Class of '98
We hope all of you are doing well this spring.
First, we are thrilled to welcome Bradley Peterson as the newest 1998 class agent.
I am very excited to join Gigi, and Erin as the third class agent for the Class of ’98. I have been looking for a way to reconnect with classmates and provide service to our alma mater and am pleased to have this opportunity. I currently live in St. Paul, Minnesota with my wife Amy Miller Peterson ’98 and our young son, Soren. Since leaving Gustavus I have been fortunate to have many rewarding professional experiences and have recently joined the firm of Flaherty & Hood, P.A. as an attorney and lobbyist. Again, I look forward to serving you as class agent.
Until next time, all the best,
Believe it or not, it is time to start thinking about our 10 year reunion, which will be October 3-5, 2008.
Wanted: Class members for the 10 year reunion committee
- Have you thought of great ideas of places you may want to meet up with your classmates, or activities you would like to do at a class reunion? Well, you are in luck!! The 10 year reunion is just around the corner. We are looking for a few great Gusties to help us plan the best 10 year reunion!
- Qualifications: Gustavus graduates or non-graduates from the class of ’98
- Responsibilities: Planning a great reunion for the fall of 2008. We will start planning this fall!
- If interested: contact Brad, Erin or Gigi
Bradley Peterson email@example.com
Erin Tripp Halverson firstname.lastname@example.org
Gigi Wait Dobosenski email@example.com
Alumni Office firstname.lastname@example.org
Well, as usual our classmates have been extremely busy in the recent months. Many of you are continuing your education, being recognized in your professional field, getting married and having children. Congratulations!
Education and Professional Accomplishments
- Heath McClelland is a student at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
- Adam Bjork is working on his post doctorate at the University of Arizona in the department on ecology and evolutionary biology. He is studying the evolution of HIV.
- Karen Delgehausen is an administrative talent manager with Pro Staff in Minneapolis, MN.
- Rob Castille is a tennis pro at Lakeview Racquet Club in Greensboro, PA and a tennis coach at Duquesne University.
- Raphaela Dohm is a treasurer for Henkel Corporation in Rockford, IL.
- Jonathan Koenigs is a tennis pro at Lifetime Fitness in Eden Prairie, MN.
- Sara Olson McConnell is a first grade teacher in Jordan, MN and will receive her master’s in education in May from St. Mary’s University.
- Matt Engel was named one of Minnesota’s Rising Stars Super Lawyers for 2007. He founded the Engel Firm, PLLC, in 2002. He and his wife, Melissa Hultgren Engel, live in Maple Grove, MN. Melissa is a kindergarten and gifted and talent teacher for the Minneapolis School District.
- Matt Williams is a business consultant/project manager with MetLife. He is married to Carrie (Boeder ’99) and has 3 kids. They live in Watertown, MN.
- Shannon Worden was married to Shawn Fortune on October 15th, 2005.
- DeAnn DeLoach was married to Jim Deitner Jr. on May 20th, 2006.
- Jennifer Robe married John Reiland on July 8th, 2006.
- Amanda Paulson married Greg Laden on August 19th, 2006.
- Dan Kelly got married on August 20, 2006. He and his wife, Kelly, are at home in Greensboro, NC.
- Mary Ann Dodd-Hermansen had a baby girl, Allison, on February 15, 2006.
- Todd and Angie Bowlby had baby girl, Addison, on May 15th 2006.
- Matt Kusilek and his wife, Melissa ’99, had a baby girl, Meredith Ruth, on September 12, 2006.
- Michelle Anderson Twait and her husband Tyson had a baby boy, Tobias Dean, on September 18, 2006.
- Pete Johnson and his wife, Shannon, had a baby boy, Aidan Patrick, on September 28, 2006.
- Heather McClelland and her husband, Todd, had a baby girl, Caroline Kaye, on November 1, 2006.
- Kathy Patton had a baby girl, Annalisa, in December, of 2006.
- Christopher Boudreau and his wife Prinna Lundquist Boudreau ’97, had a baby girl, Sophia, on December 21st, 2006. She joins her big sister, Annabelle.
- Jen Hedin Gorney and her husband, Keith, had a baby girl, Harper Grace, on February 13, 2007.
If you have any news about your life, please let us know - we love hearing from you! You can email us at 1998 email@example.com.
Alumni Awards Announced
The Alumni Association announces the following 2007 awards selected by the Alumni Board of Directors.
