Class of 2005
Dear Fellow Gusties,
Greetings from sunny California! I hope this letter finds you well and warm in Minnesota or wherever your travels may have taken you. This year, my husband and I moved (again) to beautiful northern California with his job. I think I have written the January letter every year from a different state! California is no Minnesota, but it is home for now and we are enjoying what there is to see and do.
I completed nursing school in August and am now working in the ICU at the local hospital. It is an exciting and new challenge every day. Other than that, just trying to make our new house a home and hoping our dogs get used to the climate (yet again).
We are just a little over one year away from our five-year reunion. Can you believe it has been nearly five years already?! I was back to campus two weeks ago, actually to bring my little sister back to her dorm after a long weekend and I still got excited when driving up the hill! I have so many wonderful memories and am thrilled that she is going to get the same great experience that I had at Gustavus.
In order to maintain that same great experience for other students to come, it is important to think about making a gift in return to Gustavus, especially since our reunion is fast approaching. Another great way to give back would be to assist in the planning for our reunion. If you are interested in joining the reunion planning committee you can contact one of us or Erin Holloway Wilken ’02, (the new assistant alumni director) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Start thinking reunion…
Liz Zappetillo Lewis
2005 Co-class Agent
Here is what’s going on with our classmates!
- Matt Rich, Dundas, is an attorney with Grundhoefer & Ludescher, P.A. in Northfield, MN.
- Eva Miller Christianson, St. Louis Park, currently works in the cardiac unit at Fairview University Medical Center.
- Elizabeth Seefeldt, St. Paul, is employed as a freelance graphic designer.
- Laura Stypulkowski and Kent Kramer, Hugo, were married on August, 16 2008. Laura is employed as a physical therapist for Special Children Center, while Kent works for Country Insurance as an underwriter.
- Heather Sieben, Hastings, married Christopher Bell in September 2008.
- Jenny Vigoren, Alexandria, VA is working toward her master’s of French studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Alyssa Paulson, Minneapolis, is an account manager at BI: The Business Improvement.
- Mikaela Schmitt married Joseph Harsh in August 2008 they live in Indianapolis, IN.
- Katherine Schoeneck, West St. Paul, is employed as a finance assistant at the Minnesota Opera.
- Megan Anderson, St. Paul, is working at Hamline University in the Hancock/Hamline Collaboration.
- Kim Eisenreich, Providence, RI works as an education coordinator for NeighborWorks Blackstone, a community development corporation in River Valley, RI. She is also pursuing a graduate degree from Brown University in urban education policy.
- Sara Dassenko, Eden Prairie, is attending the University of Minnesota, working toward a master’s degree in nursing.
- Congratulations to Matthew Volenec, Angela Ingersoll, and Josh Dwyer for having their research titled “Age-Structure and Genetic Diversity In Of Four Quercus Macrocarpa (Michx.) Populations In Fragmented Oak Savanna Along The Central Minnesota River Valley” published in the April 2009 issue of American Midland Naturalist.
Haugen Named Head Football Coach
Peter Haugen was named the new head football coach in mid-December. Haugen posted a 111-44 record in 15 years at Washburn High School. He is the 17th head coach in the 93-year history of Gustavus football. Haugen started the second week of January. A Twin Cities reception to meet Coach Haugen will be held on Thursday, February 12, 5-8 p.m. at Doubletree Hotel Minneapolis-Park Place, 1500 Park Place Boulevard. RSVP to the Alumni Office 800-487-8437.
President Ohle is on the Road!
Please join President Ohle, his wife Kris, and other Gustavus staff at a chapter dessert reception near you. President Ohle will be visiting 11 cities around the country in the coming months and all alumni, parents, and friends of the College are invited to attend a reception. Dates are listed below or check out the Alumni website to find out more details.
Mustaphi Named Michelle Obama’s Deputy Press Secretary
Semonti Mustaphi ’03 was recently named Deputy Press Secretary for First Lady Michelle Obama. Mustaphi worked on the Obama campaign, and has also held communications positions for three senators. Mustaphi graduated with a political science and communication studies double major, danced in the Gustavus Dance Company, and was an Anderson Scholar.
Join us for the “Come on You Gustie” Breakfasts. The breakfasts are held the third Wednesday of each month at the Doubletree Hotel, Minneapolis-Park Place, 1500 Park Place Boulevard (Hwy 394 and Hwy 100). The breakfast runs from 8-9:30 and is $10 per person. Reserve a spot by calling Don Swanson ’55 at (763) 533-9083. February’s speaker will be Kris Kracht, communications; forensics head coach.
Alumni Insurance Programs
Are you in need of short-term medical insurance and between jobs? Meyers and Associates can help with temporary medical insurance as well as life insurance. For information about life and short-term medical insurance, call 800-635-7801 or visit meyerandassociates.com . Want to save money on your car insurance? As a Gustavus alumnus you qualify for special group discounts through Liberty Mutual.
Want to support Gustie professionals? In need of a doctor, pastor, or financial adviser? Look in the Gustie Pages, an online database of Gusties who have submitted information about their profession. Use the Gustavus network to meet your needs, or submit your professional information if you would like other Gusties to become your customers. Go to the Gustie Pages at the alumni website, www.gustavus.edu.
Mark your calendars now for Homecoming 2009! The Gustavus football team will face off against Pacific Lutheran University on Saturday, Oct. 10. Watch for more information about tons of fun events the weekend of Oct. 9 and 10.
Music Ensemble Tours
Both the Gustavus Wind Orchestra and the Gustavus String Orchestra will be touring at the end of January and beginning of February. The Wind Orchestra will tour mainly in the Denver area, but will also make two appearances in South Dakota. The String Orchestra will travel from Stillwater through Iowa, Missouri, Tennessee, Ohio, Illinois, and Wisconsin. Check out times and locations in your area by going to: gustavus.edu/finearts/touringschedule/
Upcoming Alumni Events
- 100th Anniversary of Gustavus Men's Basketball - Feb. 7
- Twin Cities Gustie Breakfast, Kris Kracht, communications; forensics head coach - Feb. 18
- Tucson Chapter Gathering - Feb. 19, Westward Look Resort
- Phoenix Chapter Gathering - Feb. 20, Millennium Resort, Scottsdale
- Los Angeles Chapter Gathering - Feb. 28, Art Director's Guild, Studio City
- Boston Chapter Gathering - March 14, Hyatt Regency Cambridge
- New York Chapter Gathering - March 16, New York Marriott East Side
- Twin Cities Gustie Breakfast, Ken Westphal, vice president for finance - March 18
- Seattle Chapter Gathering - March 21, Trinity Lutheran Church, Freeland, WA
- San Francisco Chapter Gathering - March 23, Hotel Vitale
- Twin Cities Gustie Breakfast, Steve Wilkinson, retiring men's tennis coach - April 15