Athletic Hall of Fame

The Gustavus Adolphus College Hall of Fame was established in 1978 at which time 19 "Charter Members" were inducted either as coaches or as athletes. As of the fall of 2017, 313 individuals (289 athletes, 15 coaches and 9 benefactors) have been elected to the Hall of Fame.

The beautiful Hall of Fame room on the second floor of the Lund Center was originally partially endowed by the families of both Dwight Holcombe's (the only father/son combination holding membership in the Hall). The hardwood plaque upon which the individual plates are permanently displayed was donated by the family of former football coach and Hall of Fame member Jocko Nelson, who passed away in 1978.

Harold Swanson

Football

Inducted: 1980

Harold "Swen" Swanson '49 lettered in football in 1942, 1946, 1947 and 1940. He was named All-State three years in a row (1946-48) and was co-captain of the '47 team. He was selected as a member of a college All-Star team in 1948 and played in the Little Olympic Bowl in Gilmore Stadium, Los Angeles, Calif. The U.S. team played against teams from Hawaii, Canada, and in that game he had the distinction of playing with Hugh McElhenny an All-Pro athlete who played for San Francisco and the Minnesota Vikings before being inducted into Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1970.
Swen served in World War II from 1943-46. Following graduation he started work with Percy Vittum Livestock Commission Co. in South St. Paul. He became president of the company in 1979.
He is a member of Ozman Shrine and Jesters in St. Paul, is past president of Southview Country Club, and was Winter Carnival Southwind in 1973.
He and his wife Carol (Somermeyer) '49 have three sons and a daughter Two of their sons (Mark `73 and Brad '80) are Gustie grads who both live in South St. Paul.