Class of 2002
5-Year Reunion ― October 12 & 13, 2007
Dear Gustie Classmates,
I write this letter on a hot summer day in Georgia. Living far from Minnesota has given me the opportunity to reflect on and appreciate all that is Minnesota including Gustavus and St. Peter. At least to me, my tenure at Gustavus was a time of no worries, social events, the creation of close, life-long friendships and intriguing academic discussions that all promoted personal growth. This might be selective memory, but humor me. Some of my favorite memories include being woken up at the crack of dawn to take a picture at the Gustavus sign with my closest friends on my birthday. Another favorite memory was when my husband proposed under candle light in the chapel. I’ll also never forget dancing on the Andersen stage especially surrounded by the energy of the Gustavus community. The intriguing and fascinating discussions that not only surrounded individual groups of people, but also events such as Nobel Conference, Building Bridges, etc. stand as permanent photos in my memory. My wish is you have similar memories…
I am who I am today in large part due to my experiences at Gustavus. I hope you are similarly able think back to your time and have similar memories of personal growth. As a way to give thanks and celebrate our time together, I would like to personally invite each one of you to our 5-year reunion celebration activities that will take place October 12-14, 2007. I would also invite you to seriously consider giving a financial gift to Gustavus in thanks for your time and experiences while you were at Gustavus.
Thank you and I hope to see you all in October!
2002 Guest Letter Writer
A brief note from the class of 2002 class agents Karen & Katherine:
Thanks, Melanie, for writing our class letter this summer!
Thus far, our class has 17% participation and nearly $16,000 in donations, and $4000 in pledges. This is wonderful!! Thanks so much to all who have donated!
Updates follow as well as some “missing Gustie classmates” – please check out both below. We hope to see you at the reunion in October!
Have you seen these classmates?
If you know how to get a hold of any of the following classmates, please let them know that Gustavus would love to know how to reach them and their updates. Please personally invite them to our class reunion as well. Thanks for your help!
- Gloria Chow
- Krista Churness
- Brian Emerick
- Jennie Kinneberg Emerick
- Lou Foyou
- Adil Ghiasi
- Rena Hartman
- Angie Haukebo
- Kristen Keran
- Marlene Kluss
- Kate Skrypek Louwagie
- Disa Isaacson Luers
- Linda E. Mertens
- Carl Nelson
- Ghislaine Ouedraogo
- John D. Person
- Jenny Raiche
- Jessica Risco
- Dave Scripps
- Ross Smith
- Alan Sommervold
In the news…
Through the University of Kansas, Jill Wendorff was one of the architecture students involved in a building project that was named “Home of the Year” by Architecture magazine.
- Katie Bertrand is working as a research biologist at South Dakota State University in Brookings, SD.
- Sara Brigger Gleason is now leading Northwest Airline’s sales communications team from the airline’s Eagan headquarters.
- Katy Duncan Davenport is a manager of financial reporting for UnitedHealth Group.
- Phillip Eckels continues to work at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center as a medical scientist.
- Katja Ericson is employed by the Domestic Violence Center of Howard County.
- Kjirsten (Holmquist) Everling is a program manager with Ryan Partnership.
- Kirsten Frydenlund Rueckert is employed by the Rochester School District.
- Krista Fuerstenberg Thomas is a manager of regional training at Sanofi Pasteur (vaccine manufacturer) for the North Central Region.
- Christopher Greavu is the manager of retail marketing operations at 20th Century Fox Studios.
- Kerri Bouska Johannsen is living in Washington, D.C. for the year working on an energy bill in the Senate Agriculture Committee.
- Bob Logan is working as enrollment director for Capella University.
- Laura Wagner is a first lieutenant, special operations with the U.S. Air Force.
- Sarah Wagner is a soybean meal merchant for Cargill, Inc.
- Kevin Bergeson graduated from Luther Seminary in May with a master’s of divinity.
- Andrew Bussey will be moving to Denver in the fall for graduate school.
- Brooke Dirtzu is relocating to Atlanta after traveling to Brazil this summer. She will begin a Ph.D. program in history at Emory University.
- Heather Pearson Gammon recently graduated from the University of Minnesota Medical School and recently started her residency program in obstetrics/gynecology.
- Amanda Havnen completed her Ph.D. in biomedical engineering from Wake Forest University.
- Trevor Johnson is a graduate student at the University of St. Thomas.
- Paul Miller graduated from Lutheran Theological Seminary in May 2006 and was ordained in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. He serves as an assistant pastor at Trinity Lutheran Church in Moorhead, MN.
