Class of 2001
This fall I had an opportunity to visit Gustavus as a part of my role as class agent. For six years now I have returned each fall and have seen the college change bit by bit. The biggest change in the landscape on this most recent visit was the new football stadium coupled with the void behind the library where the football field once stood. In addition to the changes in the landscape, the people are changing as well. There is a process currently under way to look for a new college president and a new vice president for advancement. Also, those who know Assistant Dean of Students, Patti JP Kelly (Director of Student Activities when we were students) may be sad to know that she is planning a career change at the end of this semester and will no longer be working for Gustavus.
I want to take this opportunity to thank Cassie Carver Larson for her work these past six years as a 2001 Class Agent. Cassie and I had promised each other in the spring of 2001 that we would share this experience through our five-year reunion. Now that the reunion has passed, Cassie is taking a step back to allow someone else the opportunity to volunteer in the class agent role. Cassie, thank you so much for your time and effort in the role of class agent and especially for typing up all the updates on career moves, graduations, births, marriages, and other news these past six years. I will miss seeing you at Gustavus each fall.
Last spring I wrote about some unique encounters that I have had while wearing Gustavus apparel in airports and asked if anyone else had similar experiences. I received several responses of similar situations that we have had, but the “Distance Award” for running into a fellow Gustie goes to Jesse Retzer. Thanks for sharing Jesse! Here is the story:
“I actually met a Gustie a few months ago in the airport in Tokyo. I was traveling to Bangkok with my Dad and we had a layover in Tokyo. I was walking around the airport and ran into Tom Klint who I played baseball with at Gustavus. He was wearing his Gustavus cap and it caught my eye. He was also traveling to Thailand and we spent some time together in Bankok.”
Anyone else on Facebook? When it was first introduced to college students, Charlie Potts, Ali Ninmann, and others; college faculty and administrators were able to join as well. Now that it is open to everyone, more Gustavus alumni have begun to appear. We started a “Gustavus 2001” group on Facebook and there are currently 25 of us in the group. If you happen to use Facebook as well, please join us!
And finally, a special thank you to all of you who have donated to the Gustavus Fund this past year. Last year, 8,000 Gustavus alumni donated over $2,000,000 to the Gustavus Fund, the first time in the school’s history that we have given over two million dollars to the College. About 20% of our class continues to support Gustavus on a yearly basis with gifts ranging from $20 up to $500. During our five-year reunion, our class donated nearly $6,000 to Gustavus. (But, not to be outdone, the Class of 2002 was recognized this year, as they celebrate their five-year reunion, for donating close to $15,000 as a challenge to their classmates to be at our class in giving.) Thank you for helping to support those students who follow us at Gustavus.
2001 Class Agent
- Mary Rachel was born to Chris Deschneau and Mary Deschneau on January 23, 2007.
- Averil Helen was born to Amy Buran Finnern and Brady Finnern ’02 on April 28, 2007.
- Evelyn Hazel was born to Melissa Bateson Keltgen and Kristofer Keltgen on June 23, 2007.
- Mackenzie Ann was born to Kyle Koren and Michelle (Zaske ’02) Koren on April 29, 2007.
- Clara Anne was born to Charles LaTour and Courtney (Metzroth ’02) LaTour on June 17, 2007. (Happy Father’s Day!)
- Eva Mae was born to Ann Young Lehmkuhler and Dean Lehmkuhler on May 7, 2007.
- Alexander James was born to Carlie Thompson Sevcik and Joseph Sevcik on March 23, 2007.
- Johnathan Daniel was born to Katie Lovas Vick and Ryan Vick ’99 on April 6, 2007.
- Amelia Ann was born to Karen Heidesch Weber and Chris Weber on April 18, 2007.
- Inara Maria was born to Garret Zayic and Oana Zayic on October 27, 2005.
- Josh Abrahamson works for Americare Hospital.
- Nathan Beran has a new position with Brown County.
- Amy Dolin-Castillo is an international marketing manager for Medtronic in California.
- Victoria Czupryna is a utility account coordinator for Appliance Recycling Center of Ameria, Inc.
- Steven Davis works for Wells Fargo Home Mortgage as a business process analyst.
- Chris Deschneau works as a national account program specialist for G&K Services.
- Regan Nitz Dose works as a senior human resources generalist for Young America Corporation.
- Brad Gustin is a tour guide for Heartland Ministries in Northeast Missouri.
- Brookes Englebert is stationed in Japan as a U.S. Navy nurse.
- Amanda Erickson Feterl is an art teacher for the Sibley School District.
- Linnea Arvidson Fischer is an English teacher at Armstrong High School in Plymouth, MN.
- Mindy Rietz Fowler currently lives in England .
- Matt Iverson is a director of project management for Digital River in Aliso Viejo, CA.
