Class of 2006
It is simply astonishing how quickly two years can go by! We’re also having a hard time reckoning with the fact that this may be the first year in recent memory when snow flurries have occurred in May!
We write (as it has become accustom) to reflect broadly on our four short years that we spent on that windy hill in St. Peter. In some ways it seems like yesterday, and in others it seems like a distant past. As we prepare to wrap up our “sophomore” year of life, it’s funny to compare the petty concerns that were part of our lives during our sophomore year of college. For example, I should really declare my major. Who am I going to live with next year? Should we live on-campus or off? If we don’t make the cut to live off-campus, how the heck are we going to survive the winter living in Prairie View?
Now we have new challenges facing us―should I rent or buy (or move out of my parents’ basement)? Am I changing the world? Will my job amount to anything? Most importantly, WHEN is my economic stimulus payment coming?
One thing that has and will stay constant is that the livelihood of Gustavus depends on our support. As you contemplate all of your important life decisions, please consider donating a portion of your economic stimulus check or any donation to Gustavus. Not only will it help stimulate the U.S. economy, it will help stimulate the Gustavus community to become bigger and better. What is even greater is that if you make your donation between May 1 and May 25 your donation will be matched in full by the Board of Trustees!! Please consider a gift of $25. It will become $50 for Gustavus and you will still have $575 dollars to spend towards that new flat screen you’ve been eyeing.
Thank you in advance for keeping Gustavus in mind! Please enjoy the attached class updates. Finally, watch your email closely as we’d like to organize a 2006 Gustie get-together this summer!
Your 2006 Class Agents
Anders Eckman, Matt Forbes, Jessica Olson, Katie Parks, Mollie Peterson, Matt Swenson
PS – Remember to email us your news at email@example.com.
- Brandon DeWolf lives in North Liberty, IA and works for Yellowbook USA.
- Katie Fisher loves her new job at MarketTools.
- Jay Frederickson is teaching 8th grade geography at Lincoln High School in Ivanhoe, MN.
- Erin Green is attending Augsbug College for her master’s in physician assistant studies.
- Tim Gruenisen is attending Marquette University Law School.
- Kristin Welsh Kirk is getting her master’s in science education, school psychology and educational specialist degree at the University of Wisconsin, River Falls.
- Andrea Busch Lieser is at William Mitchell for her J.D.
- Casey Lyells a second lieutenant in the Minnesota National Guard, currently deployed to Kosovo.
- Logan Martin is in grad school at Hamline, getting his master’s in public administration.
- Zach Mitchell is getting his chiropractic degree at Northwestern Health Sciences University.
- Katie Parks works for Johnson & Johnson as a sales representative.
- Julie Redebaugh works at ShopNBC as a merchandise coordinator.
- Brianna Sander is running the San Diego Rock ’n Roll Marathon on June 1.
- Sarah Schueffner is a recruiting assistant at Dorsey and Whitney LLP.
- Emily Sunwall is a marketing assistant at Target Corporation.
- Todd Swingle is attending University of Denver, Lamont School of Music for music composition.
- Daniel Westlund is enrolled in his second year as an AmeriCorps member at Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity.
- Wade Wietgrefe is an intern for a private consulting firm while being a graduate assistant and finishing his master’s degree in planning at the University of Arizona.
- Marie Williams is a full-time substitute teacher in select Hennepin County High Schools and pursuing theater full-time in the metro area. She lives with her brother, Josh Williams ’04, in St. Louis Park.
- Danielle Abel to Travis Olson, August 25, 2007.
- Brandon DeWolf to Tara Stadheim, August 11, 2007.
- Sean Evenson to Greta Loen, December 22, 2007.
- Matt Lindner and Elizabeth Jaede ’07, July 7, 2007.
- Sally Johnson to Andy VanHal, December 15, 2007.
- Mollie Lager to Caleb Bousu.
Finally, we were sent a picture from Samantha Engh and Matthew Chadwick’s wedding last summer. The names of those pictured appear below:
Gustavus has a new College President!
Jack Ohle, currently the president of Wartburg College since 2003 has been named Gustavus’ 15th College President. He will take office on July 1, 2008. As you have previously heard, President Peterson ’64 is resigning this summer and the process to find someone to replace him has been underway since last fall. On April 25 the Board of Trustees met and announced our new College President. I’m sure we’ll be hearing more about this exciting development.
Join other Minneapolis/St. Paul area Gusties for a once-a-month morning cup of coffee and breakfast while getting an update on Gustavus. The group meets the third Wednesday of each month 8-9:30 a.m. at the Doubletree Hotel, Minneapolis-Park Place, 1500 Park Place Boulevard (Hwy. 394 & Hwy. 100) $10 per person. Reserve a spot by calling Don Swanson ’55 at 763-533-9083. Next date: May 21 - featuring Sports Information Director, Tim Kennedy ’82
Upcoming Alumni Events
- Author Day with Arvonne Fraser - May 14
- Gustie Breakfast - May 21, featuring Sports Information Director, Tim Kennedy
- Class Reunions - for 50-Year Club, 1958, and 1963 - May 30 and 31