Mission & Objectives
"The mission of the Gustavus Adolphus College Linnaeus Arboretum is to facilitate environmental education and enhance the application of environmental ethics for all areas of study. The Arboretum provides the College and community a living sanctuary of plants for education, environmental stewardship, reflection and recreation."
- Education is the most important objective of the Linnaeus Arboretum, serving the needs of the Gustavus Community. The Arboretum serves as a living museum of the Campus and Community and as such provides educational opportunities including:
- Formal Education (college classes)
- Research (student, faculty research)
- Informal Education (campus education, community outreach, k-12)
- Environmental Stewardship
- The Linnaeus Arboretum promotes environmental stewardship and wise use of resources as an example of progressive environmental practices. This includes the cultivation of native plant communities (e.g. tall grass prairie) and harvesting of renewable resources (e.g. wind energy).
- The Linnaeus Arboretum provides a natural environment of beauty for retreat into the natural world that encourages contemplation, meditation and spiritual renewal.
- The Linnaeus Arboretum provides a natural environment to encourage personal wellness in an outdoor setting.