Class of 2001
5-Year Reunion ― October 6 & 7, 2006
Spring greetings from Molly Grisham Altorfer and Cassie Carver Larson! If you’re anything like us, you can’t wait for the snow to melt, the ice to thaw and the grass to green―so you can be outside. We are desperate for some fresh air and sunshine, and for the chance to join friends and family for an outdoor BBQ or a game of tennis or golf.
And we know that each day it gets warmer―it also moves us closer to our Class of 2001 reunion on Friday and Saturday, October 6-7, 2006. The Class of 2001 will be hosting a Saturday brunch in the Arboretum (look for more details soon!).
If you haven’t been contacted by one of the 2001 Reunion Committee Members, you will be soon. (The Committee Members are: Molly Grisham Altorfer, Maggie Happe Crowe, Hal DeLaRosby, Lana Elsenpeter Matzek, Erin Larson Heilman, David Kogler, Rachel Mathison, Charlie Potts, Cassie Carver Larson, Rachael Ramy, and Karena Erickson Rydland).
For our jobs with non-profit organizations (we are both directors of communications), we are always urging members and constituents to consider supporting the work and mission of our agencies. Most times we seek to accomplish this goal through fancy language intended to elicit an emotional response from a person, resulting in them offering their time, talent or resources. No matter what the organization―whether it’s a corporate business; a non-profit agency or Gustavus―support is necessary to ensure its strength and existence.
We find that this letter is different than most we’ve written because we have all shared a similar experience: Gustavus. Please consider generously supporting the College during our Class reunion year. The Class of 2001 has a goal: for everyone to donate $20.01 in honor of our class year. If you had a spectacular and memorable Gustavus experience, we hope you will consider donating so that future Gusties can enjoy a quality education and benefit from building amazing friendships!
Happy Spring – and we hope to see you October 6-7.
Molly & Cassie
2001 Reunion Committee Members
- Elaina Mary to Jennifer Larson Johnson and Matt Johnson on May 3, 2005.
- Jaxon Christopher to Jessi Hunzeker Strinmoen and Chris Strinmoen on January 12, 2006.
- Logan Nathaniel to Kelly Devine McGeary and Tim McGeary on October 3, 2005.
- Regan Grace to Sarah Jackson Ashbach and Chris Ashbach on November 11, 2005.
- Vayda Jane was born to Vanessa Linder Foy and Steve Foy on December 25, 2005.
- Eric Boline is a personal banker with Wells Fargo Bank.
- Nicole Chrissotimos Devereaux is a mentor and office manager at Hope Community Church in Minneapolis and a company dancer in the “Cities.”
- Brookes Englebert is a nurse with the United States Navy.
- Drew Gehler is in the Air Force stationed in Georgia, preparing for his second trip to Iraq.
- Kristy Martin is a cultural program associate at the Denver Public Library in Denver, CO.
- Guy Mattson is an arbitrations manager with Hoglund Law Firm.
- Jackie Moen Miller is a subrogation analyst with United Health Group.
- Lisa Hervey Miller is an art teacher at Brookwood Junior High in Glenwood, IL.
- Matthew Miller is a police officer with the Corcoran Police Department.
- Rachel Barnitz Nagy is a college minister, church music director and teacher assistant in Tonkawa, Oklahoma.
- Amy Skibsted Oliver is a 5th grade teacher at Riverview Elementary.
- Laura Graen Rapacz is an actuary with St. Paul Travelers.
- Andy Saunders is a paraprofessional at Pinewood Elementary.
- Jana Schnell is an associate editor at Marketwire.
- Christopher Schwartz works at Target Corporation.
- Dave Selmer is an attorney for the city of Chicago, IL.
- Jessi Hunzeker Strinmoen is the director of services for Youth Intervention Programs Association.
- Christian White is a pilot for Sykway Airlines in Milwaukee, WI.
- Liz Ackert is pursuing a master’s degree in Iberian and Latin American Studies.
- Kelly Bangstad graduated from Indiana University with a Ph.D. in communications studies.
- Neal Boeder is a medical student at the University of Minnesota.
- Grace Carlson is pursuing a master’s degree in Spanish at the University of Wisconsin.
