Class of 2006
Dear Gustavus Class of ’06,
As we sit here in Caribou sipping our drinks, catching up on each other’s lives, we’re thinking of one year ago when we were counting down the days to graduation, preparing for senior week and stressing about our last semester of finals in our undergraduate career! We know what you’re thinking…where did the time go!?
So what have we done with this year’s time? New jobs, promotions, marriages, completion of the first year of graduate school, packing and unpacking, and repacking again, let’s face it, we’re growing up! Despite the hectic changes in each of our lives, we seem to stay in contact with each other, especially with the help of Facebook. Here is a quick “poke” to each of you from your class agents!
I think we can all agree that the learning and growing we did at Gustavus has played a significant role in all of our accomplishments over the last year. As you reflect we hope you consider the importance of giving back to a school that has given you so much. We encourage each of you to donate what you can to the Gustavus Fund. Also, if you made a pledge for our senior class gift please make sure to get that in before May 31 so it is counted in our class total. Gustavus would not be the place that we all have come to love if it were not for the gifts from alumni. Let’s continue to keep the tradition alive.
Now for the part you all have been waiting for. Here are the updates from our fellow ’06 Gusties!
- Karen Grimm and David Dressler ’05.
- Meagan Gore and Nick Weber were married on 10/21/06.
- Alyssa Cox and Derrick Girard tied the knot on 7/7/06.
- Katie Johnson and Andrew Rudeen said nuptials on 8/12/06.
- Laura Carr and Matthew Whittaker were wed on 10/14/06.
- Emily Beatty married Jason Hoefs on 11/25/06.
- Trent Hollerich and Rachel Batalden ’05 were married on 2/17/07.
- Kelly Anderson and Matt Diercks ’04 became man and wife on 10/21/06.
- Kate Neely and Bryan Meadows.
- Chandra Daw and Erich Ziegler were wed on 8/26/06.
- Kyra Kingsley and Erik Severson said their nuptials on 10/13/06.
- Tanna Tuomie and Brady Hoffman ’05 tied the knot on 10/20/06.
- Alisha Hussong and J.J. Galle were married on 6/24/06.
- Kelly Anderson Diercks is MIAC assistant director in St. Paul, MN.
- Stephanie Arndt is College of St. Scholastica’s assistant athletic trainer in Duluth, MN.
- Sara Boldt teaches physical education at Wayzata high school and is head coach for JV girl’s basketball team.
- Eric Boyum is in medical School at Washington University in St. Louis, MO.
- Brandon Darcy teaches band/choir and K-12 music at Campbell-Tintah Public School in Campbell, MN.
- Anders Eckman is still a class agent and headhunting for G. F. Parish Group in Minnetonka, MN and singing with the group Vocal Essence.
- Matthew Forbes is still a class agent and kind of a big deal in Washington DC working for Congressman Collin Peterson (D - MN).
- Kelsey Gordon is a graduate student at UW LaCrosse, WI in clinical exercise physiology in cardiac rehab.
- Meagan Gore Weber works as staff accountant in Minneapolis, MN.
- Heidi Gruenhagen is an RN for Gillette Children’s specialty healthcare in a pediatric intensive care unit, specializing in trauma and heavy surgical cases.
- Erica Hedstrom works for Login, Inc in St. Paul.
- Justin Haaheim is living in Argentina doing service work through a program of the ELCA.
- Erika Hitchcock works at United Hospital in a cardiac telemetry unit in St. Paul, MN.
- Peter Hughes is an associate in oral and facial surgery and an anesthetist assistant.
- Sally Johnson teaches at New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva school district.
- Hannah Johnson is a student at Luther Seminary in St. Paul and a youth director at Chisago Lake Lutheran Church.
- Gina Kilchenman is the sales and catering coordinator at the Sheraton Bloomington Hotel.
- Amanda Kimmet is a graduate student at Chicago Lutheran School of Theology.
- Kathryn Lawson works for EarthCorps, which is on the AmeriCorps program.
- Andrea Nelson is an athletic trainer for Alexandria Orthopedic Associates.
- Courtney Noecker is living in Panama with Youth with a Mission.
- Annie O’Dell is a field manager for Cold Stone Creamery.
- Michelle Ohman is a staff accountant at Larson Allen.
