Class of 2001
5-Year Reunion ― October 6 & 7, 2006
Time to toss the old 2005 planners and crack open the shiny new 2006 calendars. I hope you all are having a Happy New Year! It’s 2006―five years since we were Gustavus students. Time certainly flies…
I’m excited to be a part of the Class of 2001 Reunion Committee. It’s a passionate, dedicated and fun group of people representing you all in the planning of our big reunion being held October 6-7, 2006. Let us know if you have any ideas for activities! (Committee members are Molly Grisham Altorfer, Josh Batalden, Maggie Happe Crowe, Lana Elsenpeter Matzek, Erin Larson Heilman, David Kogler, Rachel Mathison, Tony Narr, Cassie Carver Larson, Hal DeLaRosby, Rachael Ramy, Karena Erickson Rydland and me).
I’ve had the opportunity during the last two years to infiltrate enemy lines while working at St. Olaf College in Northfield. Some may see it as betraying my roots; I simply see it as a chance to enlighten others about what a great place Gustavus is. While it’s too late to convert any of the Ole students with whom I work, discussing my education and experiences at Gustavus has given me the chance to reflect on the tremendous opportunities I had in my four years on the hill in St. Peter. Working closely with constituents at other institutions in Minnesota has helped me realize the impact Gustavus has had on me and how cool it is to show my Gustie pride every chance I get!
In order to help new and future Gusties have the same experiences we had, please consider contributing to the College. (Yes, here’s the pitch…) Giving back to Gustavus is vital to the future of the institution. Our contributions―even very small contributions―mean more and better opportunities for fellow Gusties. Please consider giving this year. Since most of us have yet to make our millions, the Class of 2001 Reunion Committee set a goal of increasing class participation. We aren’t shooting for tons of cash just yet, simply your participation. You can even do it online now! Check out: http://gustavus.edu/giving/ for more info.
If you haven’t heard from one of the Class of 2001 Reunion Committee members yet, you likely will very soon.
Here’s to a happy and healthy 2006. Hope to see you all in October!
2001 Guest Letter Writer
Now for some CLASS NEWS:
- Leah Stafki Greavu is a sales coordinator for Maharam in Los Angeles, CA. Her husband, Chris Greavu ’02 is a sales representative for 3M.
- Brittany Meyer McFadden is a program director at the Association for Nonsmokers-Minnesota.
- Lisa Hervey Miller is an art teacher at Brookwood Junior High in Glenwood, IL.
- Emily Trnka is a teacher in the Princeton, MN public school district.
- Christian “Kicker” White is a pilot for Skyway Airlines in Milwaukee, WI.
- Jacob Zdon works as an intern with the Minnesota Department of Health.
- Liz Ackert, San Diego, CA, is pursuing an M.A. in Iberian and Latin American Studies.
- Kelly Bangstad is pursuing a doctorate in communications at Indiana University – Bloomington.
- Neal Boeder, St. Paul, is in his third year at the University of Minnesota Medical School.
- Meg Dimpfel, Seattle, WA is a graduate student in occupational therapy at the University of Washington.
- Nicole Draeger, Minneapolis, is a QA analyst at Dexma, Inc. in Edina.
- Josh “J.R.” Roever is pursuing a law degree at Marquette University.
- Jamie Brekke Sheldon completed an M.A. in education at St. Mary’s University in September 2005.
- Julie Bexell Sieben completed an M.A. in education at St. Mary’s University in November 2005.
- Jennifer Sickmann works at Target Corp. and is pursuing an MBA at the Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota.
- Neal Boeder married Kim Lutz ’03 in August 2005.
- Jamie Brekke married Eric Sheldon on August 13, 2005.
- Sheila Marie Gilbert married Andrew Ratcliffe on October 21, 2005.
- Lisa Hervey married Pieter Miller in July 2005.
- Karl Kolden married Rosemary Lynn Beson on May 7, 2005.
- Allison Maas married Kyle MacArthur on October 1, 2005.
- Angela Reinhart married Josh Salzman in October 2004.
- Mary Vogen married Chad Roswick on October 1, 2005.
- Megan Shorma married Scott Arnold on August 13, 2005.
- Leah Stafki married Chris Greavu on September 3, 2005.
Isabella was born to Paige Stensberg Lathrop and Dan Lathrop on November 4, 2005.
