Athletic Hall of Fame

The Gustavus Adolphus College Hall of Fame was established in 1978 at which time 19 "Charter Members" were inducted either as coaches or as athletes. As of the fall of 2017, 313 individuals (289 athletes, 15 coaches and 9 benefactors) have been elected to the Hall of Fame.

The beautiful Hall of Fame room on the second floor of the Lund Center was originally partially endowed by the families of both Dwight Holcombe's (the only father/son combination holding membership in the Hall). The hardwood plaque upon which the individual plates are permanently displayed was donated by the family of former football coach and Hall of Fame member Jocko Nelson, who passed away in 1978.

William Young

Baseball and Hockey

Inducted: 1992

Bill Young was a three-time all-conference baseball player in the glory years of Gustavus baseball under the direction of George Myrum. With Young leading the way, "The Shrouds," as they were called due to their all-black uniforms, won three consecutive MIAC titles from 1937-39 and compiled a conference record of 25-3. Young was also a member of the first recognized hockey team in 1937 and played for three years. In his senior season, the team played indoors in Myrum Fieldhouse on natural ice, and it was the first Gustavus squad to produce a winning record with 6 wins and 5 losses.
Upon graduation, Young taught and coached in Centerville, Huntley, and Fairmont. His teaching was interrupted by military service in the Naval Reserve in 1944-45. Following his tour of duty, Young was a wholesale plumbing salesman for 12 years. He finished his sales career in securities, first with Investors Diversified Services and then with Merrill Lynch. He retired in 1981; he and his wife Dorothy had three children Ross, Richard, and Laurel.