Class of 2001
Hello Fellow Gusties! Happy 2009!
This is Lana Elsenpeter Matzek writing my first class letter since appointed class agent. Hal DelaRosby needed some assistance when Cassie Carver Larson stepped down after over five years of gracious service. Thanks Cassie for your hard work and dedication.
I thought I should re-introduce myself since I have not had an opportunity to chat with some of you since we have graduated. I currently work for Traveler’s Insurance in downtown St. Paul as an account underwriter. I have worked in the insurance industry since we graduated, and yes, I am here to stay. Oh joy! All joking aside, I do like my job and so far no layoff for me on the horizon (fingers crossed). I live with my husband, Aric, our new daughter, Haley, and dog, Bella, in River Falls, WI. I really love the small community; however, I found out quickly it was a marital rite to become a Green Bay Packer fan!
One of the exciting aspects I am looking forward to as a Class Agent is participating on the reunion planning committee for our 10-year reunion. Can you believe we’re already thinking ahead to a 10-year reunion? I don’t know which is more concerning to me: a 10-year college reunion on the horizon or that most of us turn 30 this year (if you have not done so already). It’s hard to imagine; it seems like yesterday I was moving into Co-Ed and now I am starting to plan on how to fund my daughter, Haley’s, education to some day attend Gustavus and have the wonderful experiences I did!
Anyone else on Facebook? I had a lot of fun finding old friends while I was on maternity leave last fall. Our “Gustavus 2001” group now has over 100 classmates. If you happen to use Facebook as well, please join us. You can find out all the randomness we are involved in. For example, the start of the year included a video clip of Dana Menard’s interview on WCCO doling out financial advice that was just added to our Facebook group.
I wish everyone a safe and Happy New Year and I look forward to serving as your Class Agent in the coming years.
Lana Elsenpeter Matzek
2001 Co-class Agent
New Additions to the Family
- Lilly was born to Paul and Kristi (Jacobson) Hartman on June 17, 2008.
- Tessa was born to Andrew and Heidi (Friederichs) Hermel on January 3, 2008.
- Broden was born to Matthew and Jennifer (Larson) Johnson on December 18, 2007.
- Haley Elizabeth was born to Aric and Lana (Elsenpeter) Matzek on October 29, 2008.
- Lane was born to Lance and Tricia (Loo) Pettis on February 3, 2008.
- Megan Elvera was born to Todd and Julie (Bexell) Sieben on July 22, 2008.
- Jada was born to Chris and Jessi (Hunzeker) Strinmoen on September 26, 2008.
- Martin Kaduc is a director for Revenue Management Systems, Inc. in Barcelona, Spain.
- Jackie McKeown Maman works in the Department of Museum Photo Rights at the Art Institute of Chicago
- Mark Schaetzke works for Freeborn County Soil and Water Conservation District.
- Jenn Senn is a paralegal at CompuCredit Corporation.
- Michelle Hinds Spady is a speech language pathologist at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta.
- Liz Ackert finished her master’s of art in Latin American Studies at the University of California, San Diego and has started her doctorate work in sociology at the University of Washington.
- Jackie McKeown Maman completed a master’s degree in modern art history, theory and criticism, at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
- Mark Schaetzke married Amy Palmquist on September 27, 2008.
Share Your Information
The information that is contained within this newsletter has been submitted either to Gustavus or to your class agent directly for publication. If you have marriage, new addition to the family, education, career, or miscellaneous updates that you would like us to publish in our next newsletter, there are a few methods of submission. First, you can send the information to Gustavus via the web page (www.gustavus.edu) by clicking on Alumni and then “Your News,” or you can e-mail the information to email@example.com this address goes to both your class agents and to the Alumni Office so they can update their records and enter news for the Quarterly. Thirdly, you can just post mail or call your news to any one us. So, get on the web and send us your info! Our next publication is scheduled for April 2009. If you have graduated, gotten married this year, entered a new educational program, have new members of your family, made a career move, or did something else that is of interest to our class, please let us know!
