Majesties King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden Royal Visit
Their Majesties King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden will visit Gustavus Adolphus College in celebration of the 150th anniversary of the founding of the College by Swedish immigrants in 1862.
Royal Visit Schedule
The following public events will be held in conjunction with the visit of Their Majesties.
Friday, October 5, 2012
10:20 a.m. - Processional to Christ Chapel
- All are invited to line Eckman Mall to welcome Their Majesties to campus.
- No ticket required.
10:30 a.m. - Festival Worship Service in Christ Chapel
- A Festival Worship will include greetings from His Majesty King Carl XVI Gustaf, music by Gustavus ensembles, and the blessing of an altar cloth entrusted to Gustavus and needlepointed by His Majesty the King's great grandfather King Gustaf V.
- Doors open at 9 a.m. No admittance after 10 a.m. Tickets are required and can be obtained through the Royal Visit ticket lottery.
2:00 p.m. - Dedication of the Sesquicentennial Plaza
- The Sesquicentennial Plaza is designed to commemorate the College's 150th Anniversary of its founding and is a feature of the new west mall. The Plaza serves as a gathering place on campus and features a 16-foot tall Sesquicentennial Sculpture. A historical timeline of the College engraved in the walkway leading from the Sculpture to the west door of Christ Chapel.
- No ticket required.
2:30 p.m. - A seminar honoring His Majesty the King Carl XVI Gustaf in Björling Recital Hall
From Global to Local: Teaching and Living Environmental Sustainability
- A moderated discussion featuring remarks from the Swedish Ambassador to the United States Jonas Hafström and a panel of Gustavus faculty, alumni, and students. The discussion will focus on the environmental sustainability efforts at Gustavus and environmental sustainability in the United States and Sweden.
- Jussi Björling Recital Hall. Doors open at 1 p.m. No admittance after 2 p.m. Tickets are required and can be obtained through the Royal Visit ticket lottery.
2:30 p.m. - A seminar honoring Her Majesty the Queen Silvia in Christ Chapel
Protecting and Supporting the World's Women and Children
- A moderated discussion featuring remarks from Her Majesty the Queen and a panel of Gustavus faculty, alumni, and students. The discussion will focus on the challenges and successes in protecting and supporting women and children.
- Christ Chapel. Doors open at 1 p.m. No admittance after 2 p.m. Tickets are required and can be obtained through the Royal Visit ticket lottery.
A Special Exhibition Featuring Swedish Art
Campus visitors are encouraged to visit the exhibition, 150 Years of Swedish Art: Highlights from Stockholm: Moderna Museet and Nationalmuseum, on display at the Hillstrom Museum of Art from September 10 to December 2, 2012. There is no cost to visit the Museum. For more information on the exhibit including hours, visit the Hillstrom Museum.
During Their Majesties visit, they will have a viewing of the 150 Years of Swedish Art exhibit and will also attend a lunch in Alumni Hall and a dinner in the Twin Cities. These events are closed to the public.
|Contact||Barb Larson Taylor — 507-933-7515|
|Tags||royal visit, king, queen, GAC150, christ chapel, bjorling recital hall, sesquicentennial plaza, and sweden|
|October 5, 2012 All day|