Athletic Hall of Fame

The Gustavus Adolphus College Hall of Fame was established in 1978 at which time 19 "Charter Members" were inducted either as coaches or as athletes. As of the fall of 2017, 313 individuals (289 athletes, 15 coaches and 9 benefactors) have been elected to the Hall of Fame.

The beautiful Hall of Fame room on the second floor of the Lund Center was originally partially endowed by the families of both Dwight Holcombe's (the only father/son combination holding membership in the Hall). The hardwood plaque upon which the individual plates are permanently displayed was donated by the family of former football coach and Hall of Fame member Jocko Nelson, who passed away in 1978.

Tuddie Lindenberg

(coach)

Inducted: 1978

Roy "Tuddie" Lindenberg coached at Gustavus from 1926-33 and 1944-47. He was a coach at St. Peter High School for one year following his graduation from Gustavus and then returned to his alma mater as head basketball and assistant football coach. During these seven years he chalked up two state basketball championships and assisted with three championship football teams. He owned and operated his own filling station in St. Peter after leaving the Gustavus staff in 1933 but returned in 1944 as head coach in football and basketball. His 1945 football team went undefeated and were the Minnesota College conference champs, as did the 1946 team which he served on as an assistant coach for Lloyd Hollingsworth. His 1945 basketball team also won the conference championship.
Tuddie was an 11-letter winner and all-state basketball star while a student at Gustavus and Gusties from the '20s will never forget that game when the Gusties defeated St. John's 28 to 24 with Tuddie scoring all the points for G.A. Following his retirement from coaching in 1948 he planned to devote lots of time to his oil business, but he was a teacher at heart and returned to St. Peter High School to devote most of the last decade of his life to the teaching of history.
Tuddie died July 31, 1960.