Athletic Hall of Fame

The Gustavus Adolphus College Hall of Fame was established in 1978 at which time 19 "Charter Members" were inducted either as coaches or as athletes. As of the fall of 2017, 313 individuals (289 athletes, 15 coaches and 9 benefactors) have been elected to the Hall of Fame.

The beautiful Hall of Fame room on the second floor of the Lund Center was originally partially endowed by the families of both Dwight Holcombe's (the only father/son combination holding membership in the Hall). The hardwood plaque upon which the individual plates are permanently displayed was donated by the family of former football coach and Hall of Fame member Jocko Nelson, who passed away in 1978.

Francis Bradley

Baseball, Basketball, and Football

Inducted: 1995

A three-sport letterwinner in football, basketball and baseball, Fran Bradley made his mark on the football field where he was a part of one of the most prolific offensive units in Gustavus history. Bradley, a halfback, teamed with Roger Carlson (fullback), Tom Zweiner (quarterback), and Haldo Norman (end) to lead a Gustie offense that outscored its opponents 430-114 in 1951 and 1952. Bradley earned all-conference honors in each of his freshman and sophomore campaigns. On the basketball court, Bradley played regularly at guard as a defensive specialist and in baseball he was a starting outfielder. Military service interrupted Fran's athletic career in 1953 as he was drafted into the Army. After serving 18 months with the Ilth Airborne Division, Bradley returned to Gustavus; however, an injury suffered during his military service ended his playing career.

Earning a degree in business administration in 1957, Bradley was self-employed for 23 years as owner of three Midas Muffler franchises in the Twin Cities area. Fran and his wife, Marge, who reside in St. Louis Park, have three children, Adam, Gil, and Stephen.