Prior to Institute
The code of conduct form need to be completed and presented at the time of registration. Failure to complete these forms will result in your not being able to partake in the institute and loss of $100 down payment. You can download the form via our website gustavus.edu/camps/nursing.
The Summer Institute of Nursing nursing student counselor staff will be conducting research studies through participant surveys. With parental or guardian consent (or participant consent if over 18 years of age), you will have the opportunity to participate in these surveys and observations and further the field of nursing. Please see the attached forms detailing the research projects and consents to participate. Please bring these consent forms to check-in.
Image of Nursing
Campers will be provided an article on the first day of the Institute to read in preparation for a group activity on the image of nursing. This article will be provided when you check in!
Your remaining tuition balance is due on Sunday, June 21st when you register on campus.
Needed at the time of registration:
- Final payment (Credit Card payments will be charged and additional $10 processing fee.) We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.
- Code of conduct form
- Order for extra banquet tickets - $15 each
- Order for camp photo flashdrive which includes 600 photos taken over the course of the week. - $20 each
- Order for camp photograph - $5 each
- Consents for research surveys
Should you have questions before or during the Summer Institute, please do not hesitate to contact Kristofer Kracht, Director of Gustavus Summer Academic Programs at 507-933-7486 or email@example.com.
On behalf of the nursing faculty and nursing student counselors for the Summer Institute of Nursing, we look forward to seeing you on June 21!
Lynnea Myers, MSN, RN, PHN, CPNP
Director, Summer Institute of Nursing
Assistant Professor of Nursing
Gustavus Adolphus College