Class of 2003
Hello! For those of you who are wondering where the heck your January class letter from Gustavus has been, I'm sorry. It's late, and I've been procrastinating.
This letter has LOTS of stuff about our classmates, so I won't have to ramble too much. However, I want to let you know that I have the chance to hang out with the wonderful Dana Langer every day working for the State Senate. Dana's big wedding day is in March! I also have the pleasure of seeing Carmen Mayo, Meghan O'Neil and Jason Flohrs (yes, he's back from the Peace Corps) every once in a while. They're right down the hall working for the Minnesota House of Representatives. It's amazing how many Gusties are here in St. Paul!
If you're ever at Lake Minnetonka on the weekends, stop by Lord Fletcher's. Chances are Elizabeth Danks and Becca Smith will be playing broomball on the rink out back. It's pretty entertaining―especially when I get to stand outside in the freezing cold with Kelli Swanson, Jennifer Wood, and Sara Kilby and dodge the balls flying off the sides of the rink (most likely being hit by Danks).
Lindsay Larson and friends suggested that we all meet up at a Johnny Holm show in the Cities. How about Saturday, March 6th at Major's in Woodbury? See you there. You can check out the website for more details: http://www.johnnyholm.com/appearances.htm.
The latest news I've heard about Ryan Hoag is that he's in Los Angeles playing for the Los Angeles Avengers, an Arena Football Team: http://www.arenafootball.com/teams/los_angeles_avengers/403401.html
Before I get to the latest news about our classmates, here is Mik Gusenius's report from his closet in the basement of the Edgar M. Carlson Administration building:
Thanks to those of you who have made a gift to the Gustavus Alumni Fund this year. Sixty-one members of our class (listed below) have made gifts to the College during this fiscal year (June 1, 2003 - May 31, 2004) for more than $1,600. There is plenty of time before May 31 to get those gifts in. We're not asking for anything big - $5 here and there adds up pretty quick for a class our size. Then again, so does $50. But participation is the key. Do what you can; the College and its students really appreciate your support. After all, someone did it for you. Some of you will say "But I paid $26,000 cash out of my own pocket" or "I still owe that College $50,000." I say, "It would have been a lot worse without the generous donations of our alumni" and "You owe the College nothing but your thanks for a quality education and a wonderful college experience." Besides, you owe the government $50,000…not Gustavus. And what's another$5 or $50 anyway? For those of you that have already made a gift - thank you…you rule! For those of you that have already made a pledge - thank you…you also rule! And for those of you that have done neither - we'll be calling…and you rule, too! If you would rather not talk to us, go ahead and give online at: https://secure.gac.edu/giving/giving.cfm and you won't be called. Most gifts go to the unrestricted general Gustavus Fund and the College uses the money wherever it is most needed - but you can also designate your gift to any area of the College from the football team to the chemistry department.
Class of 2003 Donors
- Katie Ackert
- Aaron Allar
- Jordan Anderson
- Andrea Arnold
- Jade Bakke
- Jill Batalden
- Anna Battisti
- Jenny Lingle Beer
- Dave Bernhardson
- Anne Beschnett
- Nick Brase
- Laurie Brown
- Eric Carl
- Ian Christenson
- Brooke Fails
- Elise Getter
- Elizabeth Grant
- Mik Gusenius
- Becca Harrington
- Allison Hawley
- Jessica Heiden
- Sarh Keiser
- Sara Kilby
- Mike Koolen
- Julie Langenfeld
- Danielle Lindeman
- Jane Loosbrock
- Jessica Lundquist
- Jay Manske
- Emileana McClish
- Ambryn Melius
- Adam Moseley
- Jennifer Moses
- Brice Norton
- Kali Ofstehage
- Katie Pelleymounter
- Jared Phillips
- Nicole Polanco
- Annie Potts
- Tom Ramy
- Kira Rice
- Adam Roberts
- Heidi Sands
- Tracy Shimek
- Steph Siekman
- Aeleah Soine
- Sonja Spande
- Stephanie Larsen Staples
- Kassie Stecker
- Dan Suedbeck
- Andy Sveen
- Ann Svehla
- Hans Sviggum
- Lauren Swanstrom
- Emily Tremain
- Kari Vickerman
- Jerry Washington
- Nate Watters
- Leslie Wilcox
- Steph Winter
- Jennifer Wood
Now for the fun news about classmates. If you're not listed and/or have updates on what you've been doing lately, please email one of the class agents (see addresses below) or contact the Alumni Office at Gustavus (email@example.com). It's great to keep connections with Gustavus and each other!