Study Abroad Leader
Gustavus continues to be a leading institution for the number of students studying abroad, according to an annual ranking recently released by the Institute of International Education (IIE). Consistent with its mission of giving students an education that is international in perspective, Gustavus was ranked seventh in the "Top 20 Baccalaureate Institutions" list of the institute’s "Open Doors 2005" report. Gustavus was one of four Minnesota private colleges to make the list of 20. The report was based on study abroad statistics from the 2003-04 academic year. Gustavus students engage in international learning through various programs in more than 100 locations throughout the world, ranging from Australia to India and Ecuador to Sweden. In recent years, 50 percent of Gustavus graduates have participated in at least one study-abroad experience.
New Carnegie Classification for Colleges and Universities
The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching released a new classification system for institutions of higher education. Gustavus’ classification is Arts & Sciences plus Professions, indicating that 60 to 80 percent of Gustavus students complete a traditional liberal arts major, such as political science, classics, or biology. The new classifications describe five aspects of colleges and universities: instructional programs, enrollment profile, undergraduate demographics, size, and setting. Undergraduate instructional programs are now designated as Arts & Sciences Focus, Arts & Sciences plus Professions, Balanced Arts & Sciences and Professions, Professions plus Arts & Sciences, or Professions Focus.
The Alumni Association, in partnership with Meyer and Associates and Liberty Mutual, offers an insurance program to alumni and their families. Products include insurance policies for life, short-term medical, auto, home, and renters. For life and short-term medical insurance call Meyer and Associates at 800-635-7801 or visit www.meyerandassoc.com. For auto, home, and renters insurance call Liberty Mutual at 800-524-9400 or visit www.libertymutual.com/lm/gustavus.
Gustavus to Perform at Orchestra Hall
The Gustavus Music Showcase will be Sunday, March 12, at Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis. The Gustavus Choir, Gustavus Symphony Orchestra, and Gustavus Wind Orchestra will perform. This is a unique opportunity to hear three premier ensembles from Gustavus in one concert. This showcase also allows prospective students, parents, and alumni from the area to meet and connect. For tickets, call the Orchestra Hall box office at 800/292-4141. Tickets are $20 for general admission, and $10 for students 18 and under.
Two big stories from the fall sports are that Hailey Harren won the national NCAA Division III cross country title and the men’s soccer team became the first MIAC school to play in the national championship game and finished second, losing 1-0 to defending national champion Messiah. For the second consecutive year, men's soccer coach Larry Zelenz has been named Coach of the Year in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America/Adidas NCAA Division III West Region. The men's hockey team is unbeaten in conference play, outscoring their opponents 28-5 in four games.
Upcoming Music Tours
This year nearly 300 students will participate in music tours as members of the Gustavus Wind Orchestra, Gustavus Choir, Gustavus Symphony Orchestra, Gustavus Jazz Lab Band, and Choir of Christ Chapel. The Gustavus Wind Orchestra will tour Eastern Europe Jan. 14-30. Performances are scheduled for Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, and Austria. The Gustavus Choir will tour Jan. 27-Feb. 11 (see schedule below), with performances in Minnesota and Wisconsin. The Gustavus Symphony Orchestra, Gustavus Jazz Lab Band, and Choir of Christ Chapel will tour during Spring Semester.
Gustavus Choir Tour Schedule
- January 27 at Augustana Lutheran Church, West St. Paul, 7:30 p.m.
- January 28 at St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Grand Rapids, 7:30 p.m.
- January 29 at Zion Lutheran Church, Grand Rapids, 8:30 a.m. morning service
- January 29 at Concordia Lutheran Church, Duluth, 3 p.m.
- January 30 at Bemidji High School Auditorium, Bemidji, 7 p.m.
- January 31 at First Lutheran Church, Morris, 7 p.m.
- February 2 at Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church, Marshfield, WI, 7:30 p.m.
- February 3 at St. Francis Catholic Church, Brainerd, 7:30 p.m.
- February 4 at Central Lutheran Church, Winona, 7 p.m.
- February 5 at Faith Lutheran Church, Winona, 8 a.m. morning service
- February 5 at First Lutheran Church, Red Wing, 2 p.m.
- February 11 at Christ Chapel, Saint Peter, 7:30 p.m.
Upcoming Alumni Events
- Tucson, AZ Gustie Gathering - February 10
- Phoenix, AZ Gustie Gathering - February 11
- Sun City, AZ Gustie Gathering - February 12
- Gustavus Music Showcase at Orchestra Hall - March 12
- Atlanta, GA Gustie Gathering - March 26