Class of 2001
MESSAGE FROM YOUR CLASS AGENTS
Greetings from your class agents! Happy New Year to all!
Thank you to all of you who have sent comments and suggestions as to how to improve the class letter. We will continue to consider any new ideas you wish to share with us. Feel free to e-mail or write us!
J-Term is currently in full swing at Gustavus. Unfortunately for us, gone are the days of month long trips to foreign destinations or the two-hour classes on campus mixed in with intramurals, lounging, or "reading for pleasure." Except for those of us in graduate school or teaching, the holiday break suddenly became a lot shorter for most of us.
We have been approached about the possibility of starting a web page for the Class of 2001 that could be accessed through the Gustavus home page. If anyone has suggestions as to what they would like to see for a class home page, please contact one of us.
Best wishes for all that is to come this year!
Cassie and Hal
- Jillian Deuel married Karl Anderson on July 17, 1999.
- Leslie Bachman married Bryan "Mookie" McWhite ’00 on November 3, 2001.
- Chris Deschneau married Elizabeth Otto on August 18, 2001.
- Juanita Diller married Joseph Olsen on August 11, 2001.
- Ryan Gustafson married Kristin Knopick ’00 on September 15, 2001.
- Erika Houtz married Skip Mennerick on July 21, 2001.
- Bridget Hundt married Dean Smith on July 28, 2001.
- Jessica Hunzeker married Chris Strinmoen on September 29, 2001.
- Katie Lovas married Ryan Vick ’99 on June 30, 2001.
- Jessica Martin married Matthew Johnson on September 8, 2001.
- Ferial Mohamed married Daniel Pearson on November 24, 2000.
- Regan Nitz married Bradley Dose on July 28, 2001.
- Emily Orling married Casey Quinn on July 24, 2001.
- Mandy Ortenblad married Aaron Larson on July 28, 2001.
- Dana Prehn married Daryl Hoof ’99 on August 25, 2001.
- Jodie Priebe married Isaac Thompson on August 18, 2001.
- Kate Stelck married Reggie Klindworth ’98 on August 4, 2001.
- Lisa Veenhuis married Jesse Schoen ’98 on July 20, 2001.
- Sarah Wahlund married Trent Nielson on October 27, 2001.
Did we miss your wedding? Let us know! See last page for details.
- Timothy Andeen is studying Physics at Northwestern University.
- David Anderson is studying physics at the College of William and Mary.
- Adam Bell is attending the University of St. Thomas School of Law.
- Eric Boline is attending graduate school at the University of Minnesota – Rochester campus.
- Mitchell Brinks is studying to be a resource analyst at St. Mary’s University.
- Lindsay Carlson is attending UCLA School of Law.
- Matt Cunningham is studying electrical engineering at the University of Minnesota.
- Michael Deschneau is studying sports administration at South Dakota State University.
- Annie Dokken is studying school counseling at the University of Wisconsin – River Falls.
- Wesley Duke is attending culinary school in Italy.
- Angela Erickson is studying Spanish/linguistics at San Diego State University.
- Sarah Fredericks is in the science, philosophy, and religion program at Boston University.
- Mary Grams is attending the University of Minnesota Law School.
- Jonathan Gray is studying history at the University of Mississippi.
- Jason Haaheim is studying electrical engineering at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
- Nate Heintzman is studying biomedical sciences at the University of California, San Diego.
- Erika Houtz Mennerick is studying chiropractic medicine at National University of Health Sciences.
- Elise Kahl is studying speech communication at Penn State University.
- Andrew Kopperud is attending University of Minnesota Duluth School of Medicine.
- Dawn Krabbenhoft is attending the University of Minnesota Medical School.
- Paula Lorfeld is attending Marquette University Law School.
- Amanda Martin is attending the University of Minnesota Law School.
- David Oachs is studying mechanical engineering at the University of Minnesota.
- Jon Oleson is studying public administration at Minnesota State, Mankato.
- Tessa Peterson is attending Iowa State University School of Veterinary Medicine.
- David Savage is studying biophysics at the University of California.
- Jessica Schultz is studying clinical psychology at Minnesota State, Mankato.
- Dehlia Seim is attending William Mitchell College of Law.
- Corrie Segerstrom is attending Towson University.
- David Selmer is attending the University of Minnesota Law School.
- Yong Soo Hoo is studying chemistry at SUNY at Stony Brook.
- Brian Stavenger is studying business at University of Mary, Bismarck, ND.
- Susan Sultveldt is studying biomechanics at Arizona State University.
- Brian Thatcher is attending William Mitchell College of Law.
- Amanda Thompson is studying histotechnology at the Medical Institute of Minnesota.
- Joe Thompson is attending Stanford Law School.
- Sheri Thonstad is attending Gonzaga University Law School in Spokane, WA.
- Jacob Thorius is studying civil and construction engineering at Iowa State University.
- Jessica Wagner is attending the Medical College of Wisconsin.
- Timothy Wheatley is attending Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago.
