Class of '99
Dear Class of 1999,
Greetings from Confer-Vickner Hall, where we are writing this letter today. Each year, the class agents from all Gustavus classes meet on campus to discuss goals for the upcoming year. Today we discussed “The Promise of Gustavus.” Imbedded in this promise is the value of communication and community. We realize as your class agents, we have not fulfilled this aspect of the Promise to you, so we are renewing that promise of communication today.
So, here is what you can look forward to from us in our upcoming reunion year (yes…it’s already been five years!): first and foremost, you can expect class letters, written both by us and by some very special guests, delivered right to your doorstep at least three times a year. This letter will update you on your classmates’ lives, events at the College, opportunities to reconnect and serve Gustavus, and anything else that you would like to see or hear.
While we were here today, we had the opportunity to meet with the new President of the College, Jim Peterson. There is a great bio in the Quarterly, but here is a quick synopsis in case you missed it:
Peterson is a 1964 graduate of Gustavus. He taught in the Osseo School District, received a Doctorate of Entomology from the University of Nebraska – Lincoln, and later served as a research associate at the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Most recently, he was Director of the Science Museum of Minnesota in St. Paul. There, he led the campaign that resulted in the opening of the new $100 million facility in Downtown St. Paul.
Dr. Peterson has a tremendous amount of passion for the mission of Gustavus: lifelong learning, leadership, and service. This mission is part of what makes Gustavus an extraordinary place, and has played a role in bringing each of us to where we are today. So, here is where your classmates are today…but before we get to the updates…the many, many updates…here is a disclaimer: THE INFORMATION YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ IS BASED ON THE MOST CURRENT INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US FROM THE ALUMNI OFFICE. We hope you enjoy reading through all of these updates!
- ALEX FEYDER is an account executive with XIOtech Corporation. He is currently living and working in Boston.
- ALICIA HUBBARD-BARNICK and CHRIS BARNICK celebrated the birth of their son, Charles. “Charlie” was born on February 25, 2003. The family lives in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
- ALLISON BERRY is a graduate student in educational leadership at Sam Houston State University. Allison is living in Tomball, Texas.
- AMY UHLENBRAUCK-WILKINSON married her husband, Kurt, on July 25, 2003. They are living in Waukesha, Wisconsin.
- ANDREA SCHMIDT and MATT CRANE were married in Christ Chapel in November 2002. The couple is currently living in Minneapolis.
- ANGELA WEINZETTEL-CORBETT married her husband, Patrick, on July 25, 2003. The couple is living in Madison, Wisconsin.
- BRIAN FRIEBERG married Brianne Patchell on June 8, 2003. Brian is a music Minister at Lake City Church in Madison, Wisconsin.
- BRYCE ANDERSON is a commercial casualty underwriter for Travelers Insurance in St. Paul.
- CAROL BURT married Matt Reichel in October 2002. She is now a Registered Nurse in Madison Lake.
- CHANDA WALKER married Brent Hall and lives in Portland, Oregon. She is the coordinator of outreach programs for the Oregon Ballet Theatre.
- CHRIS PARKS married HOLLY SWANSON in October 2002. The couple is living in Eden Prairie, and Chris works at EBF & Associates Investments.
- CRAIG ANGELL and his wife, Jennifer (Southwest State University), are the owners of the Le Center Chiropractic & Sports Center. Craig attended the Northwestern College of Chiropractic.
- CRYSTAL LAURVICK is a research associate with the Centre for Health Services Research at the University of Western Australia. In her position, she has been studying the safety and quality of surgical care. She resides in Shenton Park, Australia.
- DEBBIE DAHL is living in Plymouth while pursuing her master’s degree in business administration at the University of St. Thomas.
- DEBORAH KOSKI is an escrow closer at Larson Abstract Company. She is living in Little Falls, Minnesota.
- DEREK KAUFMAN is living in Tennessee where he has studied sports administration at Tennessee State University. In the other half of his life, he has been teaching Spanish.