Don’t forget the Gustavus Annual Fund by making a gift before May 31, 2009. Our participation is key, not necessarily the dollar amount.
Lana Elsenpeter Matzek
Haugen Named Head Football Coach
Peter Haugen was named the new head football coach in mid-December. Haugen posted an 111-44 record in 15 years at Washburn High School. He is the 17th head coach in the 93-year history of Gustavus football. Haugen started the second week of January.
President Ohle is on the road!
Please join President Ohle, his wife Kris, and other Gustavus staff at a chapter dessert reception near you. President Ohle will be visiting 11 cities around the country in the coming months and all alumni, parents, and friends of the College are invited to attend a reception. Dates are listed below or check out the Alumni website to find out more details.
Mustaphi Named Michelle Obama’s Deputy Press Secretary
Semonti Mustaphi ’03 was recently named Deputy Press Secretary for First Lady Michelle Obama. Mustaphi worked on the Obama campaign, and has also held communications positions for three senators. Mustaphi graduated with a political science and communication studies double major, danced in the Gustavus Dance Company, and was an Anderson Scholar.
Join us for the “Come on You Gustie” Breakfasts. The breakfasts are held the third Wednesday of each month at the Doubletree Hotel, Minneapolis-Park Place, 1500 Park Place Boulevard (Hwy 394 and Hwy 100). The breakfast runs from 8-9:30 and is $10 per person. Reserve a spot by calling Don Swanson ’55 at (763) 533-9083. February’s speaker will be Kris Kracht, communications; forensics head coach.
Alumni Insurance Programs
Are you in need of short-term medical insurance and between jobs? Meyers and Associates can help with temporary medical insurance as well as life insurance. For information about life and short-term medical insurance, call 800-635-7801 or visit Meyer and Associates. Want to save money on your car insurance? As a Gustavus alumnus you qualify for special group discounts through Liberty Mutual.
Want to support Gustie professionals? In need of a doctor, pastor, or financial adviser? Look in the Gustie Pages, an online database of Gusties who have submitted information about their profession. Use the Gustavus network to meet your needs, or submit your professional information if you would like other Gusties to become your customers. Go to the Gustie Pages at the alumni website, www.gustavus.edu/alumni.
Mark your calendars now for Homecoming 2009! The Gustavus football team will face off against Pacific Lutheran University on Saturday, Oct. 10. Watch for more information about tons of fun events the weekend of Oct. 9 and 10.
Music Ensemble Tours
Both the Gustavus Wind Orchestra and the Gustavus String Orchestra will be touring at the end of January and beginning of February. The Wind Orchestra will tour mainly in the Denver area, but will also make two appearances in South Dakota. The String Orchestra will travel from Stillwater through Iowa, Missouri, Tennessee, Ohio, Illinois, and Wisconsin.
Upcoming Alumni Events
- Chicago Alumni Gathering - Jan. 29, Hyatt Regency O'Hare, 7 p.m.
- 100th Anniversary of Gustavus Men's Basketball - Feb. 7
- Twin Cities Gustie Breakfast, Kris Kracht, communications; forensics head coach - Feb. 18
- Tucson Chapter Gathering - Feb. 19, Westward Look Resort
- Phoenix Chapter Gathering - Feb. 20, Millennium Resort, Scottsdale
- Los Angeles Chapter Gathering - Feb. 28, Art Director's Guild, Studio City
- Boston Chapter Gathering - Mar. 14, Hyatt Regency Cambridge
- New York Chapter Gathering - Mar. 16, New York Marriott East Side
- Twin Cities Gustie Breakfast, Ken Westphal, vice president for finance - Mar. 18
- Seattle Chapter Gathering - Mar. 21, Trinity Lutheran Church, Freeland, WA
- San Francisco Chapter Gathering - Mar. 23, Hotel Vitale
- Twin Cities Gustie Breakfast, Steve Wilkinson, retiring men's tennis coach - Apr. 15