- Jessica Olson is still a class agent and loving it! Working at Target Corporation.
- Katie Parks is still a class agent and loving it! Also, works for Target as an executive team leader in Plymouth, MN.
- Gwen Peterson is teaching science in Houston Texas through Teach for America program.
- Mollie Peterson is still a class agent and loving it! She works part-time as a youth director at Mt. Olivet West Campus and a full-time student at Luther Seminary.
- Christine Rasmussen currently works at River Rock Café in St. Peter, MN.
- Noelle Salmonson works as an adventure ocean youth staff with the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line.
- Aulaire Schmitz is in the chemistry department at Indiana University.
- Matthew Swenson, according to Facebook, Mr. Gustavus 2005, is now taken. Sorry ladies!
- Andy Tschida is a geospatial analyst at Continental Mapping, Inc.
- Wade Wietgrefe is a graduate student in city planning at the University of Arizona and enjoying the weather.
- Marie Williams is student teaching at a performance art school in Hopkins, MN.
- Nathan Zilka works at Behavioral Interventions, Inc. providing case management of undocumented immigrants to the Department of Homeland Security.
Alumni Awards Announced
The Alumni Association announces the following 2007 awards selected by the Alumni Board of Directors.
Greater Gustavus Award – Given to those who, by deed, have notably advanced and aided Gustavus Adolphus College:
- Russ and Jan (Ledin) Michaletz ’74 ’74
Distinguished Alumni Citations – Recognizes outstanding and exceptional professional achievement
- Paul Peterson ’94, principal, St. Peter High School, Minnesota State High School Principal of the Year.
- Margaret Anderson Kelliher ’90, house speaker, Minnesota House of Representatives.
First Decade Awards – Recognizes early professional achievement
- Jennifer Pleuss Spande ’97, diplomat, Political and Economic Section, U.S. Embassy, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- Alexander Hill ’97, senior scientist, Medtronic, Inc.
The Greater Gustavus Award and Distinguished Alumni Citations will be presented at the Alumni Banquet on Saturday, May 26, and the First Decade Awards will be presented during Homecoming Weekend, October 13.
Lindau Symposium brings Richard John Neuhaus to campus
The Rev. Richard John Neuhaus, a well-known conservative Catholic intellectual, will address “Religion in American Public Life” at the inaugural Lindau Symposium at Gustavus on Tuesday, May 8, 2007, 7:30 p.m. in Alumni Hall. A gift to the College from Phil ’58 and Nancy Lindau given prior to Phil’s death last April established the symposium at Gustavus that bears his name. Lindau, a commodities trader and executive who served Gustavus as a board member, campaign chair, and longtime volunteer leader, was passionate about the faith-life intersection and the church-relatedness of his alma mater. The symposium, which the Lindau family and College officials anticipate will be an annual event, aims to provide a forum in which diverse intellectual voices and mainstream beliefs and values can be brought together in a liberal arts environment.
Gustavus Choir Reunion to Celebrate 75 Years
Alumni and friends of the Gustavus Choir are welcome to attend a reunion on Saturday, May 5. The day will include an alumni choir rehearsal, a banquet for past and current members of the choir, and a full concert with both the alumni choir and the Gustavus Choir. For more information, contact the Office of Fine Arts Programs at 507/933-7013.
Celebrating 75 Years of Theatre at Gustavus
The Department of Theatre and Dance celebrates 75 years of theatre at Gustavus with a reunion on May 11 and 12. Highlights of the weekend will include an afternoon program sharing memories and monologs from the past 75 years and viewing the performance of The Tempest in Anderson Theatre. For more information and to register, go to the theatre reunion section of the Alumni website at <gustavus.edu/alumni> or call the Alumni Office at 800/487-8437.
Upcoming Alumni Events
- Celebrating 75 years of Theatre Reunion - May 11-12
- Class of 1962 - 45th Anniversary Reunion – May 25 & 26
- Class of 1957 - 50th Anniversary Reunion – May 25 & 26
- 50 Year Club Reunion – May 26
Remember to stay in touch! Have a great summer!
Mollie Peterson, Katie Parks, Jess Olson, Anders Eckman, Matt Forbes, and Matt Swenson
2006 Class Agents