- Vanessa Linder Foy graduated from the University of Minnesota’s Carlson School of Management with a master’s of business administration.
- Kelly Martin graduated from the University of St. Thomas with a master’s degree in education.
- Amy Skibsted Oliver completed a master’s degree in education from Hamline University.
- Sarah Opseth is pursuing a degree in radiology from the College of St. Catherine.
- Dave Selmer graduated from the University of Minnesota Law School.
- Jon Tomlinson is in a medical residency-training program at the University of Maryland Medical Center.
- Rachel Barnitz married Rev. Kevin E. Nagy on July 30, 3005.
- Brady Brau married Katherine Madrinich on September 10, 2005.
- Laura Graen married Ryan Rapacz on November 12, 2005.
- Megan Gunderson married Juan Paredes on November 19, 2005.
- Shannon Hogan married Paul Gorman on October 22, 2005.
- Karl Kolden married Rosemary Beson on May 7, 2005.
- Lyndsay Larson married Jason Howard on February 12, 2006.
- Amy Skibsted married Aunudrei Oliver on August 20, 2005.
The Alumni Board met on campus in February and made the final selection for the Alumni Awards:
Greater Gustavus Award:
- Gustavus Library Associates, for providing financial resources for Folke Bernadotte Library, and engaging and introducing alumni and friends in the mission of the College.
Distinguished Alumni Citations:
- Karen Bossart Rusthoven ’66, St. Paul, MN, founder and principal of Community of Peace Academy, St. Paul;
- Susan Semple-Rowland ’77, Gainesville, FL, professor of neuroscience, University of Florida and director, Neuroscience IDP Graduate Program; and
- Magnus Ranstorp ’85, St. Andrews, Scotland, chief scientist at the Centre for Asymmetric Threat Studies, Swedish National Defense College; and a Senior Honorary Research Associate and former Director of Centre for the Study of Terrorism and Political Violence at the University of St. Andrews, Scotland.
First Decade Awards:
- Rebecca Konrad ’96, Washington, DC, investment officer, global transaction team, The World Bank International Finance Corporation; and
- Milo Martin ’96, Philadelphia, PA, assistant professor, Department of Computer and Information Sciences, University of Pennsylvania.
The awards will be presented on Commencement Weekend or Homecoming Weekend depending on the recipient’s schedule.
Show your Gustavus pride every time your write a check. You can now order checks with Old Main, Three Crowns, or the Gustavus football helmet at: www.mycollegechecks.com.
Gusties Helping Hurricane Victims
A group of 23 students spent three weeks during January in Mississippi aiding in the clean-up and rebuilding efforts of a town hit hard by Hurricane Katrina. The group was student-led and sponsored by Men’s Christian Fellowship at Gustavus and coordinated through Lutheran Disaster Response. While there the students provided many services, including clearing houses to the bare structure, rebuilding homes, working in kitchens, distributing supplies, and working in pastoral care, child care, and medical clinics. The group was housed and fed in a “tent city” on the grounds of Christus Victor Lutheran Church. This was one of the several vocation month experiences from which Gustavus students had the opportunity to choose.
Nordic Ski Team senior Erich Ziegler had a first-place finish among collegiate skiers in the15K freestyle at the NorAm SuperTour stop at Telemark Resort in Cable, Wisconsin. Ziegler’s win was the first by a Gustavus skier in an NCAA/CCSA qualifier. Men’s hockey continues to win, with a 7-1 record in the MIAC. Men's swimming is 7-0 on the season and recently set two Lund Center pool record times. Brad Hanson ’08 was victorious in the 1000 freestyle in a pool-record time of 9:51.46, and Matt Stewart ’09 posted a pool-record time of 1:44.49 to win the 200-freestyle.
Upcoming Alumni Events
- Gustavus Library Associates’ “Breakfast with the Easter Bunny” at Mt. Olivet Lutheran Church in Minneapolis — March 25
- MAYDAY! Peace Conference on AIDS — April 19
- Gustavus Association of Congregations Meeting — April 22
- Gusties In Volunteer Endeavors (G.I.V.E.) Day of Community Service in Minneapolis — April 29