- ELIZABETH REED-EDEN and her husband, MATT EDEN, are living in Arizona. Liz is working at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, and Matt is a senior analyst at BankOne.
- ERICA VANDEWALL married James Waggoner on July 18, 2003. The couple lives in Buford, Georgia, where she is a computer teacher.
- ERIN FRICK-FINNES is pursuing her master’s degree of nurse anesthesia at the Mayo School of Health Related Sciences in Rochester, and is expected to complete the program in 2005. She is living in Kasson, Minnesota.
- ERIN JOHNSON-CONNELY was married to her husband, Steven, in August 2002. She is currently the training manager at US Bank Small Business Loan Centers in Portland, Oregon.
- FRED PALM is a program associate with the Faculty Resource Network at New York University. Fred is living in NYC.
- HEATHER MAGNUSON-RODNING and her husband, Patrick, are living in Eagan. Heather is a kindergarten teacher in the Minneapolis School District.
- J. ADAM HAISMAN and GRETCHEN HAGEMANN are married and live in Shakopee. Adam is an 8th grade science teacher in the Bloomington School District. Gretchen received her specialist degree in school psychology from Minnesota State University – Moorhead in 2002, and is now a school psychologist in the Shakopee School District.
- JENNIFER MIDTHUN-SCHOMMERS is the proud mother of two daughters! Mara was born on April 8, 2001, and Emma was born on January 21, 2003.
- JENNIFER VILJASTE and NEAL BUDDENSIEK were married on May 31, 2003. Jennifer had been pursuing her doctorate of medicine degree at the University of Minnesota, while Neal was doing the same at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska.
- JEROD ROUK is pursuing his law degree at the Hamline University Law School in St. Paul.
- JESS LUCE is a registered lobbyist at the Minnesota State Capitol for All Parks Alliance for Change (APAC). She is living in St. Paul.
- JESSE TORGERSON is a merchandise planning manager at Target Corporation. At Target, he also coordinates the company’s Meals-on-Wheels volunteer program. He is living in Minneapolis.
- JESSICA FLOREN-JOHNSON and her husband, Darin, are the parents of two children! Carter was born on December 11, 2000, and Kya on August 3, 2002. Jessica is a Registered Nurse at District One Hospital in Kenyon, Minnesota.
- JILL PETERSON is a contract writing analyst with Benfield Inc. in Bloomington. Jill is living in St. Paul.
- JODI MORRIS-KORCHIK was married in September 2002 in Minnetonka. She and her husband, Peter, are living in St. Michael, and Jodi works in downtown Minneapolis for Target Corporation
- JOHANNA SAMMELSON married Jason Majerus ’03, on August 17, 2002. Johanna is a nurse at Fairview Red Wing Medical Center and is also a Realtor with Edina Realty. The couple lives in Lake City.
- JONATHAN HENNEN married LISA FROEMMING! To top it off, they had a son, J.D. Joseph Hennen, on June 2, 2003. The Hennen’s are living in Montrose. Jonathan is a 6th grade teacher in Alexandria, and Lisa is a nurse practitioner.
- JOSHUA MULHERON is a math teacher at St. Thomas Academy in St. Paul.
- JULIE LANDREMAN-SULAMOYO and her spouse Chaka, are the proud parents of a daughter! Kalisia Thandiwe was born on May 13, 2003.
- JUSTIN CAIN is pursuing his law degree at Hamline University Law School, and is living in St. Paul.
- KADIE STONE is a customer service representative & trainer at HickoryTech, Inc. in Mankato.
- KARENA NAFSTAD is an account executive with Universal Music Group in Albany, New York.
- KARI SMITH-RANKIN and her husband, Gregg, are proud to announce the arrival of their daughter Kailia Jasmine! Kailia was just born on August 29, 2003. Kari works as an EFL teacher at Misawa English School in Japan. She also has a graduate degree in international management from Troy State University.
- KELLIE MEYER-MOELLER and her husband, Peter, are the proud parents of a baby boy! Alexander Moeller was born on March 1, 2003.
