Athletic Hall of Fame

The Gustavus Adolphus College Hall of Fame was established in 1978 at which time 19 "Charter Members" were inducted either as coaches or as athletes. As of the fall of 2017, 313 individuals (289 athletes, 15 coaches and 9 benefactors) have been elected to the Hall of Fame.

The beautiful Hall of Fame room on the second floor of the Lund Center was originally partially endowed by the families of both Dwight Holcombe's (the only father/son combination holding membership in the Hall). The hardwood plaque upon which the individual plates are permanently displayed was donated by the family of former football coach and Hall of Fame member Jocko Nelson, who passed away in 1978.

James Anderson

Track & Field

Inducted: 1995

Jim Anderson's track and field career at Gustavus began in his freshman year when Coach Lee Krough timed him running the 100 yard dash in ten seconds flat in a physical education class. Krough convinced Anderson to come out for the track team where he became one of the premier sprinters in school history.
Anderson excelled in the 440 yard dash where he was undefeated and conference champion in both 1953 and 1954. His time of 48.5 seconds at the MIAC Championships in 1954 stood as the school record until 1969 and it is still the second fastest effort in school history. Anderson was also the anchor of the mile relay team that claimed MIAC titles in 1953 and 1954.
After graduating with a degree in English, Anderson taught and coached in Minnetonka, followed by a two-year stint in the Anny. He then worked with Coronet Educational Films for 12 years where he became vice president for sales. Anderson then started his own company in Dallas, Texas, focusing on education, training, and agricultural markets in the Southwest, Central America and the Caribbean. Anderson's wife,
Dr. Betty Anderson, worked with him in his company until last year when she died of cancer. Jim has five chiidren.