- Andy Anderson is volunteering for AmeriCorps and is based out of Charleston, SC.
- Michelle Anderson is in graduate school at Loyola University in Chicago.
- Kathy Batalden is in graduate school at the University of Colorado.
- Jenny Lingle and Joe Beer were married November 1, 2003.
- Jessica Schenk is pursuing her master of arts degree in special education at the University of St. Thomas.
- Kris Rosborough is pursuing a teaching license at the University of St. Thomas and is also the assistant girls tennis coach for Holy Family Catholic High School in Victoria, Minnesota.
- Steph Flinn is currently teaching at Minnetonka Middle School West and is moving to Arizona after she is married this summer. (Her neighbor in Minneapolis is Lauren Swanstrom!)
- Danielle Lindeman is getting married this summer.
- Rachel Gruber is starting at Minnetonka High School in February for a long-term sub position.
- Nate Bergengren is now working as the director of youth ministry at Cross of Glory Lutheran Church in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota.
- Christine Anderson is the 7th grade choir director at Hidden Oaks Middle School in Prior Lake, Minnesota.
- Lindsay Wright is working as an associate program manager for Ryan Partnership in Minneapolis.
- Chris Vanjoske is teaching 5th grade, full-time at University Avenue Elementary School in the Anoka-Hennepin School District.
- Nicole Cullip works for Cazarin Web Group.
- Nathan Selander is working as a software engineer for Thomson West.
- Stephanie Hass is an extractionist for a chemical company and is living with Karla Reps, who works in the same building as a project manager. Karla is also engaged to her long-time boyfriend, Paul!
- Vanessa Young is enrolled in the graduate dental program at the University of Minnesota.
- Kurt Habben is enrolled in the medical program at the University of Minnesota.
- Kristie Campana is enrolled in the psychology program at the University of Minnesota.
- Kristen Fichtner is enrolled in the psychology program in St. Cloud.
- Jennifer Thingvold spent the summer in Arizona finishing up her intelligence training for the National Guard and moved to Georgia to train for her trip to Kosovo, where she will be in February to the end of September 2004. In Kosovo, she will be running a 24-hour continuous operation and Jennifer will be either on a 12-hour day/night shift. Her job title is the Battle Captain for G3 Operations. Basically, according to Jennifer, she will be in charge of tracking all the intelligence occurring in Kosovo and around the country and then briefing the Generals on Current Intelligence/threats. WOW!
- Dana Langer will be married to Benjamin Kohlbeck this March!
- Joanie Preiner is a paraprofessional/teacher's aid at South View Middle School and is in graduate school at the University of St. Thomas, pursuing her master's of education.
- Jerry Washington is living in Philadelphia, PA and working as a care coordinator (aka case manager) for an inner-city school based behavior health program.
- Ginny Miatech is the director of discipleship at First Lutheran Church in Duluth, Minnesota.
- Laura Schultz is at the University of Minnesota Law School.
- Lauren Swanstrom is interning (part-time) for HECUA Consortium and working part-time at Cost Plus World Market.
- Sonja Strampe is in graduate school at the Minnesota Paralegal Institute.
- Monica Paulson is in the Peace Corps in Guatemala.
- Britta Carlson is in the Urban Servant Corps in Denver, Colorado.
