Southern Minnesota Throwers Camp
Southern Minnesota Throwers Camp for Boys and Girls (Grade 8–12)
|Session II||6/9||Shot Put|
|Session IV||6/16||Shot Put|
|Session VI||6/23||Shot Put|
The camp will be held at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, Minnesota at our throwing venue next to the track.
We will keep the number of campers each day to 18 or less. Put your 2nd and 3rd choice on the application in case your first choice is full. Dates are filled in the order they are received. We fill up every year.
The cost is $110 per day.
What is included:
- Camp T-shirt
- All you can eat noon buffet.
- A DVD of everything covered at the camp.
- A 3 ring binder illustrating all drills and subjects covered at the camp.
- We film and analyze each camper and will also e-mail it to you.
- This is a "Drills Camp" - we will cover lots of drills to correct faults in every phase of the throw.
- Proper warm-up.
- Ideas on strength and conditioning.
- Mental aspects of the throw.
- Fruit, fruit juice, donuts, fruit snacks, powerade, and water throughout the day.
- You will have fun and you will learn a lot - no matter what level you are at!
The cost to stay overnight in the Gustavus dorms is $23 for a single room and $19 for a shared room. Options include air conditioning (add $20 for single/$15 each for shared room), buffet breakfast ($8), and buffet dinner ($11). You can also choose to eat dinner at an area restaurant and for breakfast I will have donuts, bananas, juice, and granola bars in our room during the camp.
Should be sent in with the application. Checks made payable to Tom Thorkelson or Southern Minnesota Throwers Camp.
We meet at 8:30 am each day at the throwing area and are done each day around 4:00.
Coaches are welcome to attend the camp. The price is $25 and includes handouts, buffet lunch, DVD, and a t-shirt.
What to bring:
Campers should bring a shot put/discus, workout clothes, and throwing shoes or smooth bottom shoes.
Tom Thorkelson, Gustavus Adolphus Throws Coach, will conduct the camp with the help of Aaron Banks and Kristin Smith. Thorkelson has worked with many All Conference and All State throwers over the years as well as 50 All-Americans and 6 National Champions at Mankato State and Gustavus Adolphus College.
Aaron Banks was an 11 time All-American thrower in college and placed 12th at the 2000 Olympic trials in the shot put with a throw of 62’ 5 ½”.
Kristin Smith's specialty was in the discus where she was All Conference 4 times, Conference Champion 3 times, All American 2 times and NCAA National Champion her senior year. She was also All Conference several times in the shot put and still holds the Gustavus school record in the discus.