Athletic Hall of Fame

The Gustavus Adolphus College Hall of Fame was established in 1978 at which time 19 "Charter Members" were inducted either as coaches or as athletes. As of the fall of 2017, 313 individuals (289 athletes, 15 coaches and 9 benefactors) have been elected to the Hall of Fame.

The beautiful Hall of Fame room on the second floor of the Lund Center was originally partially endowed by the families of both Dwight Holcombe's (the only father/son combination holding membership in the Hall). The hardwood plaque upon which the individual plates are permanently displayed was donated by the family of former football coach and Hall of Fame member Jocko Nelson, who passed away in 1978.

Chester Tomich

Basketball, Football, and Tennis

Inducted: 1990

Coming to Gustavus from Hibbing Junior College in 1938, Tomich quickly established himself as a versatile competitor, lettering in football, basketball, and tennis. He starred in the 1941-42 season, earning first team all-MIAC first team honors as an end for the undefeated conference champion football team and as a guard and captain of the Gustie basketball squad.
After graduation, Tomich turned his eyes to the skies, entering the U.S. Naval Flight Training Program in 1943. Entering World War II as a second lieutenant in the Marine Corps, Tomich was posted in the South Pacific, where he trained as a carrier-based fighter pilot. Recalled by the Marine Corps in 1952, he took on additional flight training as a helicopter transport pilot. After a stint as a sales representative with Texaco Oil Co., Tomich went to work for the U.S. Department of Labor from 1965 until his retirement in 1980.