- Jesse Heiden is at San Diego State pursuing her master's of sociology.
- Nate Brase is interning with J.P. Morgan in London for a year.
- Sarah Keiser is a math teacher at Simley High School in Inver Grove Heights, MN.
- Anna Felkey is working in clinical research in peripheral interventions at Boston Scientific and is coaching diving at Maple Grove, Park Center and Osseo High Schools.
- Phillip Knoll is currently working as a consultant for Atomic Playpen, a web development firm in uptown Minneapolis. And he still hates computers.
- Annie Daleske is at graduate school for theatrical design at Tulane University in New Orleans, and is specializing in scenic and property design for theatre under a full tuition waiver as well as a teaching assistantship.
- Sarah Bakken is interning at Weber Shandwick, a Bloomington-based public relations firm.
- Nick Tollefson is a consumer lender at TCF Bank and is living in Colorado.
- Bethany Nass is a second grade teacher at Red Oak Elementary School in Shakopee, MN.
- Lindsay Larson is an editor at ThomsonWest in Eagan.
- Sarah Grimsby is working as a sales assistant for AM 1500 KSTP "The Talk Station" and lives in Edina, MN.
- Justin Hanson is a teacher for School District 112 in Chaska, MN.
- Kristen O'Connell is an editor for Codes Content at Thomson West.
- Allison Hawley is the office manager for the Minnesota Women's Political Caucus and the Live Entertainment Manager at Valleyfair.
- Greg Nix is a volunteer with AmeriCorps in Flagstaff, AZ.
- Mike Miller is at St. Cloud State University working towards a graduate degree in sports management.
- Lindsey Price is a VISTA literacy volunteer with AmeriCorps working at the Carver-Scott Educational Cooperative.
- Lin Ly is the owner of Unidad en la Amistad, her Spanish interpreting/translating business, and also implements after school programs for Latino children. She lives in Burlington, IA.
- Katie Ackert is working through Lutheran Volunteer Corps for Umoja Student Development Corporation in Chicago.
- Rob Jeppson is a special education teacher's assistant for Lakeville High School. He is also in the MAT program for physical education and health education at Hamline University.
- Lindsay Parker is a financial associate for Thrivant Financial for Lutherans in East Lansing, MI.
- After sweeping the NCAA Division III singles and doubles titles last May, Eric Butorac has been enjoying success playing tennis in France this past fall.
- Jill Batalden is working at Target Corporation as a business analyst for women's sleepwear and robes. It's her job to work with the buyers to make sure that the products get to the right stores, at the right time, in the right quantities. In her free time, she enjoys hanging out with her Gustie friends!
- Maggie Suby is in optometry school in Portland, OR.
- Maisee Ly is the director of the Family Learning Center for ACTS (Asian Community Together in Service) of St. Paul.
- Kim Jacobson is employed at the "Ranger Review" as a reporter in Glendive, MT.
- Mara Oien Thiele was married to Charles, last August. They are living in Columbia Heights, MN.
- Emily Ament Wartsbaugh was married to Keith last June.
- Kristen Swanson married Eric Hauge last June. Kristen is a science/math instructor at the Area Learning Center for NorthEast Metro Intermediate School District 916 in Columbia Heights. Eric works as a VISTA employee for HomeLine Minnesota. They live in St. Paul.
- Mary Rosener and Michael Swiggum '04 were married in September at Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church in Apple Valley, MN. They are now living in Uptown. Mary is working at Century Junior High in Forest Lake as a behavior intervention specialist for the Special Education Department. They had a fabulous honeymoon in Hawaii camping and hiking in Kauki and the Big Island.
- Stephanie Larsen married Lance Staples '02 at Gustavus Adolphus Chapel last June. Stephanie is working as a nurse at Veteran's Hospital in Minneapolis, and Lance is working as a computer programmer at Imagetrend, Inc. in Lakeville. They live in Apple Valley.
- Matt Carlson is in graduate school in Missouri for counseling psychology.