- Greg Joslin is a geologist for Boliden Exploration, a Swedish mining and exploration company.
- Adam Kauffman is a Captain in the U.S. Army stationed in South Korea .
- Kristin Eklund Keeney is a Mary Kay sales director.
- Ann Young Lehmkuhler is a 1st grade teacher for Fremont County School District in Wyoming.
- Rachel Mathison is a program director for Ascension Place.
- Tricia Niebuhr is a law clerk for the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Juanita Diller Olsen works at Gustavus as a lab facilitator for the Nursing Department.
- Megan Gunderson Paredes is an assistant winemaker for Hall Wines in St. Helena, CA.
- Katharine Racine works for Beckman Coulter.
- Sarah Erickson Rheault is a 7th grade math and language arts teacher in the Ottawa, Ontario school system.
- Randee Scheffert-Onken is a web marketing specialist at James Tower.
- Anne Spence is a mental health clinician for Crossroads Counseling Services.
- Joe Thompson is an Attorney with Jenner & Block LLP.
- Lillian Zumberge is a teacher for the St. Louis Park School District.
- Amy Dolin-Castillo received an MBA from the University of Minnesota, Carlson School of Management.
- Linnea Arvidson Fischer received a master’s in education degree from St. Mary’s University.
- Jesse Hedge Hohenstein received a Ph.D. in industrial/organizational psychology from Penn State University.
- Tricia Niebuhr received a law degree from Hamline University School of Law.
- Becky Smith received a master’s in biosecurity and risk analysis from Kansas State University.
- Garret Zayic is enrolled in the creative writing literacy arts―fiction program at the University of Alaska, Anchorage.
- Katy Srnec Zeier is enrolled in the doctor of pharmacy program at the University of Iowa College of Pharmacy.
- Linnea Arvidson married Joshua Fischer on October 21, 2006.
- Amy Dolin married Miguel Castillo on May 19, 2007.
- Brent Fury married Jennifer Hagert on September 9, 2006.
- Brad Gustin married Mary Kristensen in July 2006.
- Sarah Opseth married Timothy Rowe on July 28, 2007.
Share your information
The information that is contained within this newsletter has been submitted either to Gustavus or to your class agent directly for publication. If you have marriage, birth, education, career, or miscellaneous updates that you would like us to publish in our next newsletter, there are two methods of submission. First, you can send the information to Gustavus via the web page (www.gustavus.edu) by clicking on Alumni and then “Your News,” or you can e-mail or mail the information directly to one of your class agents. So, get on the web and send us your info! Our next publication is scheduled for January 2008. If you graduated this spring, got married this summer, entered a new educational program this fall, have new members of your family, made a career move, or did something else that is of interest to our class, please let me know!
Gustavus has traditionally been ranked by U.S. News and World Report in their feature called “ America ’s Best Colleges.” If any of you see this annual ranking, for the year 2008 Gustavus was listed as “Unranked.” This is because of confusion over how Gustavus uses test scores as part of its admission process. No need to worry, Gustavus is doing well and more than 3,000 students applied for admission, admitting that they are more interested in the school’s academic excellence and reputation rather than these rankings.
Athletics Hall of Fame ― Gustavus will induct new members into its Athletics Hall of Fame at a banquet on November 3. They are: Tim DeJarlais ’91, golf; John Erickson ’81, hockey; Dave Hultgren ’92, baseball; Craig Miller ’91, cross country; Mindy Mayerchak Oosten ’88, softball, soccer; Mike Schumacher ’91, football; Ann Sommerness Simms ’92, swimming; and Ryan Skanse ’92, tennis.
Esbj! The Heart and Mind of a Professor Rev. Robert Esbjornson ’41 has collaborated with Dennis Johnson ’60 in writing a book. It’s part biography, part memoir and includes a sample of Esbj's writings. Former students of Esbj will find this a rare opportunity to revisit all the excitement of encounters and conversations with this beloved professor. Johnson and Esbjornson will be on campus during homecoming for a book signing from 10:30-12:00 in the Campus Center. After that day, the book will be available in the Book Mark. Proceeds will benefit the Esbjornson Fund within the Chapel Endowment.
Gusties Gather! – September 30
Gusties around the world are called to gather on Sunday, September 30. The Alumni Board is designating this day as a way for Gusties to stay connected with each other. In research among alumni, we know that Gusties already stay in contact with many alumni, and we know that Gusties have a strong interest in staying connected with other Gusties and with the College. If there is a gathering in your area, we hope you will consider attending.
Upcoming Alumni Events
- Gusties Gather! – September 30
- Nobel Conference – Heating Up: The Energy Debate - October 2 & 3
- Homecoming/Family Weekend – October 12-14
- A Royal Affair – Razzle Dazzle, October 27
- Athletics Hall of Fame Banquet – November 3
- Christmas in Christ Chapel – November 30-December 2