Class of 2003
Greetings Gustavus Class of 2003:
After agreeing to serve as the newest class agent, I was presented with the opportunity to write the first class letter of the New Year. I started reflecting on what I would say in this letter as I watched the Rose Bowl Parade on New Year’s Day.
Like many people, as I rang in the New Year, I set resolutions for 2009 and reflected on all that had happened in 2008. For me, 2008 was a whirlwind of a year. Amongst other things, I got married in June, started a new job in September, and had the pleasure of catching up with former classmates at our five-year reunion in October.
While the news may categorize 2008 as a year many people would rather forget. The interactions I had this past year, with people I knew in Saint Peter, reminded me how blessed I am. Living in Saint Peter, and spending four years up on “the hill” provided me with so much. I received the educational foundation necessary to attend law school and pursue my career. I became a member of an exclusive, diverse, and extremely talented alumni network. Finally, I made life long friends that will stand by my side through thick and thin.
I urge each of you to consider what your life would be like if you had not been a part of the Gustavus community. Most importantly consider what your life would be missing. Then consider giving a gift to Gustavus. Even though our five year reunion has passed, and economic times have been better, current and future Gusties still rely on the Gustavus Annual Fund to provide the resources necessary to pursue their dreams as many of us also did. Also, continue to send in your updates about all the new and exciting changes that happen throughout the year! And as always “Go Gusties.”
2003 Co-class Agent
- Luke Magnuson was married to Samantha Logiudice on May 30, 2008.
- Robbi Palombi married Jason Mondati on September 20, 2008 in Ely, Minnesota.
- Tanner ’04 and Annie (Potts) Grimmius welcomed Miles Jay Grimmius to the family on November 23, 2007.
- Samuel and Megan (Trapp) Henschen welcomed William Samuel Henschen to the family on September 16, 2008.
- Daniel and Molly (McKay) Steffen welcomed Logan Steffen to the family July 7, 2008.
- Scott Witty welcomed Lola Witty to the family on May 22, 2008.
- Caroline Brost graduated from Northwestern Health Sciences University in November 2006 with a doctor of chiropractic degree; she is now working at The Brost Clinic in Wayzata, Minnesota. Caroline is certified to do acupuncture and nutritional counseling.
- Jack Evans is working as a Minnesota assistant attorney general.
- Annie Potts Grimmius is working as a health promotions coordinator for South County Health Alliance.
- Ginny Miatech Jechorek is teaching kindergarten in Wayzata.
- Robert Jilek is a Ph.D. candidate at the University of Minnesota, and will be graduating in June 2009.
- Audra Mueller is working as a reference attorney for Thomson Reuters.
- Carl Nelson is working for the Nicollet County Historical Society.
- Nicholas Novak is studying to get his Master’s in Business Administration.
- Nicki Shay is working is an intern of pediatric neuropsychology at the University of Michigan-Henry Ford.
- Cassandra Holst Truelove is working as a teacher/youth minister for Canterbury School/St. Mark’s Lutheran in Fort Wayne, IN.
- Mary Wenstrom is living in Beijing, China.
Haugen Named Head Football Coach
Peter Haugen was named the new head football coach in mid-December. Haugen posted an 111-44 record in 15 years at Washburn High School. He is the 17th head coach in the 93-year history of Gustavus football. Haugen started the second week of January.
President Ohle is on the road!
Please join President Ohle, his wife Kris, and other Gustavus staff at a chapter dessert reception near you. President Ohle will be visiting 11 cities around the country in the coming months and all alumni, parents, and friends of the College are invited to attend a reception. Dates are listed below or check out the Alumni website to find out more details.
Mustaphi Named Michelle Obama’s Deputy Press Secretary
Semonti Mustaphi ’03 was recently named Deputy Press Secretary for First Lady Michelle Obama. Mustaphi worked on the Obama campaign, and has also held communications positions for three senators. Mustaphi graduated with a political science and communication studies double major, danced in the Gustavus Dance Company, and was an Anderson Scholar.
Join us for the “Come on You Gustie” Breakfasts. The breakfasts are held the third Wednesday of each month at the Doubletree Hotel, Minneapolis-Park Place, 1500 Park Place Boulevard (Hwy 394 and Hwy 100). The breakfast runs from 8-9:30 and is $10 per person. Reserve a spot by calling Don Swanson ’55 at (763) 533-9083. February’s speaker will be Kris Kracht, communications; forensics head coach.
Alumni Insurance Programs
Are you in need of short-term medical insurance and between jobs? Meyers and Associates can help with temporary medical insurance as well as life insurance. For information about life and short-term medical insurance, call 800-635-7801 or visit Meyer and Associates. Want to save money on your car insurance? As a Gustavus alumnus you qualify for special group discounts through Liberty Mutual.
Want to support Gustie professionals? In need of a doctor, pastor, or financial adviser? Look in the Gustie Pages, an online database of Gusties who have submitted information about their profession. Use the Gustavus network to meet your needs, or submit your professional information if you would like other Gusties to become your customers. Go to the Gustie Pages at the alumni website, www.gustavus.edu/alumni.
Mark your calendars now for Homecoming 2009! The Gustavus football team will face off against Pacific Lutheran University on Saturday, Oct. 10. Watch for more information about tons of fun events the weekend of Oct. 9 and 10.
Upcoming Alumni Events
- Chicago Alumni Gathering - Jan. 29, Hyatt Regency O'Hare, 7 p.m.
- 100th Anniversary of Gustavus Men's Basketball - Feb. 7
- Twin Cities Gustie Breakfast, Kris Kracht, communications; forensics head coach - Feb. 18
- Tucson Chapter Gathering - Feb. 19, Westward Look Resort
- Phoenix Chapter Gathering - Feb. 20, Millennium Resort, Scottsdale
- Los Angeles Chapter Gathering - Feb. 28, Art Director's Guild, Studio City
- Boston Chapter Gathering - Mar. 14, Hyatt Regency Cambridge
- New York Chapter Gathering - Mar. 16, New York Marriott East Side