- Elizabeth Oldre received her reading license from Hamline University and is now a first grade teacher in Minnetonka.
- Allison Opay Wong graduated from Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans in May 2006 and is doing her residency in family medicine at the University of Minnesota/St. Johns’ Hospital.
- Ruth Robinson recently graduated from St. Thomas and is starting her studies toward a Ph.D. in the fall.
- Katie Carlson Schoeppner is beginning school this fall at the University of Minnesota School of Social Work.
- Tracy Vicory was accepted into an MFA Creative Writing Program in the Seattle area and was scheduled to begin her program in July. Tracy has written and produced two plays in the last two years and was recently inspired to apply into this program.
- Laura Beres and Andrew Bristle were married on May 26, 2007.
- Krista Fuerstenberg and Chad Thomas were married on April 26 in Playa del Carmen, Mexico.
- Erick Hoberg and Tracy Hohertz ’05 were married on October 14 in Victoria, MN.
- Heather Pearson was married to Brandon Gammon on March 24, 2007.
- Daniel Routh and Delana Ostgard were married in October 14, 2006.
- Alyssa Stanley and Erik Stroemer were married on May 5, 2007.
- Allison Opay and Jimmy Wong were married on May 19, 2007.
- Annika Wilson was married to Dan Hanson on May 22 in Olowalu, Maui.
Tiny little Gusties
- Amy (Buran ’01) and Brady Finnern had Averil Helen on April 28, 2007.
- Kara (Fox) and Dan Galvin had a baby girl, Luca Grace, born on March 25, 2007.
- Ann (Plaetz) Jenniges and Derrick Jenniges had a baby girl named, Addeson Therese. She was born on June 22, 2006.
- Missy (Mellema) and Trevor Johnson are parents of Lindley Elyse born on January 21, 2007.
- Courtney Metzroth LaTour and Charles LaTour ’01 had a baby girl, Clara Anne, on June 17.
- Renee (Carlson) Meyer & Jon Meyer had a baby girl on April 16, named Shea Marie.
Updates from the Hill
It’s August on campus and summer activities are winding down. This is the last week for summer camps including golf, Nordic camp and two softball camps. Next week fall sports players will be returning to campus. Soon to follow will be the Gustie Greeters and all the incoming freshmen. Classes start on September 4.
Summer Construction Update
Work on the new football stadium has progressed at a quick pace. Considerable progress has been made with most major elements of the stadium now in place. The stadium will be ready for the opening game on Saturday, September 8 when the Gusties host Willamette, OR. It’s really awesome and will be a great place for Gusties to gather! Take a daily peak at http://gustavus.edu/campusprogress/footballstadium/webcam/. Physical Plant crews are also busy constructing additional intramural and club sport fields west of the Swanson Tennis Center. These fields will replace the fields that were previously on the stadium construction site.
Athletics Hall of Fame ― Gustavus will induct new members into its Athletics Hall of Fame at a banquet on November 3. They are: Tim DeJarlais ’91, golf; John Erickson ’81, hockey; Dave Hultgren ’92, baseball; Craig Miller ’91, cross country; Mindy Mayerchak Oosten ’88, softball, soccer; Mike Schumacher ’91, football; Ann Sommerness Simms ’92, swimming; and Ryan Skanse ’92, tennis.
Dr. Mary Morton, Gustavus’ new provost and vice president for academic affairs, assumed her position on Monday, July 2. In this role as chief academic officer, she oversees academic programs and strategic planning at Gustavus.
Gusties Gather! – September 30
Gusties around the world are called to gather on Sunday, September 30. The Alumni Board is designating this day as a way for Gusties to stay connected with each other. In research among alumni, we know that Gusties already stay in contact with many alumni, and we know that Gusties have a strong interest in staying connected with other Gusties and with the College. If there is a gathering in your area, we hope you will consider attending.
Upcoming Alumni Events
- Gustavus Booth at Minnesota State Fair, Education Building, August 23-September 3
- Twin Cities Breakfasts, September 19
- Gusties Gather! – September 30
- Nobel Conference – Heating Up The Energy Debate - October 2 & 3
- Homecoming/Family Weekend – October 12-14
- A Royal Affair – Razzle Dazzle, October 27
- Athletics Hall of Fame Banquet – November 3
- Christmas in Christ Chapel – November 30-December 2
Don’t forget to register for the reunion! Log on to: gustavus.edu/alumni to register or use the enclosed form/envelope to send in your registration by October 5.
See you on October 12 & 13!