Greater Gustavus Award – Given to those who, by deed, have notably advanced and aided Gustavus Adolphus College:
- Russ and Jan (Ledin) Michaletz ’74 ’74
Distinguished Alumni Citations – Recognizes outstanding and exceptional professional achievement
- Paul Peterson ’94, principal, St. Peter High School, Minnesota State High School Principal of the Year.
- Margaret Anderson Kelliher ’90, house speaker, Minnesota House of Representatives.
First Decade Awards – Recognizes early professional achievement
- Jennifer Pleuss Spande ’97, diplomat, Political and Economic Section, U.S. Embassy, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- Alexander Hill ’97, senior scientist, Medtronic, Inc.
The Greater Gustavus Award and Distinguished Alumni Citations will be presented at the Alumni Banquet on Saturday, May 26, and the First Decade Awards will be presented during Homecoming Weekend, October 13.
Linnaeus Symposium Celebrates Birth of Carl Linnaeus
In celebration of the 300th anniversary of the birth of Carl Linnaeus, Gustavus will host its second Linnaeus Symposium, Linnaeus @ 300, on Wednesday, April 25, 2007. The daylong conference will feature presentations by ethnobotanists Mark Plotkin and Paul Alan Cox, and Linnaean scholars Hans Odoo and Paula Robbins. The day will also include tours of Linnaeus Arboretum, a special photography exhibition by Anders Bjorling, music, dance, and a Scandinavian feast. Visit <gustavus.edu/arboretum/> or call 507/933-6181 to learn more.
Lindau Symposium brings Richard John Neuhaus to campus
The Rev. Richard John Neuhaus, a well-known conservative Catholic intellectual, will address “Religion in American Public Life” at the inaugural Lindau Symposium at Gustavus on Tuesday, May 8, 2007, 7:30 p.m. in Alumni Hall. A gift to the College from Phil ’58 and Nancy Lindau given prior to Phil’s death last April established the symposium at Gustavus that bears his name. Lindau, a commodities trader and executive who served Gustavus as a board member, campaign chair, and longtime volunteer leader, was passionate about the faith-life intersection and the church-relatedness of his alma mater. The symposium, which the Lindau family and College officials anticipate will be an annual event, aims to provide a forum in which diverse intellectual voices and mainstream beliefs and values can be brought together in a liberal arts environment.
“Community Food Security” is Theme of MAYDAY! Peace Conference
"Community Food Security" is the theme for this year's Gustavus MAYDAY! Peace Conference, to be held on May 2. This is an annual conference, devoted to a topic relating to human rights and social justice. Among other events, the daylong conference will feature presentations from author Janet Poppendieck, who wrote Sweet Charity?: Emergency Food and the End of Entitlement, and Mike Hamm, Ph.D., chair of sustainable agriculture at Michigan State University. For more information call the Office of College Relations at 507/933-7520.
Gustavus Choir Reunion to Celebrate 75 Years
Alumni and friends of the Gustavus Choir are welcome to attend a reunion on Saturday, May 5. The day will include an alumni choir rehearsal, a banquet for past and current members of the choir, and a full concert with both the alumni choir and the Gustavus Choir. For more information, contact the Office of Fine Arts Programs at 507/933-7013.
Celebrating 75 Years of Theatre at Gustavus
The Department of Theatre and Dance celebrates 75 years of theatre at Gustavus with a reunion on May 11 and 12. Highlights of the weekend will include an afternoon program sharing memories and monologs from the past 75 years and viewing the performance of The Tempest in Anderson Theatre. For more information and to register, go to the theatre reunion section of the Alumni website at <gustavus.edu/alumni> or call the Alumni Office at 800/487-8437.
Upcoming Alumni Events
- Linnaeus Symposium - April 25
- Gustavus Association of Congregations – April 28
- MAYDAY! Peace Conference: Community Food Security - May 2
- Celebrating 75 years of the Gustavus Choir - May 5
- Lindau Symposium – May 8
Celebrating 75 years of Theatre Reunion - May 11-12
- Class of 1962 - 45th Anniversary Reunion – May 25 & 26
- Class of 1957 - 50th Anniversary Reunion – May 25 & 26
- 50 Year Club Reun
Have a good spring!
1998 Co-Class Agents
Gigi Wait Dobosenski
Erin Tripp Halverson