Athletic Hall of Fame

The Gustavus Adolphus College Hall of Fame was established in 1978 at which time 19 "Charter Members" were inducted either as coaches or as athletes. As of the fall of 2017, 313 individuals (289 athletes, 15 coaches and 9 benefactors) have been elected to the Hall of Fame.

The beautiful Hall of Fame room on the second floor of the Lund Center was originally partially endowed by the families of both Dwight Holcombe's (the only father/son combination holding membership in the Hall). The hardwood plaque upon which the individual plates are permanently displayed was donated by the family of former football coach and Hall of Fame member Jocko Nelson, who passed away in 1978.

Dwight Holcombe

Baseball, Basketball, and Football

Inducted: 1978

Dwight M. Holcombe '21 lettered in football, basketball and baseball at Gustavus. He was an All-State guard in basketball and was considered the outstanding star of the 1920 and 1921 teams. He played catcher on the baseball team, and his skillful and consistent games contributed greatly to the success of the team. His position in football was left halfback and he was the first All-State football player in the college's history.
During his senior year he coached basketball in Kasota and his team made it to the state tournament. He coached and taught in St. Peter for two years following graduation and then taught and coached for one year in Virginia before completing graduate work in business at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois.
He was then employed by First National Bank of Minneapolis until his retirement in 1963. He married a Gustavus classmate, Hattie Nelson, and they recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. Both of their sons attended Gustavus - Dwight Jr. '51 and Douglas '57.