Host a Student Intern
Hosting a Gustavus student as an intern is a wonderful way for you to engage with Gustavus and to be of tremendous help to a current Gustavus student. Internship opportunities exist for fall semester, spring semester, summer for 10-12 weeks, and January career exploration. Hours may range from 10 hours to 40 hours per week.
Hosting a Student Intern
Do you need more information about what is expected of you and what you can expect from your student intern? Have questions about how your internship host site is chosen or how you can choose an intern? Questions about the length of time and time of year an internship is possible? A complete guide to answer these questions for site supervisors is available at Internship Site Supervisor Guide.
Internship Supervisor TipsThe Gustavus Career Center looks to the site supervisor to create an environment where students are challenged and supported throughout their experience. As site supervisor you serve as a mentor, and your openness and accessibility are extremely important to the success of the internship program. The following suggestions may be helpful as you work with student interns:
- Offer students orientation and training opportunities to explain your organization's expectations regarding work hours, dress, confidentiality, etc.
- Be prepared to invest time in interns, particularly in the first few days. Ideally, set a daily or weekly meeting time to "check in" and answer questions.
- Engage students in pre-professional activities; limit clerical or menial tasks such as filing, copying, and answering phones as much as possible.
- Assist students with learning about the larger issues of your work, including how their work fits in with the mission statement of your organization.
- Provide students the opportunity to network with people within your organization to learn more about related career options.
- Ask students to offer a final presentation or summary report of their experience.
If you have questions, please contact Interim Internship Coordinator Corrie Odland at 507-933-7532 or e-mail the Career Center.