- Christian White is studying to fly for commercial airlines at the Airline Academy.
- Emily Ziemer is attending the University of Maryland Law School.
- Emily Allen is a compensation analyst at Fingerhut.
- Jillian Deuel Anderson is student teaching in Minnetonka, MN.
- Linnea Arvidson is student teaching at Valley View Middle School in Edina.
- Leslie Bachman McWhite is a recruitment associate for Youthworks! Inc.
- Katie Becker is a selling manager for Target Corporation/Marshall Fields.
- Adam Beers is a product service specialist for Medtronic, Inc.
- Julie Bexell teaches third grade in Cannon Falls, MN.
- Joel Beyer is a district manager for Vector Marketing.
- Jacy Bowen is an Americorps Volunteer at Redwood Community Action Agency Straight-up in Eureka, CA.
- Erin Cederlind is a salesperson at Medley Music Corporation.
- Matt Cunningham is a hardware engineer at Minnetronics.
- Erin Dana is an office manager for Freedom Social Party/Radical Women.
- Abby DeHoop is an assistant fundraising coordinator and scheduler for Coleman for Senate Campaign.
- Chris Deschneau is a support analyst at G&K Services.
- Michelle Dillavou is an account executive assistant at KATZ Media Group.
- Meg Dimpfel is a social work associate at Bailey-Boushay House.
- Megan Dobratz is an office manager at Youthworks! Inc.
- Amy Dolin works for Miller Meester Public Relations.
- Andrew Duddleston is a trucker.
- Justin Elder is an assistant project manager for Elder-Jones, Inc.
- Matthew Elfstrom is a teacher at Romig Middle School.
- Natalie Else is a paralegal for Arthur, Chapman, Kettering, Smetak & Pikala, P.A.
- Amanda Erickson is student teaching in Chaska, MN.
- Sarah Fisher is working for Elder-Jones Construction Co.
- Julie Fossel is an RN at Swedish Medical Center.
- Scott Frederick is an associate programmer for The St. Paul Companies.
- Meg Gisiger is a Spanish teacher at Redeemer Lutheran School.
- Anne Goldschadt is a mental health counselor at Fellowship Health Resources in Arlington, VA.
- Laura Graen is an associate programmer at The St. Paul Companies.
- Molly Grisham is a communications assistant at Jewish Community Relations Council.
- Michael Henderson works for the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.
- Kyle Hicok is an associate consultant at Stockamp and Associates.
- Lynn Hoffman is a naturalist at Dodge Nature Center.
- Shannon Hogan is a staff accountant at Carlson Companies.
- Jessi Hunzeker Strinmoen is a field organizer at Target Market.
- Sarah Jackson is a product manager of Online Services at Beacon Bank.
- Naomi Jenson is working for Natural Resource Group, Inc.
- Heidi Johnson is an Americorps Volunteer at HOME Line Americorp Vista.
- Raegan Johnson is working for Honeywell, Inc.
- Kristin Kimball is an assistant accountant at KPMG LLP.
- Rebecca Knudsen is a mentor coordinator at Lutheran Social Services.
- Tom Lagerback is working in the information technology department at Minnesota Life Insurance.
- Erin Larson teaches second grade at Pearson Elementary in Shakopee, MN.
- Sara Larson is an ABAS Associate at Price Waterhouse Coopers LLP.
- Corene Laue is an RN at United Hospital.
- Katie Lovas Vick teaches first grade in Cold Spring, MN.
- Lisa Marquardt is an athletic trainer at Premier Physical Therapy and Centennial High School.
- Kristin Martin works in marketing at Brannity, Inc.
- Sarah Miller teaches special education for the Edina Public School System.
- Ferial Mohamed Pearson is teaching English at South High School in Omaha, NE.
- Evan Molde is an intern at Welsh Co.
- Maggie Moss is a business analyst at Target Corporation.
- Elizabeth Muske is a sales coordinator at United States Compliance Corporation.
- Molly Nemes is an IT/Sales Specialist at ION Technologies.
- Regan Nitz Dose is human resources staffing assistant at Young America Corp.
- Sarah O'Donnell is the tournament and volunteer coordinator with the Allianz Championship, a Senior
- PGA Tour event in Des Moines, IA.
- Mandy Ortenblad Larson is a direct care counselor/educator at NRI, New England Aquarium.
- Rachel Perry Cafferty is a sixth grade teacher at Friendly Hills Middle School.
- Jaime Peterson is a therapeutic specialist at Augustana Home of Minneapolis.
- Charlie Potts is the assistant to the Dean of Students at Gustavus.
- Kenneth Pritchard is working at Nation Wide Fixtures.
- Casey Quinn is an interactive producer at Olson & Co. Advertising.
- Jesse Retzer is a loan officer at CitiFinancial.
- Jed Rohlf is a financial planner at Woodbury Financial.
- Josh Salzman is a personal trainer at Lifetime Fitness and an athletic trainer at Champlin Park High School.
- Randee Scheffert is a marketing coordinator at Taylor Corporation.
