Athletic Hall of Fame

The Gustavus Adolphus College Hall of Fame was established in 1978 at which time 19 "Charter Members" were inducted either as coaches or as athletes. As of the fall of 2017, 313 individuals (289 athletes, 15 coaches and 9 benefactors) have been elected to the Hall of Fame.

The beautiful Hall of Fame room on the second floor of the Lund Center was originally partially endowed by the families of both Dwight Holcombe's (the only father/son combination holding membership in the Hall). The hardwood plaque upon which the individual plates are permanently displayed was donated by the family of former football coach and Hall of Fame member Jocko Nelson, who passed away in 1978.

Raymond Stockton

Basketball and Football

Inducted: 1983

Raymond H. Stockton '27 lettered in football and basketball at Gustavus. He played end and quarterback on the 1925 team which had the first successful season- a second place conference finish with a 4-1 record and 5-1 overall. He was second team choice as All MIAC end on the first championship team in 1926. He played guard on the first basketball championship teams of 1925 and 1926, and on the third place team of '27.
Following graduation he was principal/teacher and coached both football and basketball at Adams for five years. He then taught and coached football and basketball at Waterville for eleven years, and one year each at Olivia and Blooming Prairie. He retired in 1968 after 23 years at Owatonna where he taught and also coached both football and basketball . Ray did graduate work at the Univ. of Minn., was an active member of the Lutheran church, and is a Mason. He and his wife Lydia had a daughter and two sons: Bette, Ronald and Harlan. His wife died in 1968, Following his retirement from the Owatonna School System, he remained in Owatonna until 1980 when he moved to Mesa, Arizona, where he now enjoys his golf game year-around.