- Jake Svard is managing a Domino's in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Sara Rannetsberger just got back from an eight-week road trip and decided to live in Littleton, CO.
- Cynthia Lee, Annie Jesperson, and Bridget Daniel are in Seattle, WA, Portland, OR, and Hillsboro, OR, respectively, working for Jesuit Volunteer Corps.
And for some news about Gustavus:
Building a Greater Gustavus Reaches Target
Gustavus celebrates reaching the $100 million target for the Building a Greater Gustavus capital campaign. The campaign includes reconstruction projects following the 1998 tornados, the creation of the Center for Vocational Reflection, growth of the Christ Chapel Endowment, the C. Charles Jackson Campus Center, the Curtis and Arleen Carlson International Center, the Barbro Osher Svenska Huset (Swedish House), the new soccer and track complex, and more than 100 new scholarships. Efforts continue to raise funds for campaign projects, such as Old Main renovation, Gustavus Alumni Fund, and further endowment growth. Special thanks! goes to the volunteers and donors who contributed their resources to assist current and future Gusties.
New Gustavus Video
Have you been to campus lately? Can you remember your first time seeing Gustavus? The Admission Office has created a new video/DVD for prospective students to take a look at the College. Take a look online if you wish at <http://gustavus.edu/admission/tour/video/>.
The Gustavus Symphonic Orchestra took a 16-day concert tour to China performing in such places as Beijing, the Great Wall, and Tianjin. The Gustavus Choir took a 10-day concert tour to selected cities in North Dakota, Colorado, Nebraska, and Minnesota and the Gustavus Wind Orchestra, formerly the Gustavus Band, also toured during Spring Break.
Gustavus is among leaders in Academic All-Americans. The College Sports Information Directors of America have recently released a list of institutions with the highest number of Academic All-Americans over the past three years. Gustavus ranks 14th out of all programs competing at the NCAA Divisions I, II, and III, and NAIA levels.
Peter Krause '87 returned to Gustavus in November to meet and conduct workshops with students. Krause has been nominated for Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild and Emmy awards for his role as Nate Fisher in the critically and commercially acclaimed HBO drama, "Six Feet Under." With the hope that the day would focus more on the students than on his newfound fame, Krause spent the afternoon doing acting work with classes and theatre and dance majors.
In case you missed the note in the Fall 2003 issue of the Gustavus Quarterly, we are asking alumni to send in short reminiscences, tributes, and anecdotes about professors who made a difference in their education -"the teachers and mentors who have made a lasting impression, who have imparted life lessons, whom you remember for their wit, or their mastery, or their encouragement, or their exacting standards . . . or their idiosyncrasies." We are planning to focus an upcoming issue of the Quarterly on "great teaching" and would like to hear from those who experienced the classes of those great professors. Send your paragraphs and stories to either Randall Stuckey '83, director of alumni relations (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Steve Waldhauser '70 (email@example.com), managing editor of the Quarterly, or in the mail to the College.
Upcoming Chapter Events
- Atlanta, Georgia, Gustavus gathering - February 26
- Tampa Bay, Florida, Gustavus gathering - February 27
- Naples, Florida, Gustavus gathering - February 28
- Vero Beach, Florida, Gustavus gathering - February 29
- Sun City, Arizona, Gustavus gathering - March 19
- Phoenix, Arizona, Gustavus gathering - March 20
- Tucson, Arizona, Gustavus gathering - March 21
Want more news? Go to gustavus.edu and check out the alumni page. Also, remember to e-mail one of your class agents if you have any news to share or need to update your contact information. Or, you could stop by the lower level of the Administration Building to say hi to Mik. He probably gets lonely down there.
Hope all is well,
2003 Co-class Agent
2003 Class Agents:
Leslie Wilcox: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jade Bakke: CJBakke@Viterbo.edu
Mik Gusenius: email@example.com
Jenny Lingle Beer: firstname.lastname@example.org