- Jennifer Senn is an administrative assistant at Mount Olivet Lutheran Church.
- Jennifer Sickmann is a corporate auditor at The St. Paul Companies.
- Kate Stelck Klindworth is an RN at Providence Everett Medical Center.
- Paige Stensberg is student teaching in Shakopee, MN.
- John Stenson is teaching English in Iksan Cith, South Korea.
- Jennifer Thissen is teaching English in Hungary.
- Owen Thoele is an environmental specialist at Nova Consulting.
- Emily Trnka is a fifth grade teacher at Willmar Public School.
- Lisa Veenhuis Schoen is student teaching in Apple Valley and Eagan.
- Sarah Wahlund Nielson is a patient account representative at Mankato Clinic.
- Jennifer Wetherbee is a music specialist at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic School.
- Edward Woolford is an account manager for Bank of America.
- Robyn Wyatt works at Firstar Bank.
- Ann Young teaches fifth grade at Montevideo Middle School.
- Laura Yudt is a research assistant at the National Institutes of Health.
- Jacob Zdon is a Peace Corp volunteer in Honduras.
In February, the Alumni Association will be introducing Hello Walk, a place where Gusties meet for anything from small talk, to debate, to caring conversations. “Hello Walk” at Gustavus is the sidewalk running from Uhler Hall on the north side of the campus past the front of Old Main to Pittman Hall on the south side, which for decades of Gusties was the main “artery” and gathering point on campus. Even though the campus landscape has changed, the spirit of Hello Walk continues with you joining the conversation on the virtual Hello Walk on the Gustavus Internet home page. Look for the opening in February.
The Gustavus Band will embark on an international tour this J-Term. The band is touring Sweden and Norway, presenting “Music from America.” The tour dates are January 16 through February 10. The tour concludes with a homecoming performance at 4 p.m., Feb. 10 in Christ Chapel. The Gustavus Choir is busy preparing for their tour of the Midwest during Touring Week in February.
Winter athletics are in full swing! Gustie teams are off to a great start. The men’s basketball team leads the MIAC with a conference record of 10-2, 15-2 overall. They are also ranked in the top ten in the nation in the NCAA Division III men’s basketball ranking. The women’s hockey team also posts an outstanding record. They are currently 10-0-0 in the MIAC and ranked fourth in the U.S. College Women’s Hockey online poll. For more sports information and to listen to Gustie games broadcast online, go to gustavus.edu/ stuservices/Athletics/
For information go to the Gustavus College Calendar at http://gustavus.edu/news/ calendar/calendar.cfm
E-Mail Address Updates
If you change e-mail addresses, please inform the Alumni Office of the change at our home page at http://gustavus.edu/alumni/ email_search/add_update.cfm
Come on you Gusties,
fight on fight on.
Shout out the battle cry of victory!
Come on you Gusties,
fight to the end.
Fight on for deal old G.A.C.
Gusties will shine tonight,
Gusties will shine.
Gusties will shine tonight,
Gusties will shine.
Gusties will shine tonight,
Gusties will shine.
Beat 'em, bust 'em, that's our custom.
Gusties will shine!
Text Box: Dear President Steuer- Here is my contribution to The Gustavus Fund. By the way, I would just like to say... Signed, _________________________________________ Class of 2001
CLASS OF 2001 GIVING
The Office of the Gustavus Fund lists our class among the "young alumni groups," or any class that is ten years or less out from graduation. The challenge is to see which of the ten classes can have the most people donate to the Gustavus Fund. It does not matter how much. Participation is what counts!
Our goal is to have as many people as possible donate $12 to the Gustavus Fund. Why $12? Well, if you think of it over the course of the year, that is only a dollar a month. That's right, for as little as one dollar a month you can give back to your alma mater that has given you so much.
Clip out the posting on this page and send it with your twelve-dollar check to the following address:
Office of the Gustavus Fund
Gustavus Adolphus College
800 West College Avenue
Saint Peter, MN 56082
or give on-line at: gustavus.edu/giving
All postings will be plastered on President Steuer's office door. If you have already made a gift, please send in the posting to the above address. Go class of 2001!
PRESIDENT STEUER RESIGNS
Axel Steuer, announced he would resign as president of the College at the end of the current academic year. Steuer's tenure will be noted by marked advances in the College's national academic standing. President Steuer also led the institution through a major rebuilding process that was required after a devastating 1998 tornado that resulted in over $60 million in damage to the campus.
SHARE YOUR INFO
The information that is contained within this newsletter has been submitted either to Gustavus or to one of us directly for publication. If you have marriage, birth, education, career, or miscellaneous updates that you’d like us to publish in our next newsletter there are two methods of submission. First, you can mail, call or send the information to Gustavus via the web page (gustavus.edu) by clicking on Alumni and then Your News, or you can email or mail the information directly to one of your class agents. So, get on the web and send us your info!
Cassie Carver3517 Federal Dr. #202Eagan, MN 55122
1-323 Lamoine Village
Macomb, IL 61455