- KIRSTEN LANGGUTH married RYAN DUSSAULT and they live in Minneapolis with their two-year old son! Kirsten is pursuing her doctorate of dental surgery at the University of Minnesota, and Ryan works as a tennis professional at Flagship Athletic Club.
- KRISTIN LESHER is married to Mike Westbrock ’97. She is living in St. Paul, and works as an office manager at Children’s Therapy.
- KRISTY HOWELL is a social service specialist for the State of Michigan. Kristy is engaged and a fall wedding is planned.
- LAURA NICKERSON-BIRKMAIER is living in Plymouth. She is self-employed at Birkmaier Accounting.
- LESLIE WIEBESIEK-BARFKNECHT was married to Anthony Barfknecht on June 14, 2003. The couple lives in North Mankato, and Leslie is a mental health practitioner with Gerard Treatment Programs.
- MANDY PROROK is living in Tempe, Arizona. She is the international programs coordinator at Arizona State University in Tempe.
- MARGARET ORMESHER-KIRKWOOD married her husband, Kevin, in December 2002. Margaret is a 5th grade teacher at Middlebrook Elementary in Golden Valley. She and her husband are living in Minneapolis.
- MARISSA LINGEN is a freelance writer and lives in Hayward, California.
- MATT DOBOSENSKI is the media services coordinator and head resident in Wahlstrom Hall at Gustavus Adolphus College. Matt and wife, Gigi (Wait ’98) had a son, Garrek, March 31, 2003. Garrek joins brother, Gavin who is three.
- MATT GRUSSING married Valerie Johnson on May 31, 2003, in Raleigh, North Carolina. Matt is a senior instructor for New Horizons Computer Learning Centers in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
- MATT SUNDBERG is a sales representative for West Publishing, and is living in St. Paul.
- MEGAN BAYRD and PAUL HORVATH are planning a May 2004 wedding! Megan will be doing third-year rotations in Mankato and Waseca. She is a medical student at the University of Health Sciences-College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- MEGAN FRENCH-KELLERMAN married her husband, Hal, on June 28, 2003. The couple is living in Westminster, Colorado.
- MICHAEL FRYAR is an account executive with Colle & McVoy. He and his wife, Sarah, live in St. Louis Park.
- MIKE THIEDE married Stephanie Johs ’98 on April 26, 2003, in Oskaloosa, Iowa. Mike is currently a scientist with Cargill, Inc.
- MOLLY CHRISTENSEN-SWENSON and her husband, Michael, live in Atwater, Minnesota. Molly is a mental health practitioner at Woodland Centers. She is also pursuing her master’s degree in counseling psychology at Adler Graduate School in Hopkins.
- NAOMI BOWMAN married Jason Graves on July 5, 2003, and currently is living in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
- NICOLE GARMS-PUDWELL was married to her husband, Scott (Winona State University), in October 2002. The Pudwells are living in Plymouth.
- PAUL ANDRESEN is an accountant with Grant Thornton, LLP, in Alexandria, Minnesota.
- PAUL MONSKEY is an account executive at Solv Technology in Minneapolis, and is living in Plymouth.
- PETER ARNESON is a loan officer at Arlington State Bank in Arlington, Minnesota.
- PHIL EIDSVOLD is a senior program director with Carlson Marketing Group. Phil is living in Minneapolis.
- REBECCA LaZARETE BIEDERMAN is a social studies teacher at Coon Rapids High School. Her husband is Jason Biederman ’00. The Biedermans live in St. Louis Park.
- ROSS SCHERMER is a graduate student at the University of Minnesota, studying electrical engineering.
- SARA GATES is a project manager with Colle & McVoy in Minneapolis.
- SARA LEADHOLM married Garrett Retka on January 22, 2003. The couple lives in Hastings where Sarah is an athletic trainer and substitute teacher at Hastings Senior High School
- SARA ROBINSON is an elementary teacher in the Wayzata School District. Sara recently completed her master’s of art in curriculum & instruction at the University of St. Thomas.
