Class of 2001
5-Year Reunion― October 6 & 7, 2006
Dear Fellow Gusties!
Happy Easter from Lana Elsenpeter Matzek! I can hardly believe Easter is right around the corner, and the spring-cleaning is upon us! I have no problem, however, putting away the shovels and oiling up the lawnmower.
As you all are aware, 2006 is a special year for us; it’s our five-year class reunion! We, the committee, are very excited to see each and every one of you this fall, October 6-7th, 2006! Mark it on your calendars now! We are planning a brunch on Saturday, October 6 in the Arboretum! There is rumor the fun-filled day wraps up at Patrick’s! You definitely will not want to miss out!
In honor of our five-year class reunion, please consider graciously supporting Gustavus! The Class of 2001 has a goal: for everyone to donate $20.01 in honor of our class year. Your donations are critical to the success of Gustavus. Each year, tuition from students only covers about 80% of what it takes to educate a student. The rest of the money needs to come from a variety of other places, including the Alumni Fund. The Alumni Fund also helps pay for financial aid, which is so important given the rising cost of tuition. For those who don’t currently contribute, please reconsider, as your nominal donations today can make it possible for someone else to enjoy four terrific years at Gustavus just like you did.
It is not important how much you give, it’s that you give and give each year between June and May (Gustavus’ fiscal year). Major corporations and foundations look at annual alumni participation when making decisions to give grant monies to Gustavus, so your contribution will absolutely make a difference. Even $5 a year will help, so when someone phones you during Phonorama, please consider giving. If you wish to make a donation and weren’t contacted during Phonorama, you may give online at: gustavus.edu, or call 800-487-3863. Remember, we are more interested in the number of donors versus the amount donated, so anything you can give is appreciated.
Happy Easter! See you in October!
Lana Elsenpeter Matzek
2001 Reunion Committee Member
- Chad Gustafson is a first assistant golf professional at White Bear Yacht Club.
- Stacie Rogers is a registered nurse in cardiothoracic surgery at Abbott Northwestern Hospital.
- Christian White is a pilot for Skyway Airlines.
- Brian Thatcher is an officer and legal advisor for the Phoenix Police Department.
- Erin Dana is a transfer advisor at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, WA.
- Andrew Kestly is a graduate student and is working on his MBA.
- Brian Thatcher graduated from William Mitchell College of Law and Arizona Law Enforcement Academy. He also passed the Arizona State Bar exam.
- Jacy Bowen Shrestha is pursuing her school counseling degree at St. Cloud State University.
- Jacy Bowen married Sarad Shrestha on April 29, 2004.
The Alumni Board met on campus in February and made the final selection for the Alumni Awards:
Greater Gustavus Award:
- Gustavus Library Associates, for providing financial resources for Folke Bernadotte Library, and engaging and introducing alumni and friends in the mission of the College.
Distinguished Alumni Citations:
- Karen Bossart Rusthoven ’66, St. Paul, MN, founder and principal of Community of Peace Academy, St. Paul;
- Susan Semple-Rowland ’77, Gainesville, FL, professor of neuroscience, University of Florida and director, Neuroscience IDP Graduate Program; and
- Magnus Ranstorp ’85, St. Andrews, Scotland, chief scientist at the Centre for Asymmetric Threat Studies, Swedish National Defense College; and a Senior Honorary Research Associate and former Director of Centre for the Study of Terrorism and Political Violence at the University of St. Andrews, Scotland.
First Decade Awards:
- Rebecca Konrad ’96, Washington, DC, investment officer, global transaction team, The World Bank International Finance Corporation; and
- Milo Martin ’96, Philadelphia, PA, assistant professor, Department of Computer and Information Sciences, University of Pennsylvania.
The awards will be presented on Commencement Weekend or Homecoming Weekend depending on the recipient’s schedule.
Gustavus Alumni Directory
The 2006 Gustavus Alumni Directory will be published soon and our goal is to represent your information as accurately as possible in the printed edition. PCI: the data company, is publishing our directory and a short phone call will update or verify your information. Call toll free: 1-800-982-1589, Monday-Saturday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. CST, and Sunday, 11:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. CST. International callers dial: 1-972-386-0100, Monday-Friday CST.
Short Term Medical (STM) insurance Available
Short Term Medical Insurance can fill the temporary needs of those without health insurance, usually at a lower cost than other alternatives. Alumni and their families may apply. This is perfect for children of alumni who are graduating (even if they did not attend Gustavus) and aren’t yet covered under an employer’s health plan. Contact the program administrator at Meyer and Associates at: 800-635-7801 or www.meyerandassoc.com about this and other sponsored life, medical, auto and homeowners insurance.
Gusties In Volunteer Endeavors (G.I.V.E.)
Gusties love to serve while they are students and after they graduate. Gusties In Volunteer Endeavors (G.I.V.E.), the annual day of community service, will focus in the Twin Cities’ Phillips Neighborhood. This 1.6 square mile section of Minneapolis has 3,100 families, and 31 percent of those families live below the poverty level. This neighborhood also is home to the American Swedish Institute. Come out to help make the community a little better. To learn more about G.I.V.E. Day and to register, go to gustavus.edu/alumni.
MAYDAY! Peace Conference: "AIDS + Africa, the Unfolding Crisis"
The 26th annual MAYDAY! Peace Conference will be held on Wednesday, April 19. This year's topic is AIDS in Africa. The conference will feature a keynote address by Robert Gallo, co-discoverer of the HIV virus, and Marjorie Mbilinyi, social activist and professor in Tanzania. The AIDS Memorial Quilt will also be on campus for viewing. Robert Gallo is spending time on campus during March and April sponsored by the Robert E. and Susan T. Rydell Distinguished Professorship, a residency program for Nobel Laureates and similarly distinguished scholars. For more information, go to gustavus.edu/events/mayday/.
Gusties around the world are called to gather on Sunday, August 6! The Alumni Board is designating this day as a way for Gusties to stay connected with each other. In research among alumni, we know that Gusties already stay in contact with many alumni, and we know that Gusties have a strong interest in staying connected with other Gusties and with the College. Ever think you want to do more to be connected with Gustavus? Now is your chance, signup to host a Gusties Gather! event. Complete event checklist, host kit, and details will be provided. Sign-up via e-mail at <firstname.lastname@example.org> or call 800/487-8437.
Upcoming Alumni Events
- MAYDAY! Peace Conference on AIDS – April 19
- Gustavus Association of Congregations Meeting, keynote address, "Discipleship in Today's World: Religion and Ecology," by Larry Rasmussen – April 22
- Gusties In Volunteer Endeavors (G.I.V.E.) Day of Community Service in Minneapolis – April 29
- Gustavus Library Associates Author Day with Robert Alexander – May 3
- Reunion for Class of 1956 and 50-Year Club – May 26-27
- Commencement – May 28
- Gusties Gather! – August 6
- Reunions for the classes of 1961, 1966, 1971, 1976, 1981, 1986, 1991, 1996, 2001 – October 6-8