Athletic Hall of Fame

The Gustavus Adolphus College Hall of Fame was established in 1978 at which time 19 "Charter Members" were inducted either as coaches or as athletes. As of the fall of 2017, 313 individuals (289 athletes, 15 coaches and 9 benefactors) have been elected to the Hall of Fame.

The beautiful Hall of Fame room on the second floor of the Lund Center was originally partially endowed by the families of both Dwight Holcombe's (the only father/son combination holding membership in the Hall). The hardwood plaque upon which the individual plates are permanently displayed was donated by the family of former football coach and Hall of Fame member Jocko Nelson, who passed away in 1978.

Harry Oestreich

Baseball, Football, and Track & Field

Inducted: 1978

Harry G. Oestreich '28 lettered 3 years in football, 2 years in basketball, and 4 years in track at Gustavus. He was an All- State halfback in 1926 and 1927 but was known as "The Track Star" at Gustavus because he won conference championships in six events -the 100, 220, 440, 880, long jump, and anchored the winning relay team. He ran for Illinois Athletic Club summers and winters in the 220, 300, 440 and anchored the mile relay team in six national meets. He placed in the 440 in all except one of the meets and beat the world record holder in the 300.
He was director of phy. ed. and coach in Alexandria for five years. He received his master's from Boston University where he was an assistant track coach. After that, he was director of phy. ed., and coach at Norwich Univ., Newark Academy and Hackley School for a total of 13 years, director of body mechanics at Hasting-on-Hudson for 5 years, and Director of Health Services and Supervisor of Health, Physical Education and Safety for Montclair Public Schools for 19 years. He received his Ed.D. from New York University in 1956. His publications and honors are numerous.