Athletic Hall of Fame

The Gustavus Adolphus College Hall of Fame was established in 1978 at which time 19 "Charter Members" were inducted either as coaches or as athletes. As of the fall of 2017, 313 individuals (289 athletes, 15 coaches and 9 benefactors) have been elected to the Hall of Fame.

The beautiful Hall of Fame room on the second floor of the Lund Center was originally partially endowed by the families of both Dwight Holcombe's (the only father/son combination holding membership in the Hall). The hardwood plaque upon which the individual plates are permanently displayed was donated by the family of former football coach and Hall of Fame member Jocko Nelson, who passed away in 1978.

Earl Witte

Basketball and Football

Inducted: 1978

Earl Witte, lettered four years in football and two years in basketball at Gustavus. He was selected to the All-State team as fullback for three years and halfback for one year during his football career in 1927, 1928, 1929 and 1933. He was All-State guard in basketball in 1928 and 1929. He was drafted by Green Bay and was a starting running back in 1934 and 1935. He spent three years in the U.S. Navy during World War II and worked in the public welfare department for the State of Minnesota for 30 years until his retirement in 1971.