Location & What to Bring
Junior Summer Speech Institute
GAC-JRSSI is located on the beautiful campus of Gustavus Adolphus College, located in St. Peter, Minn., 65 miles southwest of the Twin Cities on Highway 169. We offer a free shuttle to and from the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport.
The camp offers a carefully supervised introduction to college life. Students live in college residence halls, eat in the nationally ranked campus-dining center, and attend sessions in college buildings. Students will utilize the Gustavus library, an excellent and extensive resource for researching public address speeches and interpretation events. The structure, opportunities, and adult supervision available at Gustavus make it a first choice for concerned parents.
What to Bring
Thank you for enrolling in the Junior Gustavus Adolphus College Summer Speech Institute. We are getting excited to work with you in hopes of helping you get excited for competitive speech.
In order to facilitate your planning, I thought it would be good to share with you some important logistical information. First, you are free to check in anytime between 12:30 and 1:30 pm on Sunday July 14th. Please eat lunch prior to your arrival. Then enter campus via College Avenue where you will find signs clearly indicating the direction to the Jackson Campus Center. You will find parking lots located directly in front of the Jackson Campus Center. Please report to the lower level of the Jackson Campus Center to obtain your room key, housing assignment, and institute mementoes. Once you have checked in, a Jr.GAC-SSI faculty member will escort you to Uhler Hall.
Our first official function will begin at 1:45pm. Sunday’s schedule will be as follows:
- 12:30-1:30: Registration
- 1:45-2:00: Orientation and Rules
- 2:00-2:30: Warm-ups
- 2:30-3:00: Introduction to Competitive Speech: What Is It?
- 3:00-3:30: Pride Time: Ice Breakers, Genre Talk, Set Goals
- 3:30-4:30: Skills Session 1
- 4:30-5:00: Pride Time: Find Topics and Literature
- 5:00-5:30: Gustie Performances
- 5:30-6:30: Dinner
- 7:00-7:30: Pride Time: Ice Breakers, Pride Chant, Goal Check
- 7:30-9:00: Pride Olympics
- 9:00: In Dorm
Second, when packing, you will want to consider bringing the following:
- Professional tournament attire for the Practice Tournament and Banquet
- Casual summer attire is appropriate for Sunday-Wednesday. The academic buildings utilized during the day are air-conditioned and can be a bit chilly. Please plan accordingly.
- Laptop (If you own a laptop, you will have access to our wireless network, but not the printers. It is not a requirement to bring a computer, as you will have access to computer labs. Having a laptop will provide you with more flexibility.)
- Storytellers/Extemp Readers –bring your book
- Extempers — bring a tub for filing research
- USB Stick/Jump drive
- Fan (Your dorm room is not air conditioned!)
- Alarm Clock
- Blanket (Sheets will be provided.)
- Cash for snacks or a trip to the Gustavus Bookstore
- Notebook and writing utensils
- Desk lamp
Third, your parent(s), family, and friends are invited to attend Saturday’s banquet to be held at 5:00 in the Jackson Campus Center. Please be ready to provide the name(s) of the person(s) who will be attending the banquet. The cost is $12 per person attending and payment is due at the time of registration. During the banquet, we will give three different awards.
- Grindstone Award: This award is given to the student(s) that fully commits to the preparation process during the week, seeks out additional coaching, and is willing to continually revise his/her performance.
- Spirit Award: This award is given to the student(s) that continually brings the energy, remains positive throughout the week, loves leading the Gustie Rouser, and cannot wait for vocal warm-ups.
- Excellence Award: This award is given to the student(s) that epitomizes competitive excellence, respects the competition, and believes in the art he/she produced.
Fourth, we have assigned a staff member to take high quality pictures for the week. We will load roughly 1,000 pictures onto a 4GB flash drive for you to take home at the conclusion of the institute. The cost is $20. You will also have the opportunity to purchase a institute photo featuring all staff and students. These photos will not be on the flash drive. The cost per photo is $5. These items need to be ordered at the time of registration We will also have an institute store featuring water bottles, bags, sweatshirts, t-shirts, flash drives, snacks, etc. that you may purchase during the week.
Fifth, the GAC-SSI schedule and faculty biographies are accessible via https://gustavus.edu/camps/jrssi/coaches.php. We have assembled a staff comprised of Gustie competitors and local coaches that are excited to share their love of speech. You should walk away from Jr. GAC-SSI with a plethora of ideas and areas for improvement and an excitement to continue learning.
Sixth, the medical and release forms need to be completed and presented at the time of registration. Failure to complete these forms will result in your not being able to partake in the institute and loss of $100 down payment.
Seventh, your remaining tuition balance is due on Sunday, July 14th when you register on campus. Checks and cash are the only accepted methods of payment.
Be prepared to have fun, work diligently in order to maximize the opportunities afforded to you throughout the four days, and never be tired. Positive attitudes make us happy!
Needed at the time of registration:
- final payment (no credit cards)
- medical and release forms
- order for extra banquet tickets - $12 each
- order for flash drive with camp photos - $20
- order for camp group photo and pride photo - $5 each
Should you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I look forward to seeing you on July 14th.
Director of the Junior Summer Speech Institute