- SHAWN GUDAHL and his wife, Shanna, celebrated the birth of a son, Braden, on November 12, 2002. Shawn is a teacher at Fairmont High School. The Gudahl Family lives in Blue Earth.
- STEPHANIE MARTHALER is the instrumental music director at LeCenter Senior High School. She had previously taught music at Woodbury High School.
- STEPHEN LIGOURI and his wife, Sarah, welcome a baby boy to their family! Joseph was born on May 19, 2003. The family lives in Lindenhurst, New York, and Stephen works as a consumer banker – assistant treasurer for JP Morgan Chase & Company in East Northport, NY.
- STUART GRANDE is pursuing his master’s degree in public health at the University of Indiana in Bloomington, Indiana.
- TERRI CHEE and her husband, David Howard, are the proud parents of a son, Andrew! The family is living in Salem, Massachusetts.
- THERESA FALTESEK received her master’s degree of science in nursing from Vanderbilt School of Nursing in Nashville, Tennessee.
- THOMAS KREBSBACH is living in Goleta, California.
- TODD ROUDABUSH is a 7th grade science teacher at Hopkins West Junior High. Todd is in his 5th year at West, and was recently named department chair. He also coaches boys’ tennis in the spring.
- TODD WALDEN married Corissa Lundeen ’00, on June 22, 2003. The couple lives in St. Paul.
- TOM McHUGH is working as an Admissions counselor at Gustavus Adolphus College. Send him any prospective students you may know!
- TORUNN ALLEN-HARTY and husband, Patrick (St. Thomas), had their first child! Claire Marie Harty was born on June 26, 2003. The Hartys are living in Eden Prairie.
- WARREN STOLTMAN married Amanda Conde on May 3, 2003. Warren received his doctor of optometry degree from The Ohio State University in June 2003. The couple is living in Elk River.
- ZAHILYA AUSTIN and his wife, Trish Hiscock ’00, welcomed a son into their family. Donovan was born on January 20, 2003. Zahilya is a lab testing engineer at TLC Precision Technology. The Austin Family lives in St. Paul.
Did we miss anything? Have you had any changes that you would like published? Are you wondering what happened to one of our classmates? PLEASE e-mail us at <email@example.com>. Updates and information received prior to October 31 will be included in a letter you will receive in November.
As mentioned before, it is our reunion year in 2004. Not only is it a good chance to rekindle friendships and memories from our days on The Hill, but it is also a chance to think about how you can give back to GAC. Here are some ideas:
- Contribute to The Gustavus Fund. This is something we will give you more details about in future mailings…check the College website if you want more info NOW at <gustavus.edu>. You also should have recently received a letter from the Reunion Class Gift Leadership Committee notifying you that opportunities to give are just around the corner. Even if you can’t give a lot, think about what you can give…even if it is just a few dollars, it HELPS.
- Participate in Phonorama for an evening. October 13-16 & 20-23. This is a chance to reconnect with old friends and donate your time to help grow The Gustavus Fund.
- Help plan the reunion!! Let us know if you want to help organize our 5-Year Reunion.
- Attend a GAC sporting event or performance. Check out gustavus.edu for schedules.
- Visit the campus! Come and see how things have changed! If you haven’t been back since graduation, you are missing a new Student Center, track, residence hall (the new Swedish House), and the Hillstrom Art Museum.
If you are interested in any of these opportunities, or would like more information, e-mail us at <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
We really look forward to sharing this new commitment to communication with you all. We also want to make sure that this letter is something that you are excited about. If you have suggestions, or want to share information, please e-mail us!
As we sign off from the place where our friendships and memories all began, we hope you will take a minute to reflect on what Gustavus has meant to you, what it means in your life now, and what it will mean for your future. Remember: Gustavus is a part of what is best in us today…
Colleen Brady Lindstrom, Jesse Torgerson and Phil Eidsvold
1999 Class Agents