Athletic Hall of Fame

The Gustavus Adolphus College Hall of Fame was established in 1978 at which time 19 "Charter Members" were inducted either as coaches or as athletes. As of the fall of 2017, 313 individuals (289 athletes, 15 coaches and 9 benefactors) have been elected to the Hall of Fame.

The beautiful Hall of Fame room on the second floor of the Lund Center was originally partially endowed by the families of both Dwight Holcombe's (the only father/son combination holding membership in the Hall). The hardwood plaque upon which the individual plates are permanently displayed was donated by the family of former football coach and Hall of Fame member Jocko Nelson, who passed away in 1978.

Reynold Anderson

Football

Inducted: 1978

Reynold E. Anderson '34 was named All-State center in football in 1933-- Halsey Hall called him a "fighting piece of dynamite" and "best center ever in the Minnesota college conference." His football prowess started in Cambridge High School where he has been named to the All-Time Football Squad.

He received the 1934 Schleuder Medal which was awarded to the outstanding senior in athletics, scholarship and qualities of character. He served as assistant football coach under George Myrum 1934-36, was physical education director at Mankato YMCA 1936-37, director of phy. ed., tennis coach and asst. football coach at Augustana College, Sioux Falls 1937-45. Both the football team and the tennis team won North Central Conference titles in 1942.

Ren served on the staff of Gustavus Adolphus College from 1945-78 and retired this past spring as Vice President for Public Relations and Development Emeritus. He was recipient of the Greater Gustavus Award for outstanding contributions to Gustavus in 1964.